Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall
Default Deer lures - honest opinions

I've never used anything other than food baits for deer so I'd like to know what are some "real" lures that have worked for y'all in the past. It seems like most of the stuff for sale is lure for the hunter above all else. I've seen so many "buck bombs" and similar that it's hard to separate science from marketing. Will anyone share some legit recommendations? I do appreciate it.
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
FireNguns
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson, Montgue, Wise

Copious amounts of corn is the only thing I know works for sure
FireNguns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

All a gimmick IMHO. Lots of other “lures” are as well.

Kinda like fishing lures, more are made to catch the fisherman than the fish.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

Be interested in the answers

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

Used Special Golden Estrous all wknd and sat basically 2 full days. Not a single deer blew and actually saw the most deer I have ever seen in a sit. This is in East Tx and that should say a lot. Big target buck came in to the scent wick. Never got a shot but I say it worked!

Killed a mature 8pt 4 yrs ago with a buck bomb. Sprayed my boots walking in and he came in with his head down on the walk in trail.

I think the scents work if used at the right time. Just don’t use Tinks or anything with his name on it.

Buck Bomb buck
Attached Images

Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #6
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

If you or anyone on your lease shoots a deer, cut off the tarsals...the tufts of hair on the back legs. Put them in a ziploc sandwich bag and freeze them for future use.

Hang them head high in a tree near your stand. Best "lure" I have found.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
happy bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mason county

Golden estrous as well,great cover scent and attracts bucks during the rut
happy bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
If you or anyone on your lease shoots a deer, cut off the tarsals...the tufts of hair on the back legs. Put them in a ziploc sandwich bag and freeze them for future use.

This as well. Iíll use tarsals and even go as far as emptying the bladder and using the urine.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #9
RedBear78
Four Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

I’ve seen the buck bombs work on occasion.Put one out and walked up to my stand and dang if I didn’t have a big ten all over it we I turned around he must have been laid up close. I made my first mock scrape a week ago wit synthetic urine and I have activity on it already.But mainly corn soybean salt lick rye grass and alfalfa hay when it’s cold and bare.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #10
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

the most successful tactic is to do nothing but not be seen, heard or smelled. leave the gimmicks for the new hunters.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #11
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
the most successful tactic is to do nothing but not be seen, heard or smelled. leave the gimmicks for the new hunters.
I am a master at that and even did it for twenty years against dogs and humans...But

There are a couple of tricks
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #12
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^
This. Corn works really well too.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #13
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Over the last 35 years I have tried most of them. I would say 99% had no positive effect. My favorite was the buck bomb. The guy who came up with that was genius.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #14
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

I’ve had some success with buck bombs sprayed directly on trees before a rattling session. All honesty the best scent I’ve found that works is human **** in particular female. Anytime I’m out and have to pee I go pee by my stand. If a female is around and she needs to pee she goes pop a squat at whatever stand I want to hunt.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #15
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

I have had success making my own mock scrapes. I'll paw out some ground with the heel of my boot, making sure to pick a spot that has overhanging branches low enough so the bucks can lift up their heads and mess with them, then I pee in them.

Human urine loses its distinctive 'human' scent identifier in around a minute. Then its just urine and the bucks think a rival buck is doing it. Works great.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:34 PM   #16
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

The first buck I killed followed the trail of buck stop glandulure I put out on the way to my stand. Probably a coincidence, because that's the only time it worked.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #17
Button
Four Point

Hunt In: Mostly the ocean

I found a couple of unopened bottles of die pee I bought years ago. I’ll try it out this week.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:53 PM   #18
M.LUNA
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma

I **** from my stand most times as I usually sit all day. And I swear every time I do within the hour (sometimes in minutes) coincidence or not... i have deer show up and have had many of them come directly to where I ******. So I do know one thing for a fact.... deer are not afraid of human ****.
M.LUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:55 PM   #19
M.LUNA
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma

Just to clarify before someone thinks the censored words in my above comment is poop. LOL... I was saying human urine.
M.LUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 11:39 PM   #20
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I have used it all mainly becouse i get samples being in the business.. 99% is to catch the hunter. The only thing i keep in my backpack the past 15 years and use other than corn...is Trails End #307. And i use it very lightly. Im still on my 3rd bottle in 15 years. It works in my opinion if used very sparingly.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #21
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

Most are total gimmicks. I am a believer in using doe estrous if used at the right time. I have seen it be extremely effective many many times. I've shot many bucks that came directly in to the scent wick away from a feeder area. I've had it happen enough to know it works when conditions and timing are right.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #22
Dusty Roads
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano/ Victoria

I have used Tink`s 69 for year's and had good luck with it.
Dusty Roads is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #23
PineClimbr
Spike

Hunt In: Shelby County

I've had luck with mock scrapes and the slow release "wildlife research center" active scrape lure. If not for anything else, it is great for getting pics of your local and traveling bucks.
PineClimbr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #24
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I have tried the doe in heat stuff, a few times. Never worked at all, but I did not see any deer, pretty sure it was the area I was hunting, combined with the time of year, I was using the stuff. I would bet at times, that stuff works, but the few times I tried it, it did not help at all. When there are no deer to attract, it does not matter what you do, they are not going to come running.

I have tried rattling horns a couple times, don't know if I was doing worth a crap with the horns, or if I was using them at the wrong time. Again, I saw zero deer, when I used them. The places I used the rattling horns, there were plenty of deer in the area, and normally I would see deer. But every time I tried the rattling horns, I would not see so much as a single doe. I would bet, I was not doing a good job of sounding like two big bucks fighting, probably more like two, two year olds scrapping. So I gave that up quickly. Then the rattling horns, we used to have many years ago, disappeared many years ago, don't know where they went.

The only time I ever used any scents and brought something in, was when I tried to use the skunk scent, as cover up scent. Every time, without fail, it brought the buzzards in. I would have buzzards swooping right over my head for an hour, looking for that dead skunk.

At the right place and right time, used in the right way, I am sure some of those scents work very well. It's just not my hunting style, so I don't spend the time, to use them anymore.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-27-2020 at 09:52 AM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #25
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
I have tried the doe in heat stuff, a few times. Never worked at all, but I did not see any deer, pretty sure it was the area I was hunting, combined with the time of year, I was using the stuff. I would bet at times, that stuff works, but the few times I tried it, it did not help at all. When there are no deer to attract, it does not matter what you do, they are not going to come running.

I have tried rattling horns a couple times, don't know if I was doing worth a crap with the horns, or if I was using them at the wrong time. Again, I saw zero deer, when I used them. The places I used the rattling horns, there were plenty of deer in the area, and normally I would see deer. But every time I tried the rattling horns, I would not see so much as a single doe. I would bet, I was not doing a good job of sounding like two big bucks fighting, probably more like two, two year olds scrapping. So I gave that up quickly. Then the rattling horns, we used to have many years ago, disappeared many years ago, don't know where they went.

The only time I ever used any scents and brought something in, was when I tried to use the skunk scent, as cover up scent. Every time, without fail, it brought the buzzards in. I would have buzzards swooping right over my head for an hour, looking for that dead skunk.

At the right place and right time, used in the right way, I am sure some of those scents work very well. It's just not my hunting style, so I don't spend the time, to use them anymore.
I love rattling when its that time of yr. One thing I have learned is that rattling around feeders are pretty much a waste of time. Also I have had my best luck rattling from say 9am -3pm. With lunch time being probably the best. Cold, overcast and drizzly days are golden. Rattle and give it a few minutes then move. We have a couple of ridge lines on our ranch I like to work. Riley won't hardly go sit in a deer blind after she rattled in a few big bucks.

Last edited by BrandonA; 10-27-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #26
shark79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Mistletoe
shark79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #27
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Iíve had some success with buck bombs sprayed directly on trees before a rattling session. All honesty the best scent Iíve found that works is human **** in particular female. Anytime Iím out and have to pee I go pee by my stand. If a female is around and she needs to pee she goes pop a squat at whatever stand I want to hunt.
I second that especially for hogs
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #28
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
Used Special Golden Estrous all wknd and sat basically 2 full days. Not a single deer blew and actually saw the most deer I have ever seen in a sit. This is in East Tx and that should say a lot. Big target buck came in to the scent wick. Never got a shot but I say it worked!

Killed a mature 8pt 4 yrs ago with a buck bomb. Sprayed my boots walking in and he came in with his head down on the walk in trail.

I think the scents work if used at the right time. Just donít use Tinks or anything with his name on it.

Buck Bomb buck
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy bowhunter View Post
Golden estrous as well,great cover scent and attracts bucks during the rut
Quote:
Iíve had some success with buck bombs sprayed directly on trees before a rattling session. All honesty the best scent Iíve found that works is human **** in particular female. Anytime Iím out and have to pee I go pee by my stand. If a female is around and she needs to pee she goes pop a squat at whatever stand I want to hunt.
Can you guys post a pic of this product? Exactly how do you use it? Thanks.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #29
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark79 View Post
Mistletoe
Forgot about that. Saw a thread on mistletoe on tbh way back. I have lots at a rental property I'm going to go cut and try for grins.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #30
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
Special Golden Estrous comes with a wick. I also buy a scent drag. Soak it and then walk to the stand crossing trails along the way. You can see the buck on the trail. When I reach the stand I soak the wick and hang it in a tree nearby. You can see the white wick just to the left of the buck in the tree.

Buck bomb comes in a black can. I spray my boots every 50-75 yds and walk to the stand. Once at the stand I finish the can off like a bug bomb. Lock trigger and mist the air.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #31
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

BY FAR the best BUCK attractant, bar none, is Rattling.. Rattling at the correct time during the season is key.. There is a 2 week period each year that this technique will attract the maximum amount of bucks far above any other "attractant" method but this time frame varies by region... It has worked for me with great success in every area of this state, from the coast to the panhandle and many places in between....
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #32
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...dnstrs33mrxhbg
Old 10-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #33
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I have had rattling antlers and estrous work many times but only when the prerut is in full swing. Living 280 miles away and working, it's hard for me to catch the peak of the pre-rut but the one time I really hit it, I could have dunked a sock in estrous, tied it to some twine and pulled it all around the ranch, sat in a chair and watched as every buck on our place followed the scent right to me. It was really cool. They came to rattling, they came to decoys they came to estrous and from downwind without a care for my stink.

That said, I always use buck and doe urine as a cover scent and add estrous as the we move closer to the rut. I will tickle the rattle bag throughout the season rattling aggressively as the peak of the rut hits. These only seem to help.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #34
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #35
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
Special Golden Estrous comes with a wick. I also buy a scent drag. Soak it and then walk to the stand crossing trails along the way. You can see the buck on the trail. When I reach the stand I soak the wick and hang it in a tree nearby. You can see the white wick just to the left of the buck in the tree.

Buck bomb comes in a black can. I spray my boots every 50-75 yds and walk to the stand. Once at the stand I finish the can off like a bug bomb. Lock trigger and mist the air.
Worth a try.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:14 PM   #36
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Iím fortunate the deer in Cypress Mill arenít very smart because all I use as a cover scent is vanilla and it works like magic
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #37
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Pea gravel and my sisters old tampon is all I have had success with....
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #38
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

I use a drag when going in and out. Many times I have had deer follow my trail. I will drag out to several areas and back into my shooting lanes and often times they will follow them in with their nose on the ground.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #39
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Nope!
Never had any luck with them, quit trying years ago
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #40
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Quote:

i have used this technique several times with great success
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #41
Button
Four Point

Hunt In: Mostly the ocean

I’m going to try some in hopes of coaxing out a couple nice bucks that seem to be nocturnal.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #42
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Sucker born every day...I was one for a few years.. corn /roasted soy beans/ alfalfa hay/food plots...are my go too ...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #43
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

I have had bucks follow a drag straight to my stand and smell the drag hanging in the tree. It works during the right time of year and when done properly. Most people over scent. Just like rattling horns. Work great when they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #44
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

I've never had a buck spook from corn. Don't get me started about "hand corn". Used a Buck Bomb once. The first buck that came in walked over, sniffed it and "exploded". I guess that's why they call it a bomb. He literally jumped out of his skin and exited once he hit the ground. (Oklahoma buck so that may explain it). Scent control is the way I've killed all my deer. Ozonics, sprays, scent free laundry, etc. I do all this, but 99% of my kills have been on a good wind.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #45
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

Protein if you donít feed it

Put it in a couple of piles around and it will draw then
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 PM   #46
Farmdog
Pope & Young

Sitting real still works, Im practicing right now
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #47
Gary Roberson
Ten Point

I have been experimenting with a lot of the products from a new company called Texas Raised Hunting Products. So far, I am just using them around my house where deer lay up before dropping off the hill into town. Deer are really tearing up the ground where I have been using them and I see does and small bucks (about all I have) following their noses to the areas I have used them. I have not tried them on the ranch on the Pecos where I will be hunting.
I have used the Predator Death Grip when calling with exceptional results. For the first time in my life, I am calling with the wind blowing into the area I am calling and still killing coyotes.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #48
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

I haven't experimented much with these type products, but the mock scrape idea is intriguing.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2020, 12:01 PM   #49
dirtybay
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Last year was my first experience with trying a scent. I bought some buck bomb doe in heat and decided to use it as a cover scent. I hunt an active pipeline in E TX. I decided to spray it around my stand to help keep my scent from drifting down one side of the pipeline. I ended up seeing several bucks extremely close to my stand that weekend. It never dawned on me at that time that it may have been the scent I sprayed. One buck walked within 10ft of my stand. A big 2 man box blind. So needless to say, I'm going to try and use it this year down my pipeline to see what happens. Good luck all
dirtybay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #50
Justin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
I haven't experimented much with these type products, but the mock scrape idea is intriguing.
I have a small 4 acre patch behind my house I hunt. I live on the edge of town and there are always does around. I started messing around with a mock scrape 4 years ago now and it works every year. I've killed one buck off the scrape, but since it's illegal to bait here, it lets me see what bucks are in the area every year. Every year I am surprised at the bucks that come into that little patch of brush to check that scrape.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top