Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
    Lets talk Thermal Monocular.

I've been kicking the idea around about getting one because scanning through my scope on my rifle gets tiring after a while.

The 2 budget friendly option I have been looking at are the PULSAR AXION KEY XM30 2.5-10X THERMAL MONOCULAR or the AGM TAIPAN TM19-384 1.9-15.2X THERMAL MONOCULAR.

Who has which and how do you like them?
    I've been using a TM19 for a while and like it. I'm hunting from a blind at the end of a 400 yard oat patch and use the monocular to scan every few minutes.

Comment

Just picked up a Sightmark Wraith 4K Mini and I'm hoping that will get me where I want to go.

Comment

SHOT Show 2022 Report

Hey fellas sorry I've been MIA but I was in Vegas for 6 days at the SHOT Show and just got back.

Since this is a new thread, for those that don't know, we're the NV and thermal sponsor for TBH dating back to about 2013. I own Outdoor Legacy and we're a full time thermal and NV dealer and for the last 4 years my salesman (HansETX on Youtube) and I have produced The Late Night Vision Show podcast on Youtube where we review the vast majority of new thermals and digital NV optics on the market, as well as talk about night hunting in general.

Our big thing is real world side by side use of all the optics in the field and offering the best personalized advice and customer service we believe you can find in this industry. If you're ever in the market for thermal or NV please give us a call and we'll be glad to help offer advice after hearing about your hunting conditions, terrain, needs, shooting distances, budget etc. (877)350-1818 https://outdoorlegacygear.com

Now back to business....I'll keep this as short as possible. We released a special edition podcast on Youtube for all of the 5 top thermal companies, in alphabetical order, AGM, Bering Optics, Infiray/iRay USA, Pulsar and N-Vision Optics. We also released a show live from the show floor in Vegas and I'll post a link to that below. In a nutshell here is the news from SHOT...

AGM

Announced the Adder series of thermal scopes in a 30mm tube, daytime scope design. Multiple models ranging from $2,500-$4,500. I expect it to be a few months before we see them.

The Varmint LRF models are already released and in stock but were still recent news.

Same with the Fuzion thermal monoculars. We will be reviewing both the Fuzions and Varmints soon, we've been using both in the field for a couple months.

Bering

They announced a Super Hogster with a LRF and a 2x version of the Super Yoter. They gave us no pricing and no ETA other than saying their normal release dates are in late summer.

iRay USA

Zoom ZH38 640 1.6x/3.2x thermal monocular $3,999. This is an interesting high end thermal monocular that is going to make some waves when people realize exactly what it is. Unlike any other thermal device the market has ever seen, the ZH38 uses glass lenses to let you zoom in and step up the magnification from 1.6x to 3.2x without using any digital zoom. This could be the start of something really big, as the industry has never see anything like this. I've tested one briefly a few months ago and will be getting another soon for more in depth field tests.

Rico Micro 640 1x, handheld, scope, clip-on unit - no pricing yet. I've had one of these for a few months and I've got to say the image quality is amazing. Some of the best non N-Vision image quality I've ever seen. This little unit is going to be for a very small specific crowd but it's going to serve them well and will be very popular. Also, for the clip-on portion, I'm being told rail mount only (no bolt guns) and 1-6x optics is what it's designed for.

N-Vision Optics

Nothing new, just working to increase production of their new high end optics. They are still the hands down leader in US thermal image quality.

Pulsar

There's a lot here....these units are expected to arrive between February and April, depending on the models.

All past model Axions are gone....discontinued.

Axion XM30F 320x240 3x $1,499 - Great little unit, supposedly the battery life has been upped on the Axions. This will be the Key model replacement and I can already tell the image quality is much better than the Keys had.

Axion XQ35 384 2x $1,999 - Really looks to be a good unit, so glad to see the lower base magnification, this will be a hit because of the price, image quality and lower base mag.

Axion XQ35 LRF 384 2x $2,499 - Seems extremely similar to the discontinued XQ38 LRF but better image quality, lower base mag and less expensive.

Thermion 2 XP50 LRF Pro 2x $5,999 - Same great scope but with the LRF built into the unit. Pulsar has been heading this way for a long time and now with the LRF in the Thermion, I'd expect to see the Trails to go away for good very soon.

Talion XQ38 2.5x $2,499 - New entry level optic with a fully focusable lens which will be new for Pulsar in this price range. Takes a removable APS5 battery and looks like it will be a hit. The $2,300 Thermion XM30 is going away now.

Proton FXQ30 384 $3,299 - More of an entry level/mid-range clip on unit. I want to get it out in the field but image quality looks ok, about what you expect from clip-ons. You'll get a better image from a dedicated scope in the same price range but some people just think they want a clip-on and this will fit the price range of most of those folks. I expect it will be much better on a 1-6x scope than a 3-9x

Krypton FXG50 640 $5,299 - This is the much anticipated clip-on unit that has been in Europe for a couple years and some US customers have been begging for it to come here and it's finally made it's way over. I have to admit the image quality was really good, better than I expected and I think for a clip-on, it will sell really well. If you're going to buy a clip-on, I believe this will be the unit to buy.

Sightmark

Wraith 4K Digital NV Monocular $699 - This is a small 1x helmet mountable monocular that can be used both handheld and on a helmet. It's a cool looking little unit and I really need some field time with it to understand what the real capabilities of this optic are.

Here is all that info and some more commentary from our live SHOT Show podcast.....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDYUQNC49-g"]Ep. 194 | LIVE From SHOT Show 2022!! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Lets talk Thermal Monocular.

I've been kicking the idea around about getting one because scanning through my scope on my rifle gets tiring after a while.

The 2 budget friendly option I have been looking at are the PULSAR AXION KEY XM30 2.5-10X THERMAL MONOCULAR or the AGM TAIPAN TM19-384 1.9-15.2X THERMAL MONOCULAR.

Who has which and how do you like them?
          All the current Axions are discontinued. The new models were mentioned above and aren't on the market yet. Until we get them in our hands we can't really say how they compare to other units on the market. I can say that the Taipan TM19 is a great little unit and by far one of the most popular monoculars on the market under $3,000.

Give us a call sometime if you'd like to discuss the options.

Outdoor Legacy
          877-350-1818

Jason

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with this?

InfiRay iRay Cabin CBL19 384 2x Thermal Monocular
            Yes sir I've been using it for a few months and it's a great monocular. Very good image quality, good battery life, removable battery and for the money it's hard to beat. I like the Cabins a lot and I think they will do well once more people get their hands on them. They also have a 5 year warranty which pushes some people over the edge.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
              Yes sir I've been using it for a few months and it's a great monocular. Very good image quality, good battery life, removable battery and for the money it's hard to beat. I like the Cabins a lot and I think they will do well once more people get their hands on them. They also have a 5 year warranty which pushes some people over the edge.

Jason

I was hoping you would chime in.

I feel like I will be leaning this way. The more I look around I keep coming back to this one.

Is there a bid difference between this one and the next Cabin model up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                I would not waste my money on a monocular, especially in that price point

Your ability to ID animals will be suspect at that price point. Buy another scope and scan with it and you can shoot with it
                Not at all. I have the AGM micro 384 and in east texas where i rarely have the chance to shoot beyond 100 yds its great. Easily tell the difference between deer/pigs/and the occasional stray dog or even a cow that strayed onto our property. Even used it to find a deer that ran off, and more than once during deer season i have located deer in the treeline that were pretty well camoflaged.

I also use it at work (police) and is handy for helping find people that dont want to be found.

After 2 years of use, I definitely would not consider it a 'waste of money' at a $1200 price point. I bought it mostly because i was tired of taking my thermal scope on and off my rifle to scan.

Comment

First night after finally getting a chance to use the agm rattler 35-384 and it turned out pretty good for an old east texas boy

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Which pulsar is the best per $ spent? I don’t care about video etc. I just want something that is functional with good battery life.

Also…how does the AGM Rattler compare?

Comment

Went out for a few hours tonight. First time I’ve been out in a long time actually hunting myself. We put 11-12 on the ground in about 3 hours, and had a few more that died off in the pasture. It felt good getting out again.

Comment

Originally posted by booger presley View Post
                        First night after finally getting a chance to use the agm rattler 35-384 and it turned out pretty good for an old east texas boy

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
                        Nice!
                        did you record any of them? how far of a shot and how clear was the image?

Comment

We stacked 12 this past weekend all over 110 pounds. Shoulda had 20 in the truck but cows and we didnt shoot good.

I am likely selling my Reap and upgrading to a Halo X35 or X55 soon as I got an exceptional price

Comment

I'm hunting from a blind at the end of a 400 yd long oat patch. Try to keep a pig or two on the field for coyote bait. Shooting a Bergara with a Thermion XM50. I picked the XM50 because of the 5.5X optical magnification which is about like using a 6X scope, great from a blind but would be too much magnification for running stuff or scanning. Using a Taipan TM25 monocular to keep track of what's on the field. Much easier than using the rifle to scan.
                            In the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to hunt a lot but have managed to kill 7 coyotes and 5 pigs in 13 shots at ranges of 75-280 yds. Shot over a coyote but drilled him second shot.
                            Very pleased with the XM50 thermal and the TM25 monocular.

Comment

Originally posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR View Post
                              Which pulsar is the best per $ spent? I don’t care about video etc. I just want something that is functional with good battery life.

Also…how does the AGM Rattler compare?

I'll be honest there is just so much more info needed that it's hard to answer this question. What price range, what animals you're hunting, terrain, how far/close you'll be shooting on average etc.

Same with the Rattlers. AGM has $2,000 Rattlers and $4,500 Rattlers. There's a whole lot to get into.

We'll be glad to help answer these questions and get you on the right path with a few suggestions of what might work best for your situation once we have a little more info. If you're really looking to figure it out, I'd suggest giving us a call one day and we will be glad to help!

(877)350-1818

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                                I'll be honest there is just so much more info needed that it's hard to answer this question. What price range, what animals you're hunting, terrain, how far/close you'll be shooting on average etc.

Same with the Rattlers. AGM has $2,000 Rattlers and $4,500 Rattlers. There's a whole lot to get into.

We'll be glad to help answer these questions and get you on the right path with a few suggestions of what might work best for your situation once we have a little more info. If you're really looking to figure it out, I'd suggest giving us a call one day and we will be glad to help!

(877)350-1818

Jason
                                Thanks for the information, Jason. I will save your number, and give you a call when I’m a little bit more serious aka income tax return. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X