No announcement yet.

Thank you Kavanaugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like Kavanaugh is just doing what we (I thought we) all hoped he would do...rule according to the constitution. By allowing some religious leaders in and others not, Texas violated the 1st amendment. Kavanaugh was correct, Texas was wrong. There is a simple fix to this, let a Buddhist priest in and be done with it.

In his opinion, Kavanaugh pointed TDCJ toward two possible solutions: Allow all inmates to have a religious adviser of their faith in the execution chamber or allow none of them to have one. He said it would be appropriate for the state to only allow chaplains in the viewing rooms — where families of the victims and inmate often watch the execution behind glass — due to security and operational complications that sometimes arise in executions. In Texas, chaplains in the execution chamber will often pray and rest their hand on an inmate's lower leg during the execution.

"The choice of remedy going forward is up to the State," he wrote. "What the State may not do, in my view, is allow Christian or Muslim inmates but not Buddhist inmates to have a religious adviser of their religion in the execution room."

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
      Sounds like Kavanaugh is just doing what we (I thought we) all hoped he would do...rule according to the constitution. By allowing some religious leaders in and others not, Texas violated the 1st amendment. Kavanaugh was correct, Texas was wrong. There is a simple fix to this, let a Buddhist priest in and be done with it.
      Agree with this!

Comment

I hate how that troublesome Constitution keeps getting in the way of things!!!

Comment

Well said, sometimes freedom isn't pretty, or what we want to see.

Comment

TDCJ was not wrong. They followed policy.

If a buddhist chaplain was employed, they would have been there.

Murphy was just playing the system for another day.

Having clergy present is not a constitutional right.

I see a policy change in the future.

Only let the chaplain at the Wall Unit in...regardless of his ecclesiastical endorsement.
            Last edited by Death from Above; 03-29-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Did officer Hawkins have a religious member present when they gunned him down and ran over his body?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                TDCJ was not wrong. They followed policy.

If a buddhist chaplain was employed, they would have been there.

Murphy was just playing the system for another day.

Having clergy present is not a constitutional right.

I see a policy change in the future.

Only let the chaplain at the Wall Unit in...regardless of his ecclesiastical endorsement.
                Having clergy present became a constitutional right when some clergy are permitted and others are not. I have a hard time believing that this dude is the only Buddhist int TDCJ. While TDCJ might not have a Buddhist priest on staff, certainly they have been in the prison system before to conduct services?

To be honest, I am shocked any clergy is allowed in the death chamber at all. I would've thought it was only for necessary personnel.

Comment

Thank you Kavanaugh

I actually don’t have a problem Kavanaugh’s position. The Constitution should apply equally.

If other religions are allowed, his should be too.

Now let the priest, monk, whatever wheel him in there himself and let’s get on to taking care of business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I hope Kavanaugh keeps voting in accordance with the Constitution. I have no problem with his ruling. I'm very upset that it was fought all the way to the Supreme Court instead of just paying a priest a few bucks and letting him be present. How many tax dollars were wasted fighting this?

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
                      sounds like kavanaugh is just doing what we (i thought we) all hoped he would do...rule according to the constitution. By allowing some religious leaders in and others not, texas violated the 1st amendment. Kavanaugh was correct, texas was wrong. There is a simple fix to this, let a buddhist priest in and be done with it.
                      Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                      agree with this!
                      yup!

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                        That's what your missing. He was denied it already because his attorneys were late with it. As stated the Texas Supreme Court shot it down. Attorneys then moved it to the highest court who did the stay.

This isn't about not allowing him it's about the way his attorneys went about it. They threw a curve at the last minute and knew due to security reasons only Christian and Muslims were allowed in the death chamber.

TDCJ has very strict policies on who can be in the chamber. All they needed to do well in advance was to ask if Buddhist Joe could be in and get the clearance. But they didn't and fed off the TSC and got shot down so than moved to the US Supreme Court.
                        to me, the whole thing breaks down when these terms influence the legal decision making. sounds to me like Kavanaugh got it correct. couldnt a policy easily be drafted which keeps the specific religions out of the process?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          I hope Kavanaugh keeps voting in accordance with the Constitution. I have no problem with his ruling. I'm very upset that it was fought all the way to the Supreme Court instead of just paying a priest a few bucks and letting him be present. How many tax dollars were wasted fighting this?
                          Correct

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Exactly. Kavanaugh is only being even handed. Where the real travesty is IMO, is that the feds have any input or power whatsoever in how or when Texas chooses to punish a criminal for a crime committed in Texas.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Having clergy present became a constitutional right when some clergy are permitted and others are not. I have a hard time believing that this dude is the only Buddhist int TDCJ. While TDCJ might not have a Buddhist priest on staff, certainly they have been in the prison system before to conduct services?

To be honest, I am shocked any clergy is allowed in the death chamber at all. I would've thought it was only for necessary personnel.
                              TDCJ only has muslim and christian/catholic clergy. Any unit that has buddhist volunteers are just that. Approved volunteers. Policy is very clear on the extent these volunteers are allowed to interact with offenders nothing in policy would allow a Buddhist volunteer to participate in an execution.

Its not that certain clergy has or has not been allowed. Thats not how TDCJ has handled it. If there was a buddist chaplain ....they would have been there.

There is not one. Thats not unconstitutional
                              Last edited by Death from Above; 03-29-2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                                I would have had a Buddhist priest there in 10 minutes to watch him die if that's what he wanted .
                                Ding!

Comment

Working...
                                X