Solar lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar lease?

Any land owners here doing a solar lease?

Pros / cons?

Cons you lose the use of the land for 40 years. Pro they pay out the *** for it and you can buy a new similar place in 4-5 years and still own and get paid on the original

Comment

I’ve got 400 acres going to let them put 200 acres of solar panels and the other half put in a turf farm. I’ve got cows on the 200 I want to lease, the solar pays 675 per acre. Wife’s uncle has 1200 acres down the road from me that’s he’s leasing to solar, pays way better than cotton.

Comment

Are they going to clean it up when this fad is over? Sure would hate to have hundreds of acres of glass busted all over the place

Comment

Depending on what the previous use of the land was I would say solar farms have a pretty negative ecological impact. I suppose if you own the land it’s your choice to do as you wish but habitat destruction should not be ignored. And solar seems to be way worse than wind in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            I’ve got 400 acres going to let them put 200 acres of solar panels and the other half put in a turf farm. I’ve got cows on the 200 I want to lease, the solar pays 675 per acre. Wife’s uncle has 1200 acres down the road from me that’s he’s leasing to solar, pays way better than cotton.
            $675 per acre per what ? Year ? Month ?

Comment

Read the lease really carefully. My mom was approached about leasing some of her property for a solar farm. It was an incredibly one-sided lease that paid okay but rendered the property virtually useless for anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                $675 per acre per what ? Year ? Month ?
                Per month would be wonderful but it’s per year

Comment

675 a year per acre wouldn’t be enough for the hassle

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                    Read the lease really carefully. My mom was approached about leasing some of her property for a solar farm. It was an incredibly one-sided lease that paid okay but rendered the property virtually useless for anything else.
                    +1 Lots if that going on out here in Central Tx

I don’t own land to have it unusable for anything else.
                    If I was young and could make enough to buy another place immediately I might consider it
                    But I don’t have the time or energy to move and rebuild again. YMMV

Comment

Working...
                    X