• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not so fast!

Comment

2018/19 College Football Pre-Bowl Season

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
      Crazy? Get ready for expansion talks. B1G is stirring the pot and eyeing TX/OU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes crazy to have a division but eliminate the conference championship in exchange for a one v two. Then why not just eliminate the divisions.

TX and OU should do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Brock Middlebrook; 12-06-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brock Middlebrook View Post
        Yes crazy to have a division but eliminated the conference championship in exchange for a one v two. Then why not just eliminate the divisions.

Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Brock Middlebrook View Post
          Yes crazy to have a division but eliminated the conference championship in exchange for a one v two. Then why not just eliminate the divisions.

Not sure about that. I already miss some of the old SWC rivalries. Perhaps they could play TCU, BU and Tech OOC?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Yeah, why on earth would you want the two best teams in your conference in the conference championship game...
            I do want the two best teams, but I don't want anything to be subjective. If you get into picking the two best from the 14 teams in the SEC subjectively (like the CFPO committee), since there is no way they can all play each other, then 'favorites' start getting picked. The team that can draw a bigger crowd - even if nobody wants to admit it - would have an advantage. Vandy would have even less of a chance, being so small, while Tennessee who sticks on ice could still fill the stadium.

East plays its games, West plays its games, the division winners meet in Atlanta to figure things out on the field, not from the conference room at a 5-star hotel.

Comment

The only time the 13th data point means anything in the Big 12 is if you don't have an undefeated team.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                The only time the 13th data point means anything in the Big 12 is if you don't have an undefeated team.
                Which last happened when?
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
                  which last happened when?

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
                    I do want the two best teams, but I don't want anything to be subjective. If you get into picking the two best from the 14 teams in the SEC subjectively (like the CFPO committee), since there is no way they can all play each other, then 'favorites' start getting picked. The team that can draw a bigger crowd - even if nobody wants to admit it - would have an advantage. Vandy would have even less of a chance, being so small, while Tennessee who sticks on ice could still fill the stadium.

East plays its games, West plays its games, the division winners meet in Atlanta to figure things out on the field, not from the conference room at a 5-star hotel.
                    The choice would lie in the hands of the CFP committee. The two highest ranked teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                      Correct, well before the current CFP format.

Beyond that question...

There are, of course, three undefeated teams in this year's CFP. You can make the case that OSU shouldn't have lost to Purdue. In that case, combined with PYB's scenario - undefeated BigXII team (would have required OU to beat tu in RRS) - the BigXII would require the 13th data point be assured of a spot, no?
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                        The choice would lie in the hands of the CFP committee. The two highest ranked teams.
                        Too much subjectivity - just like the BIG12 plays for that 13th data point, let the SEC figure it out on the field.

I would like to see more E/W games in the regular season though, TAMU has two teams-GA and SC- scheduled for '19 from the east, no reason the other teams can't do the same.

Looking at the schedule for Bama it looks like they do also - Tennessee and SC. Also found this little clip in the article where I found their schedule 'The Crimson Tide will get two bye weeks -- Oct. 5 and Nov. 2 -- preceding games with Texas A&M and LSU, respectively.'

Between the bye weeks and the high probability of TAMU and LSU loosing their best defensive player to a targeting call the week before, it looks like Bama has things planned out pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
                          Too much subjectivity - just like the BIG12 plays for that 13th data point, let the SEC figure it out on the field.

I would like to see more E/W games in the regular season though, TAMU has two teams-GA and SC- scheduled for '19 from the east, no reason the other teams can't do the same.
                          Each SEC team has two cross-divisional matchups each season, including a constant cross-divisional "rivalry" game. I'd like to see it expanded to three to get to 9 conference games each.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Each SEC team has two cross-divisional matchups each season.
                              Need to add one to play 9 with 3 OOC.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                                Need to add one to play 9 with 3 OOC.
                                I was editing to reflect that preference.
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X