Rattle Snake bit Jack Russell Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texsdr View Post
    Pulled up to my feeder pin on Saturday and walked to my protein feeder as my dog Jax sniffed her way to the corn feeder 10 yards away. I heard the one noise that makes your hair stand up on your neck. Rattle-Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and a definite strike all with in .5 seconds. I turned to see the snake lunge once more as she ducked the incoming attack. After getting her secured in the truck, Mrs. Kimber met her mark with a loud bang. There lie a 3.5 ft. green Mojave snake with 13 rattles. I quickly made my way to the truck and starting my assessment. Yep, she had been bitten on the top her head. Although the bite seemed superficial, the poison had started taking its course. (1 hour from the highway and 2.5 hours to midland) I started my way back home. Edema starting. Next will be vomiting and inability to control bowls, I suspected. I got home and immediately administered 1 tbspn of children's Benadryl. No other symptoms other than the progressed Edema in the throat region. I then decided to continue Benadryl and small doses of children's Tylenol (Small doses in fear of damaging liver).

Sunday morning: Although lethargic, she was drinking water and small tail wagging. After church and another dose of meds she ate a normal portion of food and had a bowl movement. That is the sign of life!

Monday 8:00 and off to the Vet. Lab results of blood checked out, injection, and a laser treatment for swelling she is resting at home and in good spirits.

Thank you Jesus!
    Congrats. Glad to hear the pup is fine.

Comment

good news!

Comment

Lucky dog. Not many can survive a Mojave bite. Maybe it was a dry bite or one with type B venom.
        Last edited by muzzlebrake; 05-16-2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Great news! Small dogs are some tough little buggers.
          We had a little ankle biter ( rat terrier I think ) that got bit somewhere on the neck/head a few years ago. His head swelled up so bad I thought his back wheels would come off the ground, but in a few days he was fine. Had a big lab get bitten by a cottonmouth, and he turned out about the same. They do look awful when that head swells though !

Comment

What a trooper!

Comment

Lucky dog! Glad everything looks like it will be alright.

Comment

Other than benydrl I've never treated snake bites with anything else.

On another note I know a fella who swears by electroshocking the bite area. He had two wiener dogs that would find copperheads and when they would get bit he'd take them over to the lawnmower. Then he would pull the plug wire and touch it to the bite and hit the starter. He swore by it. Dog still alive and still jumps into his lap

Comment

Great news. Those JRT's are pretty tough little dogs.

Comment

I am glad your dog is ok.I'd fall apart if something happened like that to my Jack Russell ,Sadie.

Comment

glad to hear she's allright.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Other than benydrl I've never treated snake bites with anything else.

On another note I know a fella who swears by electroshocking the bite area. He had two wiener dogs that would find copperheads and when they would get bit he'd take them over to the lawnmower. Then he would pull the plug wire and touch it to the bite and hit the starter. He swore by it. Dog still alive and still jumps into his lap
                        If you go to Africa and some outback location here in the US, certain park rangers will have you carry personal shock zappers. If you zap the bite area it breaks up the protein that makes up snake venom and then it makes it harmless. I have a couple that were working in Africa and she got bit by a black mamba. Those will kill you quick. He grabbed the moped they had with them and stuck the spark plug wire to the bite area and zapped it twice. She survived and was fine.

Comment

Great to hear.

Comment

Dang. Glad all is ok

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
                              If you go to Africa and some outback location here in the US, certain park rangers will have you carry personal shock zappers. If you zap the bite area it breaks up the protein that makes up snake venom and then it makes it harmless. I have a couple that were working in Africa and she got bit by a black mamba. Those will kill you quick. He grabbed the moped they had with them and stuck the spark plug wire to the bite area and zapped it twice. She survived and was fine.
                              Would a taser work?

Comment

I wondered if I would ever see someone post using electric shock? In the 80's when I owned Hunter's Paradise in Lubbock I had a pretty good size Rattlesnake display. The most I ever had in it was over 20+/-. My "snake handlers" were two Lubbock PD officer buddies of mine. They carried stun guns for bites and swear they worked!?

Jimmy got hit by a small one on a Sunday afternoon, our only closing day, while working on the collection. I was not there but our taxidermist was and said he immediately hit the bite with the stun gun. It may have been a dry bite, but he did NOT seek medical care.

I don't know.....just hope I never have to deal with this personally....Glad the pup is ok!

Comment

Working...
                                X