No announcement yet.

2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love those feeders! I just can't keep the coons from chewing holes in them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting morning! Last Friday morning I witnessed every deer I observed checking all my stands to see if I was there and scent checking the doe trails that also encompasses me…

So I pulled my “north wind” stand and backed up another 50+ yards into the only dang tree I could make work. A cedar… I’d rather hang a stand on a cactus. Where I wanted to be exactly wasn’t really huntable, so I made the best of it

Today was first sit. I can see probably 500 sq feet of ground. Young small buck walked past like planned after first light. Possibly was in feed pen earlier and walked past me on his day to day routine. He would have winded me in original stand

Short time later. Young 8 working edge of thicket original stand was on… wouldn’t have had a shot there either. 35-40 yards

Later 2 doe, perfect. They were wind checking the original stand and were not 6 yards from me! Wind gust finally spooked them and they left

….. then “Main Event” Same trail the 8 was on. Making scrapes the whole time.

Finaly a pair of bobcats

5 deer, 1 being an 8.5 buck and at best the smallest MIGHT be on one of the many cameras in that area and feed pen.

Don’t rely on those cameras to tell you everything
      Don’t be afraid to get off even the hand corn

I learned a lot more today on how these animals are using the land and pattering me than I have all year with LOTS of cameras and locations. Such a small window of what’s happening

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Interesting morning! Last Friday morning I witnessed every deer I observed checking all my stands to see if I was there and scent checking the doe trails that also encompasses me…

So I pulled my “north wind” stand and backed up another 50+ yards into the only dang tree I could make work. A cedar… I’d rather hang a stand on a cactus. Where I wanted to be exactly wasn’t really huntable, so I made the best of it

Today was first sit. I can see probably 500 sq feet of ground. Young small buck walked past like planned after first light. Possibly was in feed pen earlier and walked past me on his day to day routine. He would have winded me in original stand

Short time later. Young 8 working edge of thicket original stand was on… wouldn’t have had a shot there either. 35-40 yards

Later 2 doe, perfect. They were wind checking the original stand and were not 6 yards from me! Wind gust finally spooked them and they left

Finaly a pair of bobcats

5 deer, 1 being an 8.5 buck and at best the smallest MIGHT be on one of the many cameras in that area and feed pen.

I learned a lot more today on how these animals are using the land and pattering me than I have all year with LOTS of cameras and locations. Such a small window of what’s happening
        Deer are smart and can be difficult to hunt, but I swear yours must be MENSA candidates.

Comment

This past Friday I was hunting at our farm and had a super nice buck served up to me on a big, fat silver platter, but for whatever reason I just couldn't do it on that deer. I don't know why. But I spent the next three days kicking myself and hoping he'd come back, though he never did.

Sunday morning I saw another good buck, this one I wanted to shoot immediately, but he was in a narrow opening and my shot was blocked by some tree limbs I had never imagined being an issue. So no dice there either.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I've never killed a buck on my birthday, so to give myself the best chance possible I drove 2.5 hours yesterday to our farm carrying all the equipment necessary to remove said limbs and branches. With that done now I can see the deer crossing that was being obscured previously.

This should be the last prime weekend to get it done out there this year, so here's hoping I can appease the deer gods and they smile on me. This has been tough season so I need something smile about.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            Deer are smart and can be difficult to hunt, but I swear yours must be MENSA candidates.
            Lol

Most everything I hunt and land in general in my area is super fragmented now 40 acres is the average. Was 200 when I was growing up. So on 200 you had a father and a son… and probably a cheap uncle or brother in law. Lol…

Now it’s 40 acres…. With the exact same hunter profile. There’s a hunter every 20-30 acres. They don’t get past 3 by walking up to piles of swamp donkey. They know when they are being hunted

I hated to move that stand it was the most comfortable one I thing I ever sat! This cedar SUCKS! … but it’s in a good place. Lol I could have shot 3 “deer” this morning…. Just not THE deer lol

Comment

Finaly a pair of bobcats

Good stuff here. I’m on broken up pass-through property also and have been making myself stay out of certain stands so they aren’t over-used.

Also, are we considering Hunt County East TX? If so I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2021-22 east texas season

Lol

Most everything I hunt and land in general in my area is super fragmented now 40 acres is the average. Was 200 when I was growing up. So on 200 you had a father and a son… and probably a cheap uncle or brother in law. Lol…

Now it’s 40 acres…. With the exact same hunter profile. There’s a hunter every 20-30 acres. They don’t get past 3 by walking up to piles of swamp donkey. They know when they are being hunted

I hated to move that stand it was the most comfortable one I thing I ever sat! This cedar SUCKS! … but it’s in a good place. Lol I could have shot 3 “deer” this morning…. Just not THE deer lol

Why do you despise a cedar? It’s my absolute favorite tree to hang sets in north Oklahoma. I wish we had big enough cedars down here to hang in. I like the cover scent aspect as well as the bushy-ness as long as you don’t over trim

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                  Good stuff here. I’m on broken up pass-through property also and have been making myself stay out of certain stands so they aren’t over-used.

Also, are we considering Hunt County East TX? If so I’m in.

yes, i got hunt county approved a couple years ago, its close enough

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    yes, i got hunt county approved a couple years ago, its close enough

Phew! We can’t get in the Grayson/Cooke/Fannin thread or Blackland Prairie thread. Good to know we kinda fit in somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                      Why do you despise a cedar? It’s my absolute favorite tree to hang sets in north Oklahoma. I wish we had big enough cedars down here to hang in. I like the cover scent aspect as well as the bushy-ness as long as you don’t over trim

That's what I was thinking too...

Comment

Cedars are fine when I have time to prep them and tripod or ladder. I’m in a loc on and I had to saw enough limbs off the back to get in it I could cross fence the king ranch. lol

I’ll hunt em if they are where I need to be, but prefer several others

This ones huge I’m 22’-23’ up according to my 25’ pull rope

And sap…. Good lawd I can probably cut the straps off after season and just have the stand glued up there

Comment

First buck I seen @ 6:59 this morning
                          Attached Files

Comment

Man, you're up there alright!! Cedars catch a lot of wind too because of the thick foliage... Better be tied in! Good luck!

Comment

Got chores squared away, back up the mighty cedar

I don’t dislike hunting them…. I dislike setting them up, especially on a quick set up
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                                Phew! We can’t get in the Grayson/Cooke/Fannin thread or Blackland Prairie thread. Good to know we kinda fit in somewhere.

right...we're like step children

Comment

Working...
                                X