Summer Vacation in Texas (with kids)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Vacation in Texas (with kids)

Looking for a quick vacation getaway within 8-10 hours of Northeast Texas. We will have a 2 year old with us and ~10 adults and 3 additional kids ranging from 8 to 11. Wanting to spend 3 or 4 days wherever we end up and want plenty to do. Not limited to Texas but I understand that 8-10 hours may not get you out of the state! Let’s hear them.
    Last edited by Playthewind; 01-19-2022, 03:21 PM.

We used to do a VRBO beachfront house at Crystal Beach. 6Hrs and change for the drive, rentals were fairly cheap, and the kids could always walk to the beach and play or fish. I'm not a beach guy, but it was fun for several years.

I think we're gonna try Red River NM in the summertime in the next year or so.

New Braunfels/Gruene is a favorite for short trips as well.

Comment

We still make the drive to SPI every year. I would wait till at least September to go though. We go in October. Room rates are lower, less people, and the sand is cool enough to walk on barefoot. I know some of the brothers absolutely hate the beach but I still like being on island time. Even if it’s only for five days.

Comment

Port A and stay at aggieman12 place that place is nice.

Sleeps 16 with a large private pool.

Comment

Not sure exactly where you are at but I am in Fruitvale and I can get to gulf shores, AL in roughly 9 hours. The beaches from there into the Florida panhandle are much nicer than anything I ever saw here in Texas. Just a thought for you.

-john

Comment

I can’t think of anywhere I want to vacation in Texas in the middle of summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I can’t think of anywhere I want to vacation in Texas in the middle of summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This made me laugh and I do agree. I will say though we took a trip down to south padre in August of 2016 I believe and it was perfect weather. The water was cool and perfectly clear but the fishing wasn’t worth a darn.

Comment

Canyon Lake is fairly cool in the summer.

Comment

Leakey and the Frio are pretty ****ed refreshing in the heat, but the water level can be hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Leakey and the Frio are pretty ****ed refreshing in the heat, but the water level can be hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just going to say The Frio River. We prefer to stay up around Leakey and only head down to Concan when we tube down to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                      Not sure exactly where you are at but I am in Fruitvale and I can get to gulf shores, AL in roughly 9 hours. The beaches from there into the Florida panhandle are much nicer than anything I ever saw here in Texas. Just a thought for you.

-john
                      I agree with this.

Comment

Working...
                      X