The one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one.

A do it all custom built rifle in any one caliber short or long action, for hunting small to big game. And even shooting long distance matches. What would you choose and why?

.260 Remington. I’ve got one built out custom. Plenty of knockdown, fast, especially if you reload. Light recoil. I’ve taken mine out past 1000 yards and it out performs my .308’s easily. Plus, great factory ammo available if you don’t reload.

Others I might consider would be 6.5 which is balistically very similar, 7x57 or .280 Rem.

Comment

280 Ackley Improved

Comment

Tried and true 300 Win mag

Comment

A 7mm short mag of some sort built on a long action, 26" medium contour barrel.

Comment

30-06, it will do it all

Comment

6.5 saum

Plenty for all NA game and great ballistics with low recoil

Comment

A bespoke mauser action in 3006. A guy i know has one and it is the most badaxx hunting rifle i have ever laid hands on. Way out of my price range, but there was no budget mentioned in the op. I dont care for longrange matches so that was not considered in my reply

Comment

Zero agreement. Ask Cajun Blake..........

Me I like the 6.5X55 Swed for it's bc numbers in normal hunting situations. I do not shoot past 500 yards, and that is paper.......
                  Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 02-02-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

6.5x284 Norma on long action throated for 140+ grain bullets. Can find good brass easy, easy to load for and great bullet selection with high bc. Little more power than 260 rem and 6.5 creedmore but not a magnum powder burner if you want to do long range matches

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                      Zero agreement. Ask Cajun Blake..........

Me I like the 6.5X55 Swed for it's bc numbers in normal hunting situations. I do not shoot past 500 yards, and that is paper.......
                      I like your thinking.

>E

Comment

Small and big? 7 mag. Depending on your definition of small...:

300 WM deserves a nod, but 7 mag is the winner on the smaller end. It’s a silly question though because we all own calibers up and down the spectrum, even if 90% on TBH only hunt white tails with an an occasional black buck on the small end and elk on most of the bigger end.

Still, if I had to limit myself, which will never happen, 7 mag.

Although I do live an ‘06 like a couple of those old prom dates...

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          Tried and true 300 Win mag
                          Bingo. There's no such thing as too dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
                            6.5x284 Norma on long action throated for 140+ grain bullets. Can find good brass easy, easy to load for and great bullet selection with high bc. Little more power than 260 rem and 6.5 creedmore but not a magnum powder burner if you want to do long range matches
                            Winner!!! Although I did build a straight 284 Win last year and it’s a close close second

Comment

6.5 creed, 270, or 7mm rem depending on you're definition of big you may need to jump to 300 win mag.

Try not to push your bullets past 3000 fps so you don't burn barrels to fast

Comment

Working...
                              X