Nannie Stringfellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nannie Stringfellow

Has anyone hunted the Nannie Stringfellow draw? If so, how was it? Anything taken or seen? How was it Getting in, can you take a mountain bike, or is it walk in only?

Thanks

Following. Curious also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I take my daughter squirrel hunting down there and we've never seen any other game. We weren't trying to hunt Deer so that might have had a little to do with it. They let us drive in when it was dry but I'm not sure if they will let you do that on a deer hunt.

Comment

Hunted there a few years ago atv was allowed saw deer and way to many pigs and really wet everywhere it’s a cool place pigs does and a buck was killed when I was there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I live a few miles away. Not a whole bunch of deer but covered up in hogs.

Comment

Sounds like a good place for a bacon run.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
              Has anyone hunted the Nannie Stringfellow draw? If so, how was it? Anything taken or seen? How was it Getting in, can you take a mountain bike, or is it walk in only?

Thanks
              You can take a bike in, but if there is any moisture at all, and this has been a wet year, your tires will be packed with gumbo before you get 100 yards. An ATV is best but you can hike in and if the roads are in good shape, you might be able to drive to your spot. If it at all muddy though, trucks tear up the roads real bad and they won't let you in, even with 4X4's.

ATV's are best and they encourage folks to bring them. If you have one, you will have access to more areas than without. You have to stay on the roads though.

They have a pretty good deer and hog population, but it's real thick and your visibility off the roads is a very short distance. If you're used to hunting out west and seeing a ton of deer, this will be a change.

Comment

Thanks for the info Palehorse. Very informative

Comment

Good to know. I was always curious about this place.

Comment

Any ducks on the place?

Comment

Been there a couple of times. You will definitely need an ATV to reach most compartments, only a couple near the main FM road can be walked to or reached with a 4 wheel drive truck. On the hunts I've been on, most folks had ATVs. As stated above, if wet a bike would probably be more trouble than good especially if roads are tore up from ATVs.

As stated, game is there especially PIGS.... Success rates for deer are fairly low because it is THICK and difficult to hunt on a short trip. Also compartments are fairly small (I've had one as small as 100 acres for 2 hunters) compared to some of the other public hunt locations. Made even smaller if heavy rains and standing water are present. Most compartments are bordered by "roads" with very few roads/senderos crossing the compartments.

Dependent on weather, mosquitos can be fun too.....

Comment

atv hunt thick cover and play wind

Comment

if you plan to hunt Nannie you might want to invest in one of these deer stands.

Comment

Working...
                          X