My Best Season Big Bucks Down! Long Read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Best Season Big Bucks Down! Long Read

This year has definitely been my best year of hunting and harvesting some fine bucks. I haven’t been able to hunt as much as I normally do due to work. However, the few times I’ve been able to make it out have been a success! I’ve been working really hard to sustain my family this year by making some career changes in my life which has been very stressful. All I can say is I’m very blessed and thankful to enjoy God’s beautiful creation in the different parts of Texas!

November 13, 2021 Duval County
    My father and I have been down in South Texas working on a landscape project and were able to go on a Management Deer hunt on our time off. I was first to harvest this nice 4.5 year old Management 8 point buck with the rifle.

November 14, 2021
    The next day my dad had this massive 6.5 year old buck give him a shot opportunity after watching him for a while. The buck ended up scoring 142” with 10 Scoreable points. On this day I was on some turkeys with my bow which was a bit challenging but a successful hunt!

November 20, 2021 Bexar County
    The next weekend I headed a little North to hunt one of the ranches I normally go to. It’ was some tough hunting as usual but all the stars aligned that Saturday evening close to last light. I pulled out my antlers and grunt call and decided to start a call sequence. As soon as I tickled the first round of antlers I heard something snap in the creek bottom behind the stand. I let out a few tending grunts and Doe bleats to keep the interest going. After about 15 mins I started rattling again and was t even finished when I heard the running towards the stand. Again, I let out a few grunts and bleats to maintain some interest. I kept hearing the deer staging in that creek bottom not wanting to make his way towards the open area. I waited another 10 mins and rattled very lightly, let out a few calls, and this time even some light snort wheezes. Without hearing noise and light fading away I decide to call my wife to let her know I didn’t have success and would be getting down very soon. It didn’t even take 3 mins when I hear this massive buck walk out slowly and start nibbling on some corn. “SHOOTER” I said! He was at 20 yards when I drew back on him. As I looked through my sight I quickly ran through the shot in my head. “Ok relax, settle your pin wait! Arm back let him move it forward. Ok good there it goes aim low ok good now slowly squeeze and follow through” Boom the arrow vanishes behind the 20 yd pin! Shot was executed as anticipated. I watched him run about 25 yds when he slowed down and quickly expired. Countless sits and failed attempts came down to this one moment where the whole world freezes around you for that split second where it’s just you and a majestic beast who you just outsmarted. As a Bowhunter you live for moments like this where everything works in your favor. This is my Best Bow Buck to date and a hunt I’ll never forget. After inspecting his jaw we determined that he was a 6.5 year (possibly 7) 10 Pt. South Texas buck scoring 137”.

November 26, 2021 Menard County
    This weekend we headed to our lease and small property in the Hill Country. I was looking to fill a doe tag. With no success we headed to our small property that we purchased earlier this year in Menard. Earlier in the season my cousin had an encounter with an odd buck that had a small rack but big body. He described him as short and stalky reminded him of a small Bull which became his name “El Torito” (Baby Bull). He was an old Cull Buck
    On Friday afternoon we headed to the stand in hopes of shooting one of our shooters or even El Torito. About an hour into the hunt I heard some grunts in the drainage behind my stand and I quickly answered back with some short grunts. 3 young bucks made their way to the feeder pen and began to fed. About 30 mins later I hear some deep grunts and rocks kicked up in the same direction these bucks came from but would never step out. The younger deer finally left the pen and I started to do some light rattling and calls. I immediately heard the deer make his way towards me but hang up in the drainage. I waited about 15 mins and started to rattle again lightly. I hadn’t even finished when I hear the deer come running in. I quickly grab my bow and get ready when he stops again and just hangs up. He then bolts away and goes up a ridge that was about 80 yards away. I noticed it was him “ El Torito” I started to rattle and call again lightly but to no avail. It wasn’t until I let out a snort wheeze that really ****** him off and made him come on a string towards the stand. He finally came in broadside at 50 yards which was a little more then I was comfortable shooting. Knowing something was up, he bolted back to where he came from. I tried rattling and calling to no avail. The rest of the evening was slow none of my other shooters made their way to the stand. As darkness approached I packed up and headed to the truck. My cousin was already waiting for me and told me that he missed El Torito at last light. He came into the feeder pen at 10 yards and missed him high by aiming mid body with his 20 yd pin. We made our way to the hotel that night preparing for the next morning.

November 27, 2021
    Conditions were perfect this morning. It was cold and raining lightly with conditions clearing up by the time we got to the stands according to the radar. As I made my way to the stand I bumped a lot of deer that were feeding in the pen waiting for the feeder to go off. One of those deer was El Torito. I slowly climbed up the stand and settled down. I could hear all the deer down in the drainage waiting for the feeder to go off. Once the feeder set off I heard some deer make there way into the pen. Some deep grunts came from the drainage and the buck slowly made his way towards the stand with a doe in front of him. I immediately noticed that it was him behind the doe. As they made their way to the clearing he started chasing her which led him away from the feeder. He then turned back around and pushed all the deer out of the pen as he jumped in. He fed for a while before presenting me with a shot. As I was about to draw back noticed from the corner of my eye that a doe had me pegged and was looking up at me. I kept a close eye and waited for her to turn as she did I slowly drew back successfully. As I settled my anchor point he quickly walked behind the feeder and began eating. Great! By now the Doe was looking up at me again and stomping. I held at full draw for what felt about a minute before letting down. That was close but I was ready again as the buck circled back again and presented a shot opportunity. Again, I watched the doe as she started looking down the creek and slowly came to full draw. Finally! I anchored up and settled my sight on the deer as he started to make his way behind the feeder again. I quickly ranged him at 16 yds and settled the pin low on the deadly V aiming for the opposite shoulder on a slightly quartering away shot. As I executed the shot I watched my arrow disappear behind my pin and into the shoulder. Great Shot! He went on a death run and crashed into the pen before jumping out and crashing about 25 yards away. Countless encounters finally caught up to the Baby Bull. After giving him sometime to expire I made my way to recover him and was immediately disappointed when realizing he had broken off his right side main beam. I had watched his body so much that I never really noticed that his right side was half gone. Nevertheless he was an old buck that needed to get out of the heard. After inspecting his jaw we determined that he was a 6.5 year old as well with his teeth being worn down and a couple missing. Even though he didn’t have much for a rack I was really excited on outsmarting an old Hill Country warrior. He never really appeared during shooting hours and the few times he did he slipped out of our hands. El Torito was a fine challenge for a bow Hunter and really enjoyed the harvest.

I still have a couple of tags and shooters running around so hopefully I can make it out sometime in December for some late season hunts. In the meantime I’m enjoying reliving all the moments November has provided. I’m just thankful and blessed to be able to go out and enjoy God’s beautiful creation. Thanks for reading along and hope everyone finds success for the remainder of the season!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jjaimes; 11-29-2021, 01:17 AM.

Nice work, sounds like a great season!

Comment

Congrats on all the kills and getting your personal best bow buck.

Comment

Wow, that thing is a stud…..Waydago!

Comment

Heck of a season.....Congrats!

Comment

Banner season for sure, congrats!!

Comment

Great season! Congrats!

Comment

Great write up on some nice animals. Good shooting. Congrats to a heck of a November.

Comment

What a fun season!

Comment

Congrats on your best to date! Great bucks!

Comment

Congrats!!!! Great bucks!!!

Comment

You have had an outstanding season for sure. You have made the most out of your time and taken some really nice bucks. Congratulations to you!

Comment

That's great.....Congrats!!

Comment

What a season—congrats!

Comment

Wow congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X