No announcement yet.

For those that have been their own GC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done two of my own and we are planning another after this spring. The very first thing to do is get a porta pooper delivered. The guys working for you will greatly appreciate it.

Comment

I did a 60x40 shop with a 1200sft apartment upstairs and 300 sqft office downstairs. I thought it would be straight forward. Lots of little things that didn't get thought through on the front end that cost me time and money on the back end. It woulda been easier and probably cost about the same to use a gc. There is no replacement for training and experience. That's why gc's exist. If you don't have someone you can lean on through the process I'd suggest a gc.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife did ours but she has been in construction forever. Both on the residential and commercial side and both in the field project managing and in the office running purchasing departments and writing subcontractors agreements.

A few things to note. #1 most people don't know how to negotiate with subs. They have no idea what the price should be and they don't know what the scope of work should be. #2. Most people cannot walk a house frame like an inspector would and catch all the errors. #3 Most people don't know how to schedule the trades properly and have time to supervise the project. Having these 3 super powers are what saves you all the money during your build.

There are companies out there that will guide you through the process but they aren't cheap AND usually their subs aren't cheap either.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          I am considering doing this, but at 65 I am not sure I want to go throught the stress/headaches.Also, wife doesn't think I know enough folks in the building trades...she's correct on that.

We retired and moved into a custom home in January. Our son is a builder and was the GC. That took it’s toll on our sanity. I can’t imagine adding being the GC myself to the pot and stirring it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
            My wife did ours but she has been in construction forever. Both on the residential and commercial side and both in the field project managing and in the office running purchasing departments and writing subcontractors agreements.

A few things to note. #1 most people don't know how to negotiate with subs. They have no idea what the price should be and they don't know what the scope of work should be. #2. Most people cannot walk a house frame like an inspector would and catch all the errors. #3 Most people don't know how to schedule the trades properly and have time to supervise the project. Having these 3 super powers are what saves you all the money during your build.

There are companies out there that will guide you through the process but they aren't cheap AND usually their subs aren't cheap either.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

These are great points.

I'll add some of the things I came across while building my current house just for reference.

-Plumbing rough was off due to the thicker walls of a barndo. I found this prior to pouring and had it fixed.
            -Back porch was smaller than what the plans indicated. Noticed and had changed prior to pouring.
            -After the slab was poured, I noticed the forms on one corner had slipped some. Who knows how long (if ever) it would have been before the foreman noticed it.
            - Metal door leading into shop was off. Found and had changed prior to tin going on.
            - Sub doing the slab and metal building erection was two months late getting complete per our contract, throwing the whole schedule off. I had to stay in their ear and threaten liquidated damages before they finished and settled on a 12% reduced fee.

It was fairly smooth after that point, but I did much of the work myself once I was dried in. Be prepared to study plans and check everyone's work at the end of the day. All that said, as stressful as it was I am looking forward to our next house which we plan to start in two years!

Comment

Working...
            X