Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever raised worms on a large scale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
    We started ours Friday, ordered 500 from uncle Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you go with red wigglers or Canadian?

Comment

My granddad had several old wash tubs full of those big snails. Worms would be fun as well

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
        I knew a guy named Lloyd that had a big worm farm, he actually did it in his living room.. Kinda weird.
        My friend Harry was in business with Lloyd! They called it I Got Worms! They did pretty good until their pets heads started falling off.

Comment

Talked to a gent a few weeks ago. He raised worms, but not for bait.
          He raised them for the worm dirt. He told me that he would get 5 to 10 times more tomatoes or squash from plants in his garden that were planted in worm dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
            We started ours Friday, ordered 500 from uncle Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I'm interested in this, but what do you do with them in freezing temps, and blazing hot summers?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Never had the need to raise them. The day before we go. We just water the grass real good, then go out in the dark with a flash light and gather enough night crawlers for a day to a week of fishing.

Comment

Read the title to this and had a Cousin Eddie flashback

Comment

I had a small worm bed in the backyard, fire ants killed them all though. Put my cigar nubs in and that killed all the fire ants

Comment

Pour a 5 gallon bucket of bleach water on the ground and watch what happens. It will kill them but they are real lively when they come shooting out of the ground.

Comment

I use to raise them on a small scale when I raised tropical fish. It was real easy. I quit when ants got too them. Lots of good resources online. You can have good luck with very little effort.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                        He raised them for the worm dirt. He told me that he would get 5 to 10 times more tomatoes or squash from plants in his garden that were planted in worm dirt.
                        i saw a thing were you basically made them your composter. pretty good looking dirt coming out the bottom

one part of my back flower bed had chicken manure and another part did not. i planted 8 identical rose bushes the 3 in the chicken manure looked like huisache trees, literally huge and stems everywhere. the 5 that didnt have manure base looked like plain average rose bushes

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                          They produce castings and you have to sift them out regularly, but from what I’m reading people pay pretty good for little bags of it to use on their plants

Comment

Originally posted by Filletem View Post
                            Pour a 5 gallon bucket of bleach water on the ground and watch what happens. It will kill them but they are real lively when they come shooting out of the ground.
                            dish soap and water works well also,trick from grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                              Did you go with red wigglers or Canadian?
                              Euro nightcrawler

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                                I'm interested in this, but what do you do with them in freezing temps, and blazing hot summers?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                                Funny you should ask. They ship from PA, when we got them on Friday, they were almost all frozen. I emailed the company and they are sending me another shipment.

Comment

Working...
                                X