No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this has already been said on this thread but I really didn't feel like going through 12 pages to make sure. If anyone is on Facebook I would suggest joining the Rocksprings Texas Hunting group. Good group of folks to connect with. There is some junk spam type posts but mostly just good folks sharing what is going on and are very helpful if you have any questions about the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
      I think this has already been said on this thread but I really didn't feel like going through 12 pages to make sure. If anyone is on Facebook I would suggest joining the Rocksprings Texas Hunting group. Good group of folks to connect with. There is some junk spam type posts but mostly just good folks sharing what is going on and are very helpful if you have any questions about the area.
      I agree.. I'm on there too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Heading out for a quick trip to try and kill a bird and check trail cams; coming back Saturday. My second cousin is coming in with his son from Louisiana to chase turkeys as well, hopefully the birds want to play.

Picked up .88" from last nights storm as well so should have only fresh sign to go off.

Comment

Glad to see the rain for sure. Saw we even got a little last night that puts us right at an inch over the past two days. Hopefully it isn't sloppy out there this weekend.

Comment

Land

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
            What part of Edwards are you guys in? I'm looking hard for a slice of Texas.
            We are off CR 460 at the end and there are several small parcels for sale. 40-60acres. 4000acre ranch with no internal fences, Land Owners Association.
            It is StageCoach Springs/ Broken Spoke Ranch.

I could fill my tags every year If I were greedy.

Comment

Had a good weekend at the lease. Weather was perfect. Deer seemed to not be hitting the cotton seed or protein as hard. I ended up shooting a decent sized hog that had some serious cutters.

Horns are just starting to break the skin on the whitetail. I am excited to see our game cam pics in the next few months.

Anyone seen any fawns yet?
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice pig. I got signed up on FB on the Rocksprings sites. I hope to head back out there in June.

Comment

Nice pig...good teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
                    Nice pig...good teeth!
                    Yeah, I was surprised when I walked up on him. I thought he was going to be bigger but when I saw the teeth I was excited all over again.

I plan on going back down the weekend of May 18th, hopefully I will see some fawns on the game cams.

Comment

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Nice pig! That’s a good one.

I went out Thursday-Saturday for A trip by myself and the weather was absolutely incredible. Checked trail cameras and was disappointed to see that the bulls on camera held there horns anywhere from March 10-March 24th. Last year they dropped the last 2 weeks of February; that’s several weeks they aren’t growing for next fall that they did last year.

The greenery is plentiful-just about everything is in bloom and the land looks very healthy right now.

I had 2 of my most fun turkey hunts Thursday and Friday evening. The 1st bird I shot was walking a rock ledge above the river, and I shot him at about 4 feet.

Definitely one of my closest encounters.

The second bird spent 5+ minutes spitting and drumming behind me at less than 10’ before I turned and shot him.

Forgot a game bag so a bandana did the trick.

8 1/8” and 8 7/8” on the beards, best spur was hardly 7/8”.

Add em to the stack (2 on the left).

I also found the left base to the Blind 10 buck from his 2017 rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Patton; 04-22-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Awesome Patton. Good stuff. Congrats on the turkeys

Comment

Any of yall had any luck with a no till food plot in this lovely rock country?

Comment

Great pics! How do you cook your turkey breast? I have always just given them an egg wash, flour them and then pan fry it.

I wish my place had more turkeys. Thanksgiving before last the land owner put a bunch of water troughs throughout our lease. I thought that this combined with us feeding year round was going to attract them to our place but we have only seen one hen consistently on our cams.

Weather was hard to beat this past weekend that is for sure.

Comment

Thanks Hunter!!
                              Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                              Great pics! How do you cook your turkey breast? I have always just given them an egg wash, flour them and then pan fry it.

I wish my place had more turkeys. Thanksgiving before last the land owner put a bunch of water troughs throughout our lease. I thought that this combined with us feeding year round was going to attract them to our place but we have only seen one hen consistently on our cams.

Weather was hard to beat this past weekend that is for sure.
                              We have a good bit of water which keeps them around, but I've also noticed that prescribed burns really attract turkey as well. May be something to consider.

Fried is pretty good, if I do that I try to pound them as flat as possible and make a schnitzel. My favorite way to cook turkey by far is as a Dutch oven pot-pie. I found a recipe for chicken pot pie from ‘Dutch oven dude’ (not a TBHr) and do my own spin on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Patton; 04-22-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

That was a good turkey hunt. I bet it was something to have them so close to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X