Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-22-2020, 05:08 AM   #1101
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
Hey Glenn,
What did you call us that one time? West Matagorda TBH Posse or something??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #1102
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
lmao!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #1103
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey Glenn,

At one point 3 of the guys came wading up to the boat. I told them they looked like a bunch of gunslingers coming in. LOL!
Old 10-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #1104
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Quote:
Hey Glenn,

Probably the West Matagorda Bay Perch Jerkers. Or maybe it was Dinks-R-Us. Heck, I can't remember. I spout brilliant stuff off pretty much all the time. It's really hard to mentally catalog it all.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #1105
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
Probably the West Matagorda Bay Perch Jerkers. Or maybe it was Dinks-R-Us. Heck, I can't remember. I spout brilliant stuff off pretty much all the time. It's really hard to mentally catalog it all.

LMAO. It was something else.

gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #1106
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Just stop by Matagorda Outfitters next time you are down. They had a whole bunch of Bart's Bay Armor boots last weekend when I was in there.
I'll axe for the Glenn special discount
Quote:
Lol

I think it was the west bay posse or something.

It was pretty much the reason we heckled you all the way out of the harbor Monday. The guy on the starboard rear didn't know which way to look being it was coming from two sides

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #1107
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Lmao! Greatness! 😂
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #1108
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Another great day on the water today. Kendall Kersh and I took these guys fishing this morning and caught a pile.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #1109
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

First cast of the morning. Cork sat for less than a minute. Was expecting that pull from a 15Ē trout but this one felt a bit heavier :.
Attached Images

PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #1110
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:
Another great day on the water today. Kendall Kersh and I took these guys fishing this morning and caught a pile.

You the man Glenn.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 09:57 PM   #1111
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Quote:

Nice Glen..... hard to fish or work with 6,587 speed boats today
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #1112
Mexico
Pope & Young

Nice Glenn!!
Old 10-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #1113
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

Your dang sure consistent!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #1114
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Nice Glen..... hard to fish or work with 6,587 speed boats today
Just gotta get in there amongst 'em and go to work.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #1115
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Your dang sure consistent!
Thank you sir! Signs of a mis-spent youth. If only I had worked as hard at school as I did at fishing... I might be traveling the world and letting other folks unhook my fish for me in many cool and exotic locations.

Learn from my mistakes kids.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:16 AM   #1116
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Shout out to Brian for saving my *** tonight, really appreciate it brother. Some **** good people in this world, gives me hope for mankind lmao!
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 12:29 AM   #1117
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Shout out to Brian for saving my *** tonight, really appreciate it brother. Some **** good people in this world, gives me hope for mankind lmao!

Just glad youíre ok brother! Been there before. Glad to help!

Old 10-24-2020, 12:41 AM   #1118
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Congrats Glenn on another great day!
Old 10-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #1119
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Thank you sir! Signs of a mis-spent youth. If only I had worked as hard at school as I did at fishing... I might be traveling the world and letting other folks unhook my fish for me in many cool and exotic locations.

Learn from my mistakes kids.
Call me up..I'll come deckhand for ya and give it my best foreign accent.
Quote:
I heard about that. Glad yall found a safe spot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #1120
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yup, Bryan is good people. Glad you're ok.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:52 AM   #1121
justletmein
Pope & Young

Thx gang. Yeah I've been running around Espiritu duck hunting and camping the winters for 20 years so no stranger to being caught out in terrible Northerns and I've raced my fair share of storms in the middle of the night, but with that comes the experience to also know when you're licked. West Matty gets worse than Espiritu but I've been out in 30mph Northerns there before too, this one was considerably different and that NE wind angle running the length of the bay longways made for swells that was flat out irresponsible to be out running around in. I came out from coast guard station and immediately knew it was worse than I'd seen before, ran shallow as far up as I could but there was no way we were safely making it past the channel to the big island, likely would have ended up in a really bad situation had I tried it. It was blowing and nasty when I left the big island camp to go get my sister at Froggies but it wasn't dangerous bad, but on the way back to camp it was just straight up dangerous and just flat couldn't make it back. We had a good weekend though and everybody made it home safely with no unplanned swimming lessons. lol

Last edited by justletmein; 10-26-2020 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #1122
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Thx gang. Yeah I've been running around Espiritu duck hunting and camping the winters for 20 years so no stranger to being caught out in terrible Northerns and I've raced my fair share of storms in the middle of the night, but with that comes the experience to also know when you're licked. West Matty gets worse than Espiritu but I've been out in 30mph Northerns there before too, this one was considerably different and that NE wind angle running the length of the bay longways made for swells that was flat out irresponsible to be out running around in. I came out from coast guard station and immediately knew it was worse than I'd seen before, ran shallow as far up as I could but there was no way we were safely making it past the channel to the big island, likely would have ended up in a really bad situation had I tried it. It was blowing and nasty when I left the big island camp to go get my sister at Froggies but it wasn't dangerous bad, but on the way back to camp it was just straight up dangerous and just flat couldn't make it back. We had a good weekend though and everybody made it home safely with no unplanned swimming lessons. lol

Man I have been there before. A few year ago we were duck hunting on the little island south of the cedars when a cold front hit. We were barely able to push our boats on the shore against the north wind and waves. Only had about a mile to go to get back to camp but we were running straight into 5-6í swells. Worst boat ride ever. Scared the hell out of me. Had my buddyís dog hooked to my leaning post and decided to unlatch him because I was seriously worried we might capsize and wanted to at least give him a fighting chance to swim to shore. Learned a few lessons that day. If I ever get caught that situation again I will leave my boat on the shore and walk the mile back.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #1123
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Man I have been there before. A few year ago we were duck hunting on the little island south of the cedars when a cold front hit. We were barely able to push our boats on the shore against the north wind and waves. Only had about a mile to go to get back to camp but we were running straight into 5-6í swells. Worst boat ride ever. Scared the hell out of me. Had my buddyís dog hooked to my leaning post and decided to unlatch him because I was seriously worried we might capsize and wanted to at least give him a fighting chance to swim to shore. Learned a few lessons that day. If I ever get caught that situation again I will leave my boat on the shore and walk the mile back.

These pics were taken about 45 minutes before all hell broke loose. Beautiful afternoon. Flat calm.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #1124
Mayhem
Pope & Young

The more I think about it, we did some downright stupid crap when I was a kid to make it to the south shoreline to shoot ducks.

18í flat bottom alweld tunnel hitting swells and walls off water coming over the bow.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #1125
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
These pics were taken about 45 minutes before all hell broke loose. Beautiful afternoon. Flat calm.
Ah yeah, seen that so many times it's almost scary now. I stood on a rock groin near the old army base one January, we knew a storm was inbound and the wind just stopped, for about an hour it was muggy and buggy just gross. I heard kind of a roar like a distance train engine and walked to the rock groin, saw some water/wave action and turned and told my wife I think it's coming, turned back around and massive wind just blasts us like a wall of air and pushed me back. That was a really bad one but it was straight North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
The more I think about it, we did some downright stupid crap when I was a kid to make it to the south shoreline to shoot ducks.

18í flat bottom alweld tunnel hitting swells and walls off water coming over the bow.
Ducks are trouble man, lol... We had the coast guard going around tents one night waking everyone up looking for some campers. They'd run to town for something, somebody reported a capsized hull and got the TX numbers and the CG got a hold of the wife or something who told them they were out camping with us. I might be getting my memories mixed up but I think that was the one the kid survived by climbing out on to those oil rig or gas standpipes whatever they are, the uncle and father drown.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #1126
Button
Four Point

Hunt In: Mostly the ocean

I like surf fishing
Button is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #1127
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

The problem with ducks is every dude with a 14' aluminum boat thinks he has a duck boat and will run it across an open bay in the dark to kill a duck even in bad weather. I see little bitty low sided, narrow aluminum boats with small tiller steer motors loaded to the gills with 2-3 guys, 2 dogs and a pile of gear headed out into the darkness with a 20+ mph wind blowing. It is an absolute wonder that more don't die.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #1128
justletmein
Pope & Young

The key for boats like that is knowing your waters and conditions and staying protected. But yeah overloaded boats crossing unprotected is a bad recipe.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #1129
Buck hunter332
Six Point

Hunt In: Tilden

Quote:
The problem with ducks is every dude with a 14' aluminum boat thinks he has a duck boat and will run it across an open bay in the dark to kill a duck even in bad weather. I see little bitty low sided, narrow aluminum boats with small tiller steer motors loaded to the gills with 2-3 guys, 2 dogs and a pile of gear headed out into the darkness with a 20+ mph wind blowing. It is an absolute wonder that more don't die.
Iíve seen a lot of them boats in rock port crossing the bay itís crazy and they donít turn around
Buck hunter332 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #1130
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

I definitely watch the weather a lot more than I used too. My boats not small. But we almost sank it in big lake a few thanksgivings ago. Caught on the east bank, weirs wont let you up in the marsh to escape. Broke pretty much everything mounted in my boat, all electronics, and probably wouldn't have made it back if I didn't have so much motor and a jack plate. We were sitting in calf deep water when we made it. I ran it up on the launch.

No interest in doing that again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 11:54 PM   #1131
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

Port O. Around fish pond

buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 12:05 AM   #1132
Mexico
Pope & Young

Y'all can have those ducks, they taste like mud anyway.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:16 AM   #1133
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Y'all can have those ducks, they taste like mud anyway.
I used to just choke them down because I had to, but man we defrosted the last bag of duck breasts 2 weeks ago and they were fantastic. I have no idea what I did differently except splashing it with some Worcestershire sauce before grilling. The bag wasn't labeled which means it was likely a mix of random ducks probably even some Redheads in there.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #1134
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I used to just choke them down because I had to, but man we defrosted the last bag of duck breasts 2 weeks ago and they were fantastic. I have no idea what I did differently except splashing it with some Worcestershire sauce before grilling. The bag wasn't labeled which means it was likely a mix of random ducks probably even some Redheads in there.

I want whatever you were smokiní
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #1135
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
I want whatever you were smokiní
Duck breasts? We smoked duck breasts.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #1136
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Duck breasts? We smoked duck breasts.

Lol...then whatever you were drinking to make them taste good!
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #1137
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Lol...then whatever you were drinking to make them taste good!
lol yeah that was probably Lonestar, could have been Skrewball though maybe that explains it.
The only thing I can think we did differently is last year we made a concerted effort to immediately clean birds.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:10 PM   #1138
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Here are a few from the last few days.

Fished Sunday with a TBHer and his family. Always a fun time. We got to take some folks from way up north and introduce them to Texas bay fishing. It was alot of fun with some really good folks.

We had a few tough days and a few really good days. It's fishing.

I took a group from Texas Marine on Saturday and it wasn't bad.

And last but not least I fished with the Safe Floor crew this evening.

Fishing has been pretty good at times and frustrating at times. We have been getting them mainly on soft plastics under coastal corks but also on straight assassins and little johns.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #1139
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here are a few from the last few days.

Fished Sunday with a TBHer and his family. Always a fun time. We got to take some folks from way up north and introduce them to Texas bay fishing. It was alot of fun with some really good folks.

We had a few tough days and a few really good days. It's fishing.

I took a group from Texas Marine on Saturday and it wasn't bad.

And last but not least I fished with the Safe Floor crew this evening.

Fishing has been pretty good at times and frustrating at times. We have been getting them mainly on soft plastics under coastal corks but also on straight assassins and little johns.

Gotta take care of that Safe Floor crew! I still need to hit them up!

Thatís good consistent catching for sure.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #1140
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Yes sir, Brandon and his crew take care of me bigtime and I get 'em out fishing as much as I can. They are some really good guys and without a doubt I love their product. It'll be in my new boat for sure.

When you call and talk to Brandon tell him you are one of my fishing buddys and it'll for sure get you at least an extra 20% tacked on to the price.

Last edited by Coastal Ducks; 11-03-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #1141
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Way to go Glenn! Congrats!
Old 11-04-2020, 01:31 AM   #1142
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes sir, Brandon and his crew take care of me bigtime and I get 'em out fishing as much as I can. They are some really good guys and without a doubt I love their product. It'll be in my new boat for sure.

When you call and talk to Brandon tell him you are one of my fishing buddys and it'll for sure get you at least an extra 20% tacked on to the price.

Lol.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #1143
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

We fished East Matagorda yesterday and struggled with the tides being so high still, fish have not pulled up onto the shorelines yet, as we can see from Glen’s post. Need to tide to drop for my style of fishing. Hopefully it happens before I go back to work!

Nice work Glen, consistently posting good boxes of fish.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #1144
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
We fished East Matagorda yesterday and struggled with the tides being so high still, fish have not pulled up onto the shorelines yet, as we can see from Glenís post. Need to tide to drop for my style of fishing. Hopefully it happens before I go back to work!

Nice work Glen, consistently posting good boxes of fish.
You still have a ways to go before the shrimp are gone. It'll probably be mid Dec like most years before they get back on mullet.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #1145
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
You still have a ways to go before the shrimp are gone. It'll probably be mid Dec like most years before they get back on mullet.
I was amazed at how much shrimp was in the bay. In the back of Catch all you could have cast netted all you wanted, insane. Maybe when I get back in mid-January I can fish my normal late Fall pattern... year after year I am on solid fish around Veterans Day, this year is gonna be different I think.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #1146
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I was amazed at how much shrimp was in the bay. In the back of Catch all you could have cast netted all you wanted, insane. Maybe when I get back in mid-January I can fish my normal late Fall pattern... year after year I am on solid fish around Veterans Day, this year is gonna be different I think.

I donít know if I suck or what but fishing shorelines has been terrible for me in East Matty this year. There were shrimp and birds working everywhere Saturday. In the bay, all up the river, in the diversion.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #1147
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
I donít know if I suck or what but fishing shorelines has been terrible for me in East Matty this year. There were shrimp and birds working everywhere Saturday. In the bay, all up the river, in the diversion.

My dad went yesterday and has the same issue we did with the sand trout under the birds in the diversion.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #1148
Mexico
Pope & Young

That last trip to West we took it was unreal the birds working that East end... in sure there was a lot of junk under them I'd imagine.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:31 PM   #1149
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
That last trip to West we took it was unreal the birds working that East end... in sure there was a lot of junk under them I'd imagine.

Hard heads and gafftop was my guess
Old 11-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #1150
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
That was reds, I almost guarantee it, there had been a bunch of redfish on that end at that time. The birds we jacked with in the diversion had a bunch of trout and sand trout under them, just hard to get the specks for the sand trout.

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 11-04-2020 at 10:37 PM.