Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 09-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #401
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Love this thread, Great build!!

You're gonna love having the additional deck space.
ballgame is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #402
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Ok. I'm ready to come work for free just to see the views and enjoy the smell of the air

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #403
wlee15
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Ok. I'm ready to come work for free just to see the views and enjoy the smell of the air

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Come on!!
wlee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #404
russ_wit91084
Spike

nice!
russ_wit91084 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #405
wlee15
Six Point

I went to the ranch this past weekend with My wife, Andy and Erin.

On Friday we installed 3 new flags, 2 on the front entrance gates and 1 on the East side deck. (Pics 1-3) Then we worked on finishing the deck railing on the East deck. We cut the 5/8" rods and welded them in.. and painted them to match. (Pics 4-6)

On Saturday we got to work installing the new deck on the West side of the cabin. This deck extends the old deck out and adds a 12'x6' storage unit. we framed up the decking and storage unit and installed 5 13' 2x6 deck boards. We still need about 12 more 2x6's to get the deck done but since lumber is so scare right now 5 is all they had at Lowes (pics 13-15).

We then began installing the new laminate flooring. I choose to use 14mm thick laminate to make the floor that much more sturdy. We choose Grey to tie into the metal wainscoting. The installation we pretty straight forward and easy. We were able to get the entire Living room flooring installed on Saturday afternoon. (Pics 7,8)

On Sunday we finished the flooring in the Master and Spare bedrooms and installed the trim baseboards. (Pics 9-12) We brought in the full sized beds that will be placed in them as well so we now have a good beds to sleep on!!

We still have a ton of tools and materials in the cabin taking up space, so it is now a priority to get the storage unit skinned and dried in so we can move in the rest of the furniture. Things are moving fast, and time spent out there is getting more and more enjoyable.

I didn't get any hunting done this time out. Maybe next time. We will be going out again in 2 weeks.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #406
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

man that's looking so good. Great work.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #407
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW of Dallas

Still amazed at this build.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #408
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Still amazed at this build.
Spot on
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #409
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Strong work is continuing to be performed here.
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #410
Tequilazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings & Polk Co.

Best 30 minutes of my day reading this thread. Fantastic build !!
Tequilazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #411
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching

Your Texas flag is upside down.
smokeless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #412
megger89
Six Point

Hunt In: All of Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeless View Post
It sure is!! Please fix it soon! Flying the Texas flag upside down means there is war or blood shedding on Texas soil.

Thank you!
megger89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #413
dstrong
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

Man this has come along well! Great workmanship! Awesome!
dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #414
cj_sandman
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee15 View Post
I have tons of friends that want to come the ranch to hang out/hunt but not a one has helped with getting it built.
That's a shame, and unfortunately seems like this is often the case. I have been blessed with a few good friends that are willing to get their hands dirty with me, but also have a lot of 'friends' that don't even know the most basic etiquette for being a guest at deer camp.

Great pics, the build looks amazing, and I really enjoyed seeing the evolution from the start with the framing, to where you got the deck finished and were kicking back reflecting, and finally later on closer to completion where you have family/friends enjoying the space.

I built an 8x32 deck in front of my place and I remember that day vividly. Ran all the batteries dead driving countless deck screws and the chargers couldn't keep up.. had just a few boards left to go so I ended up hot-swapping batteries to get things done. Kicking back on that finished deck with a cold beer.. priceless memories.

I wish you and your family lots of joy and great memories in the space you've created. God bless.
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #415
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeless View Post
Thank you! I will get that corrected asap.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #416
Mbbriggs05
Six Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine

This is amazing!!!!
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #417
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post
That's a shame, and unfortunately seems like this is often the case. I have been blessed with a few good friends that are willing to get their hands dirty with me, but also have a lot of 'friends' that don't even know the most basic etiquette for being a guest at deer camp.

Great pics, the build looks amazing, and I really enjoyed seeing the evolution from the start with the framing, to where you got the deck finished and were kicking back reflecting, and finally later on closer to completion where you have family/friends enjoying the space.

I built an 8x32 deck in front of my place and I remember that day vividly. Ran all the batteries dead driving countless deck screws and the chargers couldn't keep up.. had just a few boards left to go so I ended up hot-swapping batteries to get things done. Kicking back on that finished deck with a cold beer.. priceless memories.

I wish you and your family lots of joy and great memories in the space you've created. God bless.

Thank you and everyone else for the kind words. It is far from complete but I can finally see the light at the end of tunnel. Every trip out is always work related, but instead of working 14 hours each day we are slowing it down to only 6 or so, so we can enjoy it more. I cannot wait to be 100% complete!

I can tell you that having this forum to post the progress has really help me stayed focused, and you all inspire me to continue the hard work through all of the wonderful comments received.

Thank you!

Here are some leisurely photos from this past weekend:
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #418
JMart76
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill country

Beautiful, enjoy it as much as you can! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
JMart76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #419
sp-bow
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Amazing place, living the dream.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #420
hunterburch42
Six Point

Hunt In: Ozona

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee15 View Post
When I was looking for a property I wanted to find an area that had a good view to build a cabin. I wanted to make sure I had good southern exposure to the roof-line for Solar Panel placement on the roof. I found a great spot with good Northern Views out the Front of the Cabin (Pic1) and the the East (Pic 2)

We cleared out the area, it was not very level, but that's ok. The front of the cabin will have a large deck on it, which would be a great place to place Water Storage tank(s) underneath when I install the water catchment. I believe that the elevations change from 6" off the ground at the back of the cabin to 6-7 feet off the ground in the front. Its 24' front to back.

I decided that a concrete foundation would be WAY to expensive. Pier and beam was the way to go. I considered using Cedar Posts and Beams, but I want this cabin to last a very long time. I decided to use Steel instead of wood for all of the framing, making it last longer that I will. I choose 3" square tubing for the pier and the main beams with 2" runners. I also place 1.5" angle Iron across the bottom of the runners for added strength and 1.5" square tubing for angled gussets from the mail beams to the piers (not in these pictures) but you will see them later on in the build.

I had NO experience welding but my best friend Andy did so we just decided to get after it.

You may have answered a long time ago but, how the hell did you drill down for your “pier”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hunterburch42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #421
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterburch42 View Post
You may have answered a long time ago but, how the hell did you drill down for your “pier”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are situated right on top a bedrock. On some posts we were about to get down 1 foot, some 6" and others are right on top of the bedrock. We just did the best we could. We concreted in quite a few of them (all that we could dig down a bit and some that were on top by creating a rock dam around it) I think with the weight of the whole structure and the sheer width of the entire thing now it would take something catastrophic to displace it, and if that is the case I am sure that the cabin would be the least of my worries.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #422
wlee15
Six Point

I went to the ranch this past weekend with my wife. I left on Friday morning, while she was still at work. I arrived at about 1PM and immediately started working on the West side deck and storage unit project. I started by painting the base metal and the shed studs. After painting and letting it dry a bit I began installing the deck boards. I installed and screwed down 11 2x5x16's and then cut the ends even with the existing boards. I After that, I cut the OSB flooring sheets to size and installed them on the floor within the storage unit. Finally before my wife got there installed the roof panels on storage unit. (Pic 1)

My wife arrived at about 5PM. We spent Friday night cooking and enjoying cold beverages. It was pretty chilly but not too bad, just sweater or light jacket weather. Inside the cabin the temp was perfect no AC or heat needed.

Saturday we had a POA meeting/BBQ that I was hosting at the top of the cul-de-sac at my property. The start time was 3PM so could only work until 12:30 or so in order to get things prepared for the meeting. We woke up early and went to breakfast in Rocksprings. At about 10AM my wife and I started installing the metal siding for the storage unit. We were ale to get the entire unit skinned minus the door in about 2 hours. We were able to move all materials and tools from inside the cabin and place them in the unit. (pics 2&3) I bought a futon to place in the living room from amazon. I was able to get the futon built and in place before 1PM. (pics 4 &5)

The POA meeting and BBQ in the cul-de-sac was a huge success and everyone enjoyed seeing the progress we have made.

On Sunday we woke up early. We still needed to build the door for the storage unit. Andy usually does most (almost all) of the welding. I wanted to get it done so I tackled the job myself. I welded up the frame and installed the hinges. It fit perfect and I will say my welds didn't look too bad for a rookie. We installed the panels on the door as well as a handle and lock. (Pics 6-8)

After cleaning up and filling feeders we noticed that our sewer line was clogged. At first I thought that the 600 gallon tank was full (been in use for almost 6 months). I went and checked it and it was only about 5" full... I checked the clean out I have 1/2 way between the toilet and the tank and it was clear. SO I knew it was going to be a mess. Luckily my neighbor had a snake I could use. The snake pushed the clog down past the clean out. I moved the snake to the cleanout and pushed toward the tank but I think it was just too short to break it loose. I attempted to feed the snake from inside the tank, but the black tank was too **** hot. I purposely did not glue in the fittings where the sewer line connected to the tank. I disconnected it and it was dry. I had to bring the entire line down about 1foot for gravity to do its job, and it came out in a gush! **** IT STUNK. unfortunately it went all over the place outside the tank. I am hoping nature does it job and it wont stink too long. Anyone lease ever have this happen or a sewer leak? would say its about 10Gallons of TP Poop and water. what should or can I do? I think will move the sewer line from going in on top down to the side giving it about 1.5 foot more drop to prevent this from happening again.

thanks!
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #423
Scubasteveo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

Be careful on the amount of drop in the sewer line. I know it sounds weird, but too steep and the water will outrun the poop. If it's 4" or 6" you only want 1/8" drop per foot of run. Might be inconvenient, but you might want to add a couple more cleanouts if your run is long.

The smell should be gone in a week or two.
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #424
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteveo View Post
Be careful on the amount of drop in the sewer line. I know it sounds weird, but too steep and the water will outrun the poop. If it's 4" or 6" you only want 1/8" drop per foot of run. Might be inconvenient, but you might want to add a couple more cleanouts if your run is long.

The smell should be gone in a week or two.
Thanks for the tip! I believe that the run is about 45'. Using 1/8" per foot that is about 5' 6.5" of drop (about 1" every 8'). I will have to check it out to verify but I might be over that pitch. The picture below is the last 10-12' the slope is consistent all the way to the toilet. From the looks of the picture it looks more like 3-4" per 8' what do you think? Either way I am going to add a couple of cleanouts. One in between the middle one and the toilet and another between the middle one the tank.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #425
Scubasteveo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

Looks like the 3-4" per foot like you said. I would either raise it up, or like you said add more clean outs, and run a fair amount of water down it before you leave to go back home to flush the system.
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 11:51 PM   #426
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I didn't go back and look, but I bet you have a low flow toilet too? I'd bet "too much drop" is the problem. Can probably be fixed with more cleanouts and a big "water dump" down the system before you leave. Pour the toilet full of water and send it down all at once. If it's pretty cold, that plan may not work though. Ice in that pipe could really queer the deal.

This remains one of the great DIYs in TBH history, either way. Really remarkable progress, especially given the time allowed to work. Purely out of curiosity, how do you have the cabin insured? I only ask because of the "unorthidox" construction techniques, and lack of inspections. It's none of my business and you can certainly tell me so. I don't doubt a single thing you've done, just curious how that works, and hope you are protected in case of fire or whatever.

Again, the place is absolutely phenominal!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #427
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I didn't go back and look, but I bet you have a low flow toilet too? I'd bet "too much drop" is the problem. Can probably be fixed with more cleanouts and a big "water dump" down the system before you leave. Pour the toilet full of water and send it down all at once. If it's pretty cold, that plan may not work though. Ice in that pipe could really queer the deal.

This remains one of the great DIYs in TBH history, either way. Really remarkable progress, especially given the time allowed to work. Purely out of curiosity, how do you have the cabin insured? I only ask because of the "unorthidox" construction techniques, and lack of inspections. It's none of my business and you can certainly tell me so. I don't doubt a single thing you've done, just curious how that works, and hope you are protected in case of fire or whatever.

The only inspection/permit Ive had for our place on limestone is for the septic. Had to get a plan approved by the county before install. Everything else we did. We called the insurance company told them what we had and what we wanted and they wrote a policy.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #428
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

At this very moment I do not have insurance. I have a quote in hand but they have a skirting requirement. I have bought the skirting material already just need to install it. Because there is still some underside work I do not want to skirt it until completely done. I was really surprised at how affordable it was. The premium quoted was only $548.00 per year for 100,000 coverage of the dwelling.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #429
wlee15
Six Point

I made a quick trip out to the ranch Friday morning by myself. The goal was to spend Friday Sat and Sunday out there to get a few things I can do alone.

First thing I did on Friday was take everything out of the Shed so I could install the flooring. I had 4 boxes of Laminate flooring that I had originally purchased for the inside of the cabin but changed we our minds on the color. Instead of returning those boxes I decided to keep em and use them somewhere else. I calculated the sq footage of the shed and determined that the 4 boxes were enough to do the job. I know; laminate flooring in a shed???? why the heck not! I got the laminate floor installed pretty quickly and returned the equipment and stuff back inside. Pics 1-4.

Secondly on Friday I started working on the deck around the bathroom. These boards need to be cut rounded around the Silo to fit. I was able to get most dangerous one done. (minus the screws I ran out!) Pics 5-7

Friday night I had a nice dinner, and then got a text from my son in South Dakota. The text said that he had a very good chance to get some playing time (he's a freshman QB at Dakota Wesleyan University) That text changed my weekend plans. I decided to go back home to watch the game on TV. So Saturday morning I just cleaned everything up and drove back to SA. I was happy I did because he got his very first snaps as a college football player as a true freshman. We were very proud of him and how he played considering the bad circumstances he had to go in with. Pic 8
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2020, 01:12 AM   #430
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Looking great, that is great about your Son. I hope he is having a blast up there.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 01:59 AM   #431
jer_james
Pope & Young

Continued Greatness and Congrats on the kiddo!
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #432
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Looking great, that is great about your Son. I hope he is having a blast up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Continued Greatness and Congrats on the kiddo!
Thank you!
Old 10-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #433
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Coke Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Niiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!!
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 12:45 AM   #434
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Sweet!
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #435
Rwc
Pope & Young

And it just keeps getting better.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #436
stuntriderant
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elgin/Bastrop county

This is a dads living the dream thread! Thanks for updating and taking us along.
stuntriderant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #437
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion, Kimble & Fayette counties

Looking good!!
EZ-10RANCH is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #438
wlee15
Six Point

I went to the ranch by myself again this past weekend. It was just a play weekend for me but I did get a few minor things done:

I finished all the trim work inside the cabin!

I added a piece of hardy board behind the heater to help prevent a possible fire. So now the heater stands off the wall about 2 full inches with air gaps between the heater and hardy board, and another air gap between the wall and the hardy board.

I finished screwing in the deck boards I had already cut and installed.

I installed a game hoist on the game rack that we built and took out there in 2017.

I installed a new "cabin feeder" about 40 yards away to watch the deer on the deck. (Pics 1&2)

I delivered the 6v batteries for the solar system (hope to get the battery house built and installed my next time out)

Like I said this was a play weekend, so I got some much needed hunting time. Saturday morning I watched several does and a small buck, decided to pass on them. Saturday afternoon I had 3 grey foxes come to the feeder. I watched them fro a while and two of them lined up under the feeder side by side. I thought to myself "no way you can make a double on fox" I settled in and squeezed the trigger, sure enough 2 fox taken with one shot. The third fox didn't know what happened and cam back to the feeder on the opposite side of the feed pen. I attempted to take that one too but I believe I hit the hog panel on the back side of the feed pen. None the less it was pretty awesome. I gave the foxes to my neighbor who's wife just opened a taxidermy shop in Rocksprings. I need to decide on how I want them posed.(Pics 4&5)
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #439
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Lined up with that just shot look on their face.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #440
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Great looking build.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #441
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

All caught up, surprised I missed this thread. All I can say is "Party Time Mom!!!"
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #442
wlee15
Six Point

I made a weekend trip with the wife and one of her friends. We were able to get quite a been done.

Friday I got some new LED string lights installed under the Porch, and hung a hanging LED light over the out door dining table. (pic1)

Saturday Morning we first worked on the Shed. The girls removed everything out and then we used spray foam to fill in all the R-Panel ridges to help keep the mice and critters out. (pic2&3)

After that we began working on the solar panels. I have 3 180Watt Solar Panels that needed to be mounted to the roof. The Girls and I were able to get them up pretty fast. (pic4)

Saturday afternoon we started working on the solar battery room. I didn't want to take any space up inside the cabin so Andy and I pre made the frame for a lean to style battery room on the back side of the cabin. The girls and were able to get the metal frame installed plum and level.

Sunday I worked on skinning the battery room with plywood and Tyveck; then installed the cedar siding on the sides. (pic 5)

Later this week I plan to finish the siding on the door, install the roof tin and stain the wood to match the house. Once that is done I will get all the batteries and electronics installed so we can bring in the refrigerator!

Last pictures are the sunset on Saturday evening.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 05:16 PM   #443
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Looking good!
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #444
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Looks really great. Please post up details, and several pictures, once you start on the solar install.
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #445
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

Man that’s looking nice. Be hard to leave that when it’s time to head back home.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #446
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma
Default Ranch Cabin Build

Outstanding. It’s really come together. Thanks for sharing!
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #447
onesy
Nubbin' Buck

This is an incredible project. Really like the bath house!
onesy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #448
Bryan11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Limestone Co

Do you plan to insulate or condition the battery room? I'd be curious how the heat and cold affects the life of the batteries. Great build by the way, been following along for quite some time.
Bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #449
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan11 View Post
Do you plan to insulate or condition the battery room? I'd be curious how the heat and cold affects the life of the batteries. Great build by the way, been following along for quite some time.
Yes the plan is to insulate the battery house. The battery compartment inside the battery house will be completely sealed so no battery fumes can enter the electrical area of the house. This structure will house 3 components of the house.

1) water pump. The bottom area will be sealed off and house the water pump for the Cabin.

2) The middle section will be used to hold the Batteries. It will be sealed off and vented out the sides.

3) the top will house the electrical system, including the charge controller, Inverter and 12v distribution panel.

I will post detailed pictures of the process as I get them installed.
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #450
wlee15
Six Point

I went to the ranch this past Wednesday night through Saturday evening with my son and one of his buddies from college. They were going to hunt while I spent the days working on the cabin. There were a few things that need to be fixed around the cabin in addition to finishing the Solar electrical installation.

Thursday AM the boys went out to hunt, I worked on little things here in there. When they came back we had breakfast and then started working. The boys helped me get a leaking tote drained and replaced with a new tote. Then we spent a few hours getting water to fill the new tote up. While they were working on the water I began working on the compartments within the Battery house. As I worked on the inside I realized that it would be way too cramped to dived the Solar shed into 3 separate compartments (water pump, batteries, & electrical systems). I decided to eliminate the water pump area because I think it made sense to keep the moisture out of the compartment. So I created a sealed batteries compartment at the bottom. I had to seal this compartment completely to ensure no battery fumes could get the electronics. This is done for two reasons. 1) I am using lead acid batteries which are corrosive, 2) The Fumes contain Hydrogen, which could explode if exposed to a spark in the electrical system. The battery compartment will be sealed above to prevent this from happening, AND I will install vents to disperse the fumes outside. I created the divider out of 2x4's and caulked in between them and around the perimeter. Then I placed a layer of plastic down on top of the 2x4 to form a vapor barrier. Then I sandwiched the plastic with a piece of plywood. Using a TON of caulk.
The boys hunted Thursday evening while I cleaned up.

Friday AM was an adventure. The boys went down to the blind early. at 8:20 I get a call from my son telling me that 2 illegal aliens OPENED up the blind door on them! I thought they were joking with me to honest because I have never seen any of that activity where we are and I have never heard of them actually opening up a blind door with hunters in it. He said that they saw on man walking right down the road that goes from the blind to the feeder. Then all of a sudden they heard the door latch begin to turn. it happens so fast that all they could do is turn around with their rifles in hand. The dude that opened the door was as surprised as then were, after making eye contact he shut the door and began walking really fast to catch up to his buddy. After about 10 yard they guy turns around with his hand in plain sight and begins walking back to the front of the blind. He gets right up to the window and asks my son if he had any food for them. My son says no and the two of them walk off continuing there journey. My son took several pictures of them as they walked away (pics 1-3) I called it in the Border Patrol but don't know what came of it. Next time I go out I am installing a latch on the inside of the blind!

Friday was a very productive day on for the solar shed. I completed the siding on the front door, stained the cabinet to match the house, and installed the roof. Then I installed the electrical components and hooked up the batteries. (Pics 4-9) The boys worked on getting a new feeder setup and then hunted that afternoon while I installed the latch, lock and handle.

Saturday AM while the boys hunted I worked on the internal 110V outlets. I installed the wire and outlets to the kitchen and bedrooms. I ran out of armored cable so that will be the first thing I will need to do next time out when I bring the refrigerator. Having finished all I can do with the electrical I had time to start working on the from door trim out. I was able to get the front door done in about 2 hours. (Pics 10 & 11) I then relaxed a bit. That afternoon the boys shot a fox and I when ahead and got some meat for the freezer by taking a Doe.

My Son also did some drone footage. (Pics 12-13)
Video link: https://youtu.be/ASCk3AymBPQ
Attached Images