Can You Buy Just One AR-15 to "Do It All?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Buy Just One AR-15 to "Do It All?"

I was looking at AR pistols and was wondering, if I buy one AR-15, could I hunt with it & use it well for home defense? Without changing the optic/sights?

Thanks guys!

I don't even know what an ar pistol is but a grendel is a game getter for sure.

Comment

AR pistol is the short barreled kind- like 10.5" bbl

I wondered about the chambering- is it more important that you choose a round that can do it all or a platform or an optic?

Comment

Yes. 10.5-14.5 in barrel with either a red dot and magnifier or with an LPVO. Add a light like a Surefire or Modlite, with an SBA3 or SBA4 pistol brace and you’re golden. Check out some BCM options they make a ton of great stuff that isn’t super expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whatever magnified optic you want on top and a red dot on a 45 degree mount?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
            Whatever magnified optic you want on top and a red dot on a 45 degree mount?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

While this can be a good idea it won’t be effective if you don’t train with it or any setup you have for that matter. A good 1-6 can be used out pretty far and also up close quickly but an offset RMR is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys- appreciate the help. QH- what is a 1-6? And an offset RMR?

Comment

I wouldn’t go with an AR pistol in light of all the crap the ATF is likely to pull. Get a 16” AR rifle or a 14.5” rifle with a pin and welded flash hider. 5.56 is fine. Not my favorite caliber for hogs but if I only could choose one AR caliber that would be it. Get a BCM (best value) or get a Knights (but be prepared to pay for it). For optics either get a 1-6 LPVO, a 4X trijicon with a 45 degree offset red dot, or just a red dot. I think the 1-6 LPVO would be my choice if I could only have one do all set up.

Comment

Thanks DP

Comment

1-6 is the magnifying power. Are you going to shoot this suppressed? Distance you're trying to get to? 5.56 is common but if you shoot suppressed, I'd shoot for a barrel longer than 10" as you'll potentially end up with erosion in your can from peening it with unspent powder.

Comment

As far as home defense goes, you'll prob get some over penetration so just beware of that when pulling the trigger. however, it does provide an easy to shoot option that has some capacity and little to no recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by McPatrickClan View Post
                        Thanks guys- appreciate the help. QH- what is a 1-6? And an offset RMR?

A "1-6" is a variable magnification scope. Such as a 1-6x32 scope. You could get that with a lighted variable retical for use in low or no light conditions such as at night for home defense, or hunting hogs. At the 1x setting, it would have no magnification which is perfect for very close quarters out to what ever your eyes are good for.

Edit: Looks like Wanlail has faster fingers that I do.
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-04-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

300 blackout pistol is pretty darn versatile. Varmints, hogs, deer, self defense.

I put a red dot with 3x magnifier on mine, but you can also get 5x magnifiers.

Only downside is good luck finding any ammo, much less hunting or self defense ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddypants View Post
                            I wouldn’t go with an AR pistol in light of all the crap the ATF is likely to pull. Get a 16” AR rifle or a 14.5” rifle with a pin and welded flash hider. 5.56 is fine. Not my favorite caliber for hogs but if I only could choose one AR caliber that would be it. Get a BCM (best value) or get a Knights (but be prepared to pay for it). For optics either get a 1-6 LPVO, a 4X trijicon with a 45 degree offset red dot, or just a red dot. I think the 1-6 LPVO would be my choice if I could only have one do all set up.
                            This here. My 3 gun rifle is pretty versatile. I have an A2 stock and a 18" barrel. A collapsible stock and either a 14.5" pin and welded barrel or a 16" with no flash hider would make it more maneuverable without sacrificing too much speed.

I'd PROBABLY go with a 223 if I could only have one chambering.

Comment

Thanks guys- all very helpful! Everyone keeps mentioning 300 Blackout- any idea when it becomes available/more affordable? At a buck a round, it's a huge issue, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                              X