Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In for video....

Comment

Recoil wasn’t as bad as I expected, and the accuracy shows some potential. The first two shots were nearly in the same hole. This is the group that I fired from the bench during the video; there was no cooling down between shots.
      Attached Files

Comment

Not too bad, when I can calm the fears of impending doom I can get just under an inch with my 1895 Marlin in 45-70. Love that rifle but I'm only good for about 6-8 shots from the bench and I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          Not too bad, when I can calm the fears of impending doom I can get just under an inch with my 1895 Marlin in 45-70. Love that rifle but I'm only good for about 6-8 shots from the bench and I'm done.
          Yep. 1&2 weren’t that bad. #3 started to smart!!

Comment

I’m shooting a Ruger 1 45-70 on my bison hunt next month. Using 405 grain Buffalo Bore rounds that run 2000 FPS and 3597 ft lbs. Hitting the range Sunday to check my scope.

Comment

Both the Ruger Number 1 and Number 3, in 45-70 can be loaded a lot hotter than a lever gun. They can be loaded up pretty close to a 458 Win. Mag. I shot a Ruger Number 3, some guy cooked up some extremely hot 500 solids for. That was the hardest recoiling gun I have ever shot, it had worse recoil than the 460 Weatherby Mag. I shot, sometime before that. I have shot multiple 458 Win. Mags. those are typically fairly tame recoiling guns, with factory loads. If I ever bought another Ruger number 1, it would be a 45-70, I would not mind having a Number 3 in 45-70, but I would not load it as hot as that nut job did.

That should be a fun gun you have, I am envious.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                Both the Ruger Number 1 and Number 3, in 45-70 can be loaded a lot hotter than a lever gun. They can be loaded up pretty close to a 458 Win. Mag. I shot a Ruger Number 3, some guy cooked up some extremely hot 500 solids for. That was the hardest recoiling gun I have ever shot, it had worse recoil than the 460 Weatherby Mag. I shot, sometime before that. I have shot multiple 458 Win. Mags. those are typically fairly tame recoiling guns, with factory loads. If I ever bought another Ruger number 1, it would be a 45-70, I would not mind having a Number 3 in 45-70, but I would not load it as hot as that nut job did.

That should be a fun gun you have, I am envious.
                This makes me want to do two things: buy a 500 grain mold, and buy some 300 grain bullets and some 4831!!

Comment

I've been getting some surprising accuracy from the Lee 500gr 90376 mold but haven't tried pushing them hard. Double check your powder numbers, I bet your thinking of 4198 or 4895.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                    I've been getting some surprising accuracy from the Lee 500gr 90376 mold but haven't tried pushing them hard. Double check your powder numbers, I bet your thinking of 4198 or 4895.
                    You are correct. 4198. Too many numbers running around here haha.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E32D6C4D-1979-4A60-9E5C-684EF9913D66.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	24570922

Got the Ruger dialed in with the 405 gr buffalo bore ammo (left). Can’t wait to see the results next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                        [ATTACH]945450[/ATTACH]

Got the Ruger dialed in with the 405 gr buffalo bore ammo (left). Can’t wait to see the results next month.
                        What bullet is loaded into those?

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                          What bullet is loaded into those?
                          Not sure.... buffalo bore just says it’s a jacket flat nose. The bullet on the right is a 325gr hornady leverevoltion with a elastomer Flex Tip and MonoFlex bullet

Comment

I have to say, I woke up this morning with a sore shoulder. Definitely going to dial her back a bit.

Comment

I would be testing the jfn bullets, there are lots of stories of the blowing up especially the Remington's and Speers.The 405 WFN Buffalo Bore is a much better choice for hunting. I can text you a pic of a pig with one of then thru his lungs it is ugly.

Comment

Working...
                              X