Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Opinions on what tree to plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on what tree to plant

I need some help with picking out a tree to plant in my backyard. I want something that grows fast and puts out some nice shade. I live in spring branch, right north of San Antonio. Thanks

Live oak. The end

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Cedar Elm or Chinese Pistache

Or maybe a chinquapin oak

Red oak and Live oak grow too slow

Comment

I like to grow Live oaks. Water and fertilize
        I have been amazed how nice they quickly they grow after they take root.

Comment

One of my buddies also recommended the cedar elm

Comment

This is a simple question. Something that feed the block -even better if it feeds you.
            There is everything from a 5 year persimmon to a 8 year pecan.
            A pine tree is the 2nd to the worst tree to plant, any cedar or juniper is the worst to plant. A live oak at least feeds a few critters........

Comment

Monterrey Oak! Planted two here in Blanco about a year and a half ago and they are doing great. Fast growing stay green most of the year...never completely lose all leaves. Did a lot of research and chose the Monterrey Oak. Look into them.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
                Monterrey Oak! Planted two here in Blanco about a year and a half ago and they are doing great. Fast growing stay green most of the year...never completely lose all leaves. Did a lot of research and chose the Monterrey Oak. Look into them.
                I will check them out, thanks for all the replies

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
                  I’ve planted several Monterrey Oaks over the years, and they are great trees.

Comment

Monterey live oak, will not get oak wilt.
                    Or a Mexican sycamore.
                    Go visit Fanick's or Shades of Greenfor what your looking for.
                    I listen alot to South Texas Gardening on 550 AM on Sat/Sun. People are always asking this question, and these are Bob Webster's two too answers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Shade Tree Superstar For Texas

I have four Chinese Pistache trees on my place. Great shade trees and fall colors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese Pistache.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	24592078

Comment

Monterrey Oak (Quercus polymorpha) or Lacebark Elm.

Comment

Tallow Tree aka China Ball Tree, fast grower, you will have lots of shade, because you will have a bunch of trees.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Tallow Tree aka China Ball Tree, fast grower, you will have lots of shade, because you will have a bunch of trees.
                            Don’t do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                              I have four Chinese Pistache trees on my place. Great shade trees and fall colors.

[ATTACH]971934[/ATTACH]
                              Do these have the shallow roots that stay at/just below the surface and kill the grass?

Comment

Working...
                              X