High Shoulder Bow Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Shoulder Bow Shot

I’m just eat up today. The frustration of all the time spent preparing, sitting, waiting, practicing, and then botch an 18 yard chip shot.

It happened pretty quick this morning, 5-6 bucks and a doe. The one I wanted came out at 18 yards and I stopped him and sent it. As soon as it hit him, I had that gut wrenching feeling. Arrow missed its mark a hit and hit him a little high on the shoulder, 10-12” of penetration and arrow snapped off. We get on the trail and there is just so little blood and we lost our track after 350 yards or so.

Blood was bright red, but on the thin side. Never noticed any bubbles in what blood we did find. I think it’s obvious he ran for the first 75 yards or so until he got to cover and then it appeared he started walking. Just small drops anywhere from 20-40 yards apart. He ended up crossing a creek and we found one speck on the other side.

For those of you that have hit a buck high in the shoulder, what has been your outcome? Do we think he may still be alive?

Never hit one there but it sounds like muscle blood to me and no vitals hit. He’s gonna hurt but probably not fatal.

Comment

Hit several axis bucks high shoulder with my longbow. Muscle blood like you describe. They were back at the feeder 2 weeks later.

Comment

Arrow broke off inside him? That deer is gonna get an infection and coyotes will get him. It sucks.

I’ve made high shots with pass through and the deer are fine, but I’ve never seen a deer again that had arrow break and remain in him.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
          Arrow broke off inside him? That deer is gonna get an infection and coyotes will get him. It sucks.

I’ve made high shots with pass through and the deer are fine, but I’ve never seen a deer again that had arrow break and remain in him.
          Yes. I would say 8” or so are still in him

Comment

Seen a few hit there. Some by me, some by others. They usually show back up at the same feeder 3-4 weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
              Yes. I would say 8” or so are still in him
              I’d keep an eye out for buzzards for the next week or so. Maybe you can find his antlers. It sucks bud.

Comment

I’d keep an eye out for buzzards for the next week or so. Maybe you can find his antlers. It sucks bud.
                That’s the plan. Luckily this place is just 15 minutes down the road. Will be easy to swing by for the next week or so

Comment

My daughter shot one the same way years ago. We watched him walk away for a couple hundred yards with lots of blood running down his shoulder and leg. Got a dog that tracked him a long way. He showed back up five days later with a little bit of a limp and lived two more years before he disappeared.

Comment

were you shooting from a tree stand or from ground level?

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                      were you shooting from a tree stand or from ground level?
                      About 18-20’ in a tree

Comment

If that arrow is broke off in him, he's not gonna make it.

Comment

I did the same a few years ago. Shoulder blade shot. Had very little blood that we didnt' pick up till atleast 50 yards away. Never found the arrow but from the video looked to be 8-10" of penetration. Shot out of a 15' treestand at 25 yards. Showed back up 3 weeks later with not even a limp but a pretty nasty wound still. Saw him for another 6 months before I guess he moved on.

Comment

Hit a good deer high shoulder last season.. We spent the better part of 2 days looking for this deer. 30 days later he showed back up at the feeder in bad shape. Took the follow up shot during rifle season, but it amazes me how tough they are. The trypan was lodged in the opposite shoulder.

Comment

If there are any coyotes around, you won’t be seeing any buzzards.
                              My brother’s grandson shot a doe a couple weeks back. Same thing, high shoulder. He got a complete pass thru, said blood trail went about 40 yards then nothing. Never found deer and so far I haven’t seen anything on camera of her, if you can see anything at all.
                              His little brother shot a spike on youth weekend with a rifle. His dad thought he missed. I got pics of the little fella with holes on each side of his back. Looks like the bullet went under the skin just above the backbone. We dubbed that deer with the name of The Bullet Hole Buck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X