Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So....why do you need a 4 wheel drive. All wheel drive. 4x2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
    I drive a 3x4. But sounds like ford is coming out with a front e-locker f250’s. About to be up grade time
    This should at least be an option on every 4x4 that's built, IMO.

Comment

never really 'needed' a 4WD, could always walk-in or manage with a 2WD. Have stuck both 4WDs and 2WDs but always in places where I shouldn't have been in the first place. Did lots of mudding in CJ Jeeps, a lot of fun and they're easy to pull out, and would love to have another one but no, I really don't 'need' 4WD.
      I do understand those that do though for work or ranch purposes.

Comment

I can actually get to the good hunting spots

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
          Cause they don't make a 6X6!!!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
          ^^^^You won the internet today^^^^

Comment

Cause they don't make a 6X6!!!

Well actually........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It may have already been said but a 2wd Diesel is about as worthless as it gets. They will get stuck on wet grass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Well actually........

You got me.

They don't make an affordable 6X6. [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  And then that one time every 10 years when you need it you take 30 minutes to get pulled out. And still have an extra 5k in your pocket
                  until you have to wait several hours for a tow truck to be told that you are too far from concrete and you have to call a bunch of guys with jeeps and winches and trash the pasture. I spent the next couple of weeks fixing ruts.

Comment

You got me.

They don't make an affordable 6X6. [emoji16]

That I can agree with. [emoji15]

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a 2 wd 3/4 or 1 ton this time around. I'm not driving in bad conditions enough to justify 4x4 AND the new heavy duty 4x4s look like they come from the factory with a 6 inch lift. Seems like you can have more control of heavy trailer loads with a vehicle that's closer to the ground. I could be wrong about that though. It scares the heck out of me when a jacked up 4x4 3/4 ton comes flying down the interstate with a heavy loaded trailer making the truck grill poke up into the sky like a plane trying to get off a runway. I like the idea of getting a heavy duty 4x4 with adjustable suspension to sit it down when on the highway or towing and raise it up like an angry spider when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                        I'm thinking of getting a 2 wd 3/4 or 1 ton this time around. I'm not driving in bad conditions enough to justify 4x4 AND the new heavy duty 4x4s look like they come from the factory with a 6 inch lift. Seems like you can have more control of heavy trailer loads with a vehicle that's closer to the ground. I could be wrong about that though. It scares the heck out of me when a jacked up 4x4 3/4 ton comes flying down the interstate with a heavy loaded trailer making the truck grill poke up into the sky like a plane trying to get off a runway. I like the idea of getting a heavy duty 4x4 with adjustable suspension to sit it down when on the highway or towing and raise it up like an angry spider when needed.
                        I had 16k behind my SRW 350 this weekend, and it was barely squatting less than 2.5”.

Comment

I like being able to drive far enough down the beach to take my shirt off and not offend people. I also like to drive to some off-road kayak-fishing launch locations.

Comment

I tend to agree with the crowd, you don't need 4wd until you need it. The last 2 trucks I owned were 4wd. In reality, I probably used it on average a dozen times each year; very specifically depending on the conditions at our deer lease. The front entrance is terrible and if wet conditions are persistent, 4wd is a must. I'd also say that 4wd is nice to have on a steep, wet, boat ramp.

With that said, it would be nice if more manufacturers had the option for a rear locking differential. Honestly, most folks could get by with this. I used to know some old farmers that had trucks with this back in the day and would swear by it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              I had 16k behind my SRW 350 this weekend, and it was barely squatting less than 2.5”.
                              Do you think you have less stability/control because of the extra ground clearance though?

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                                Do you think you have less stability/control because of the extra ground clearance though?
                                Not at all. I’ve had a bit over 20k behind this truck a couple of times now, and regularly haul 10-12k. I’ll be moving this 16k load quite a bit from now on. I put about 550 miles on with it this weekend. No issues whatsoever. I don’t set my cruise with a heavy load, but I’ll use my foot when hauling. Mainly ran around 72-75. Stopping wasn’t an issue, nor was stability. You’d be surprised at how we’ll trucks of today handle loads better than trucks of yesterday.

Also as mentioned a truck this heavy gets STUCK easy! I regularly need to lock my rear end in soft surfaces, and occasionally need to put it in 4wd for stuff my 2WD Sierra 1500 will do with ease.
                                Last edited by TX03RUBI; 09-04-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X