Red vs. green lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red vs. green lights

Do hogs care either way? Always heard green is the way to go, but also see lots of red lights for sale. What’s the pros and cons of each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll say I can see the ground better w green. I can see more with green so I use green. Tried both. Hogs don’t care.
    Last edited by spread5150; 12-09-2021, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Both outside the spectrum of what a hog's eye can pick up, but green is closer to the end of the spectrum they can see, so red recommended. That said, it's important to note that they can still see the light, just not the color, so if you flash a light on them regardless of color, it will cast a shadow and can spook them. It's more important to gradually move the light on them.

Comment

Im in for the experienced ones input.

Green pro…human eye naturally recieves green light best of all colors. I wonder if same for pigs which would make it a con. All my future lighted nocks will be green.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
          Both outside the spectrum of what a hog's eye can pick up, but green is closer to the end of the spectrum they can see, so red recommended. That said, it's important to note that they can still see the light, just not the color, so if you flash a light on them regardless of color, it will cast a shadow and can spook them. It's more important to gradually move the light on them.
          Word. Good push Mr87.

Comment

It’s true about the shadows but I hit them with green all the time. Never had a issue. Last night had about 10 come in under the boar light ( green). Hit um with my sniper hog light (green) and I shoot a red lighted knock at them. Let’s me see pretty good where I hit. I have hit them with green light also with no prior light on and the sudden change can give them a bit of the jumpys. Moving slow with it is the key. I draw first then hit my sniper light and bring it down slow. I leave the boar light out there so they are used to it. They don’t associate it with the green light of death.

Red is so dim they all look black to me. I have a lot of painted pigs (yellows and reds). Green helps me get the one I want. I should add that all season only makes green pole lights.
            Last edited by spread5150; 12-10-2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Most lights on the market come with built in dimmers, the color doesn’t matter as much as the intensity, and the intensity of the light isn’t typically a problem for the animals if it is gradually turned up on them.

i.e. have the light turned as low as possible where you can still pick up the shape or movement of pigs. If you are stalking up on them leave the light low until you are in position and ready to shoot. When you are ready slowly increase the intensity of the light until you can make the shot. Once the first shot is fired, crank the light up and unleash HADES!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m opposite in this. We had a lot more deer and hogs spook from green than red.
                Feeder lights don’t count ‘cause they will get used to a street light given time.

Bright Green is better for me to see, but it will spook game occasionally.

Comment

Red is always better. Ive had many animals including pigs spook off of green.
                  There are also different intensity's that i believe matter. Some of these newer LEDs are simply to bright. Animal knows something is different.

Comment

I can see better with green, but in my experience pigs spook less with red.

Comment

My experience with unpressured hogs was that red would work and green put them in high gear going away instantly

So I ditched the green light and never looked back

Others may have different results though

Comment

Red. Always red

Comment

Green and as low light as possible. It's the shadows that skeer them.

Comment

I’ve had them spook at green lights. I quit using them years ago. Red is the best in my experience.

Comment

My experience is the green feeder lights dont bother them. However what I have noticed if that a pig is directly under the feeder light they dont seem to be bothered by my bow light that is red. Im guessing the fact that the feeder light is drowning out any other light.

If the pig is on the outskirts of the feeder light and you sky draw down on them with a red light they most likely (but not always) will get spooked since they will see their shadow, especially the older big boars. I still hunt with a red light under green feeders and have had lots of success.
                              Last edited by piercebronkite; 12-10-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X