No announcement yet.

single shot rifle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies folks. I didn't know a no 1 was made in stainless.

I hadn't hunted in many years. I have shot but not hunted. target shooting and plinking is usually done in the open and on nice days. I decided to hunt again this year so I bought myself a stainless rossi 92 to use in bad weather, but I discovered something. I can't see open sights in hunting situations anymore. I knew my close vision had given out I just didn't consider how it would effect sights deep in the woods.

I want a gun that is lightweight because when I hunt, I still hunt. I also sometimes carry a gun on horseback. I have shot a contender for almost 40 years and like single shot guns. I don't ever remember needing a second shot faster than I can reload my contender except maybe with pigs and then it needs to be an autoloader. I figure a single shot SS rifle with a scope will fit my needs the best. I'm now guessing for availability an Encore my be my best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
      H&R indeed made stainless but they are defunkt and hard to find. My 444 below.

Johnny, That H&R with a lighter barrel would be great. I'll try to look for one of those too.

Comment

Merkel K3

Comment

If you decide to go Encore, don’t be overzealous in caliber selection. The stock design makes them pretty brutal. I don’t mind recoil, but even a .308 will make you wince.

Comment

Kosetx,

“Lightweight” cannot be used as a descriptor for most single shots as the usually weigh significantly more than other actions.

The utilitarian simplicity, and how it carries is usually the alure.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
              This is best described by say a recurve hunter...Just where they call home.
              Gotcha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PNOAK View Post
                Merkel K3

Great choice
                Expensive but very durable I have the K1 in 7mm08.

Comment

I’m with Johnny44. CVA single shots are pretty good bang for the buck. Ive had 2. They shoot lights out and have really nice triggers. The accuracy is really impressive for a cheaper rifle. Here is a pic of my 450, if I can get it to load
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	24570878

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool pic

Comment

How did you get those two pigs to take a nap under your gun like that?

Comment

Henry makes a real nice looking single shot now.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                          Henry makes a real nice looking single shot now.
                          ^^^This^^^

Comment

I have Encores, NEF's, and CVA's. Encore will beat you to death. The nef is now limited to the used market only. The Henry is nice, but triggers need work to be usable on most of them. The cva is cheap, reliable, and has a good trigger out of the box. I have a blackout, a 35 rem. and a whelen in the cva, and my son just bought a 6.5 man bun. All shoot accurately too.

Comment

I have a stainless encore in 7 mag. I had a muzzle break added to take some kick out of it.. it's not something you want to shot 20 times but I never feel the recoil with a critter in the cross hairs.

Comment

I’m a huge Ruger #1 fan (bought my fifth one today ...a heavy barrel 25-06). They are super strong actions, very accurate rifles, come in a wide range of calibers, and hold their value very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X