John Deere backhoe is giving me trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Deere backhoe is giving me trouble

I have an 80s model JD 310A backhoe that has always ran great. I took it out a couple weeks ago and it would run about 15 minutes or so and then slowly die. Cleaned the gas tank, changed fuel pump and filter and still wont run. Will always crank right back up after it dies but then slowly chokes back out in less than a minute. It has gotten worse and really wont run 10 seconds after it starts now.

It this point all I can think of is bleeding the injectors again to make sure no air has gotten in them. From what I hear that is a very long and tedious process.

Any advice?

Thanks

If its cranking back up immediately its probably not air in the lines. Did you check the air vent on tank? Or take cap off and see if it effect anything. ive seen them air lock. But usually it will be same symptoms as running out of fuel. Have you changed helper pump on side of block? think these had helper pumps that supply the injector pump on passenger side.

Comment

You might have air getting in the fuel system. Check or replace all rubber fuel lines, inspect metal lines for wear. It was easier for me to replace them. Fuel tank screen (in tank) clogged up.... check for a random inline filter that someone added.
      Last edited by BrianL; 12-29-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Was there a screen in the tank where the hose hooks up? You may also check the rubber hoses leading up to the pump, they may be gummed up on the inside.

Comment

If i was getting air in the line somewhere wouldn't there be a fuel leak? I have checked all that you have recommended.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
            Was there a screen in the tank where the hose hooks up? You may also check the rubber hoses leading up to the pump, they may be gummed up on the inside.
            We don't not find a screen. We were surprised we didn't. Fuel runs out very well from the tank to the first pump so there doesn't seem to be any restriction there.

Comment

I had a similar problem on a New Holland tractor. Took the fuel line loose where it comes out of the tank. Then blew air back into the tank through the fuel line. Yours may have a filter sock in the tank that is getting clogged.

Comment

My guess is the injector pump. Did you by any chance run it out or really low on fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                  If i was getting air in the line somewhere wouldn't there be a fuel leak? I have checked all that you have recommended.

no. Not always if it is a small crack,and between the tank and the pump. I had a Massy where the throttle linkage ran on top of a metal fuel line and rubbed a very small hole that never leaked... Really sounds more like a clogged filter or screen that reduces fuel flow, or bad fuel pump, but rubber fuel lines are cheap to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    My guess is the injector pump. Did you by any chance run it out or really low on fuel.
                    No, but it is continuously getting starved for fuel until it dies. Are you saying that will destroy the pump?

Comment

No, but it is continuously getting starved for fuel until it dies. Are you saying that will destroy the pump?

No. But running out or real low on fuel will suck up crap and water from the bottom of the fuel tank. Factory filters won't stop all that stuff. Been there with a 4020

Comment

no it wont. I think hes getting at the fact that its easy to suck trash etc into those if you run them empty. Had backhoe setup a long time? Its possible you have rust and tarnished fuel in the injector pump. It may be time for a rebuild.

But im like others if you have some old rubber lines i would check them and replace just to make sure.

Comment

I will check again but i believe all the fuel lines are metal. You guys are probably right. The injector pump is probably the only thing left it could be. I do know there is rust in the tank and it has set up for several months before i ran it this time.

Comment

From tank to pump are the cheap parts, from pump to engine are the high dollar parts and those are way too expensive to guess at, might be time for a diesel mechanic if you are on that side.

Comment

How well did you clean the tank? I had this exact same problem on my tractor and it ended up being mold growth in the fuel tank. It resembles snot and sloshed around and gets sucked up to the drain. When the tractor sits it will move away from the drain. I had a screw on slim filter inside the tank screwed to the petcock.

Comment

Working...
                              X