Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County
Default Allergies are what?

I live north of houston in Magnolia and seems like this time every year I get a terrible cough. Anyone else suffer from this? Has really screwed with my bow season last few years. Anyone else suffer from this crud? Anything work for you. Did allergy testing and they said I was not allergic to anything.....well I disagree.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
mossman500
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery co

I have the same issue....I’ve just been carrying cough drops to the stand. Nothing works as for as Allergy medicine
mossman500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
rocky
Pope & Young

Or?
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Or?
Yes sorry should have said or
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
hwy84
Ten Point

Lol
hwy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

Iím
In magnolia too but I get the sniffles. Seems like Claritin and sometimes Zertec works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mmlreiner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Yes, there is something blowing in. For the last two days, I have been sneezing a lot and have sinus headaches and itchy eyes. I just started taking Flonase yesterday, that stuff works pretty good.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:36 PM   #8
IvoryRoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I go to my dr and get a steroid shot about now. I just use Zicam up the nose in the mornings and has been the best thing Iíve tried. Claritin and Zertec did nothing for my seasonal allergies. I have noticed though, whatever doesnít agree with me this time of year is when the wind is out of the north.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #9
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

I've been on Benedryl for the past 2 days. Seems to be better today.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Think itís Ragweed. Iím taking Claritin in the mornings and Singulair at night. Went and got a COVID test last week thinking I had it but was negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 PM   #11
Tommy1123
Six Point

Hunt In: East Tx

Yep the dang ragweed gets me late September and most of October every year. Iíve tried all of the allergy medications and they help a little, but the sneezing and mild cough doesnít stop until cooler weather rolls in. I know the pain brother.
Tommy1123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #12
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

My husband gets seasonal allergies every year around opening of Dove Season. Coughing, sneezing, and watery eyes, but the congestion and headaches were even worse. Although he tested negative for allergies, his ENT posited he was reacting to ragweed due to the time of year his symptoms typically began. He put my husband on a nasal steroid (like Flonase) coupled with the antihistamine that works best for him (in his case, Zyrtec).

However, the most important part of this therapy, his doctor told him, is to start the nasal steroid at least THREE WEEKS prior Opening Day (or, the start of ragweed season). It’s important, he said, to get in front of your histamine reaction and almost impossible to thwart it if you wait until you’re symptomatic before you act.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #13
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
My husband gets seasonal allergies every year around opening of Dove Season. Coughing, sneezing, and watery eyes, but the congestion and headaches were even worse. Although he tested negative for allergies, his ENT posited he was reacting to ragweed due to the time of year his symptoms typically began. He put my husband on a nasal steroid (like Flonase) coupled with the antihistamine that works best for him (in his case, Zyrtec).

However, the most important part of this therapy, his doctor told him, is to start the nasal steroid at least THREE WEEKS prior Opening Day (or, the start of ragweed season). Itís important, he said, to get in front of your histamine reaction and almost impossible to thwart it if you wait until youíre symptomatic before you act.
That's what they told my wife about Flonase. So she does. Me I take it when I start feeling symptoms. I notice a difference fairly quickly. But if I am really having bad symptoms, if I take it for at least three days in a row, by the third day, most of my symptoms are gone.

A month ago. I my chest was full of fluid, from constant drainage. I felt like I was going to suffocate, literally. I could not sleep for about a week, it was bad. I really started to think I had that covid crap. I finally tried some Flonase, the first night I noticed a improvement, I was able to finally sleep. By the third day, all of the fluid in my chest was gone and I felt normal. The ridiculous drainage had stopped and the fluid in my chest cleared up.

I have used Claritin, Tavis, Claritin D and Tavis D. All of those are good for two days, then I can't tell I am taking anything. The Flonase has worked miracles for me. The only reason I tried it, was my wife's doctor recommended it for her and it worked great for her. So I tried it, it has worked great, even better for me than for her. She does what the doctor told her to do, start taking it a month before her allergies kick her in the rear. That process works for her.

We were both out of Flonase, I went to HEB yesterday, because I needed to work outside and whatever was in the air, was causing me to have sneezing fits. So I went and bought some Flonase, so I could get some work done. It stopped my sneezing fits. I took it about 2:00 PM yesterday, by this morning, I was having sinus headaches and sneezing, did so most of the day. I did not take the Flonase when I got up this morning, I should have. When I got home, I took some more Flonase and the headaches cleared up and the sneezing quit. My wife sees how quickly it works on me and gets irritated, because it does not work like that for her.

I wish this stuff was around 30 years ago. For many years, I had bad cedar allergies, for the first seven to ten years, I lived up here, I was sure one year, the cedar was going to kill me. I tried every over the counter allergy medicine I could find. After about fifteen years, I was sure all over the counter allergy medicines were not worth a crap. I think about seven years ago, I traded my cedar allergies, for about every other plant allergy, I could possibly have. I don't have cedar problems in the winter anymore, so it does not mess up my deer hunting anymore. I just have allergies, the rest of the year.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 12:30 AM   #14
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
That's what they told my wife about Flonase. So she does. Me I take it when I start feeling symptoms. I notice a difference fairly quickly. But if I am really having bad symptoms, if I take it for at least three days in a row, by the third day, most of my symptoms are gone.

A month ago. I my chest was full of fluid, from constant drainage. I felt like I was going to suffocate, literally. I could not sleep for about a week, it was bad. I really started to think I had that covid crap. I finally tried some Flonase, the first night I noticed a improvement, I was able to finally sleep. By the third day, all of the fluid in my chest was gone and I felt normal. The ridiculous drainage had stopped and the fluid in my chest cleared up.

I have used Claritin, Tavis, Claritin D and Tavis D. All of those are good for two days, then I can't tell I am taking anything. The Flonase has worked miracles for me. The only reason I tried it, was my wife's doctor recommended it for her and it worked great for her. So I tried it, it has worked great, even better for me than for her. She does what the doctor told her to do, start taking it a month before her allergies kick her in the rear. That process works for her.

We were both out of Flonase, I went to HEB yesterday, because I needed to work outside and whatever was in the air, was causing me to have sneezing fits. So I went and bought some Flonase, so I could get some work done. It stopped my sneezing fits. I took it about 2:00 PM yesterday, by this morning, I was having sinus headaches and sneezing, did so most of the day. I did not take the Flonase when I got up this morning, I should have. When I got home, I took some more Flonase and the headaches cleared up and the sneezing quit. My wife sees how quickly it works on me and gets irritated, because it does not work like that for her.

I wish this stuff was around 30 years ago. For many years, I had bad cedar allergies, for the first seven to ten years, I lived up here, I was sure one year, the cedar was going to kill me. I tried every over the counter allergy medicine I could find. After about fifteen years, I was sure all over the counter allergy medicines were not worth a crap. I think about seven years ago, I traded my cedar allergies, for about every other plant allergy, I could possibly have. I don't have cedar problems in the winter anymore, so it does not mess up my deer hunting anymore. I just have allergies, the rest of the year.
Iíve never heard of a nasal steroid working this fast but, Wow!, Iím really happy you get such great results!

The other really cool thing about nasal steroids that not many people know is that, unlike corticosteroids, nasal steroids do not cause the systemic side effects that corticosteroids do (such as weight gain, fluid retention, decreased resistance to infection, insomnia, and depression, just to name a few); rather, when a nasal steroid is aspirated, it goes straight to the affected area (your sinuses) and bonds directly to the T-cells in the affected area causing a cascade of effects that ultimately ďtamps downĒ your bodyís overactive immune (or ďhistamineĒ) response to the allergen causing it! And if this isnít awesome enough, any aspirated steroid that isnít needed, is automatically swallowed and eliminated from your body through your kidneys via your urine! No way to overdose!

I know I sound like a nerd but this is really revolutionary stuff!
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 12:32 AM   #15
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo area

Neilmed! When you start feeling like crap use it once or twice a day until it’s gone
Houston4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 12:42 AM   #16
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Dymista is the shizz but it’s prescription only and it’s expensive. Only thing that works for me though. It’s a nasal spray but they came out with a generic this year that is working fine for me. Generic is about $80 with GoodRx. Dymista name brand was about $230
tmurray is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 01:47 AM   #17
Button
Four Point

Hunt In: Mostly the ocean

I’ve never had allergies but my wife gets them every spring/fall.
Button is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top