No announcement yet.

Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a dads living the dream thread! Thanks for updating and taking us along.

Comment

Looking good!!

Comment

I went to the ranch by myself again this past weekend. It was just a play weekend for me but I did get a few minor things done:

I finished all the trim work inside the cabin!

I added a piece of hardy board behind the heater to help prevent a possible fire. So now the heater stands off the wall about 2 full inches with air gaps between the heater and hardy board, and another air gap between the wall and the hardy board.

I finished screwing in the deck boards I had already cut and installed.

I installed a game hoist on the game rack that we built and took out there in 2017.

I installed a new "cabin feeder" about 40 yards away to watch the deer on the deck. (Pics 1&2)

I delivered the 6v batteries for the solar system (hope to get the battery house built and installed my next time out)

Like I said this was a play weekend, so I got some much needed hunting time. Saturday morning I watched several does and a small buck, decided to pass on them. Saturday afternoon I had 3 grey foxes come to the feeder. I watched them fro a while and two of them lined up under the feeder side by side. I thought to myself "no way you can make a double on fox" I settled in and squeezed the trigger, sure enough 2 fox taken with one shot. The third fox didn't know what happened and cam back to the feeder on the opposite side of the feed pen. I attempted to take that one too but I believe I hit the hog panel on the back side of the feed pen. None the less it was pretty awesome. I gave the foxes to my neighbor who's wife just opened a taxidermy shop in Rocksprings. I need to decide on how I want them posed.(Pics 4&5)
        Attached Files

Comment

Lined up with that just shot look on their face.

Comment

Great looking build.

Comment

All caught up, surprised I missed this thread. All I can say is "Party Time Mom!!!"

Comment

I made a weekend trip with the wife and one of her friends. We were able to get quite a been done.

Friday I got some new LED string lights installed under the Porch, and hung a hanging LED light over the out door dining table. (pic1)

Saturday Morning we first worked on the Shed. The girls removed everything out and then we used spray foam to fill in all the R-Panel ridges to help keep the mice and critters out. (pic2&3)

After that we began working on the solar panels. I have 3 180Watt Solar Panels that needed to be mounted to the roof. The Girls and I were able to get them up pretty fast. (pic4)

Saturday afternoon we started working on the solar battery room. I didn't want to take any space up inside the cabin so Andy and I pre made the frame for a lean to style battery room on the back side of the cabin. The girls and were able to get the metal frame installed plum and level.

Sunday I worked on skinning the battery room with plywood and Tyveck; then installed the cedar siding on the sides. (pic 5)

Later this week I plan to finish the siding on the door, install the roof tin and stain the wood to match the house. Once that is done I will get all the batteries and electronics installed so we can bring in the refrigerator!

Last pictures are the sunset on Saturday evening.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Looks really great. Please post up details, and several pictures, once you start on the solar install.

Comment

Man that’s looking nice. Be hard to leave that when it’s time to head back home.

Comment

Ranch Cabin Build

Outstanding. It’s really come together. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

This is an incredible project. Really like the bath house!

Comment

Do you plan to insulate or condition the battery room? I'd be curious how the heat and cold affects the life of the batteries. Great build by the way, been following along for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
                              Do you plan to insulate or condition the battery room? I'd be curious how the heat and cold affects the life of the batteries. Great build by the way, been following along for quite some time.
                              Yes the plan is to insulate the battery house. The battery compartment inside the battery house will be completely sealed so no battery fumes can enter the electrical area of the house. This structure will house 3 components of the house.

1) water pump. The bottom area will be sealed off and house the water pump for the Cabin.

2) The middle section will be used to hold the Batteries. It will be sealed off and vented out the sides.

3) the top will house the electrical system, including the charge controller, Inverter and 12v distribution panel.

I will post detailed pictures of the process as I get them installed.

Comment

I went to the ranch this past Wednesday night through Saturday evening with my son and one of his buddies from college. They were going to hunt while I spent the days working on the cabin. There were a few things that need to be fixed around the cabin in addition to finishing the Solar electrical installation.

Thursday AM the boys went out to hunt, I worked on little things here in there. When they came back we had breakfast and then started working. The boys helped me get a leaking tote drained and replaced with a new tote. Then we spent a few hours getting water to fill the new tote up. While they were working on the water I began working on the compartments within the Battery house. As I worked on the inside I realized that it would be way too cramped to dived the Solar shed into 3 separate compartments (water pump, batteries, & electrical systems). I decided to eliminate the water pump area because I think it made sense to keep the moisture out of the compartment. So I created a sealed batteries compartment at the bottom. I had to seal this compartment completely to ensure no battery fumes could get the electronics. This is done for two reasons. 1) I am using lead acid batteries which are corrosive, 2) The Fumes contain Hydrogen, which could explode if exposed to a spark in the electrical system. The battery compartment will be sealed above to prevent this from happening, AND I will install vents to disperse the fumes outside. I created the divider out of 2x4's and caulked in between them and around the perimeter. Then I placed a layer of plastic down on top of the 2x4 to form a vapor barrier. Then I sandwiched the plastic with a piece of plywood. Using a TON of caulk.
                                The boys hunted Thursday evening while I cleaned up.

Friday AM was an adventure. The boys went down to the blind early. at 8:20 I get a call from my son telling me that 2 illegal aliens OPENED up the blind door on them! I thought they were joking with me to honest because I have never seen any of that activity where we are and I have never heard of them actually opening up a blind door with hunters in it. He said that they saw on man walking right down the road that goes from the blind to the feeder. Then all of a sudden they heard the door latch begin to turn. it happens so fast that all they could do is turn around with their rifles in hand. The dude that opened the door was as surprised as then were, after making eye contact he shut the door and began walking really fast to catch up to his buddy. After about 10 yard they guy turns around with his hand in plain sight and begins walking back to the front of the blind. He gets right up to the window and asks my son if he had any food for them. My son says no and the two of them walk off continuing there journey. My son took several pictures of them as they walked away (pics 1-3) I called it in the Border Patrol but don't know what came of it. Next time I go out I am installing a latch on the inside of the blind!

Friday was a very productive day on for the solar shed. I completed the siding on the front door, stained the cabinet to match the house, and installed the roof. Then I installed the electrical components and hooked up the batteries. (Pics 4-9) The boys worked on getting a new feeder setup and then hunted that afternoon while I installed the latch, lock and handle.

Saturday AM while the boys hunted I worked on the internal 110V outlets. I installed the wire and outlets to the kitchen and bedrooms. I ran out of armored cable so that will be the first thing I will need to do next time out when I bring the refrigerator. Having finished all I can do with the electrical I had time to start working on the from door trim out. I was able to get the front door done in about 2 hours. (Pics 10 & 11) I then relaxed a bit. That afternoon the boys shot a fox and I when ahead and got some meat for the freezer by taking a Doe.

My Son also did some drone footage. (Pics 12-13)
                                Video link: https://youtu.be/ASCk3AymBPQ
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X