Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 10-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #101
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Push County Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlersBoy View Post
One down. 10:30 this morning not much of a story but made me work for it. Checked 5/6 scrapes and never gave up a shot. Luckily and little **** head came in and made him turn just enough. Slipped one in him and he made it all of 15 yards. Little guys starting to bump does, big boys will be about a week behind them.Attachment 1023943
Attachment 1023944

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice buck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
arrowslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #102
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
One down. 10:30 this morning not much of a story but made me work for it. Checked 5/6 scrapes and never gave up a shot. Luckily and little **** head came in and made him turn just enough. Slipped one in him and he made it all of 15 yards. Little guys starting to bump does, big boys will be about a week behind them.Attachment 1023943
Attachment 1023944

...and Antlersboy is on the board!

Nice deer! Thanks for sharing.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #103
arrowslinger
Ten Point

My dad took my nephew for youth season and he laid this one down for his first buck ever!!

I'm headed up Tuesday morning for 6 days hopefully they start moving a little better for us!

Old 10-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #104
DZM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shackelford, Jones, & Jack Counties, TX, & SE OK

Great bucks going down!
DZM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #105
SB09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Attachment 1023944

You had to go out-do Michael didnít you?!

Congrats. Thatís a heck of a buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SB09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #106
tbgascorer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Attachment 1023944

Awesome picture there! Huge frame! Congrats!
tbgascorer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #107
DZM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shackelford, Jones, & Jack Counties, TX, & SE OK

This dude showed up a few days- hoping for a chance to sling an arrow

DZM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #108
chocolatelabs
Four Point

are you guys seeing much daytime movement?
chocolatelabs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #109
SB09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelabs View Post
are you guys seeing much daytime movement?

Daytime movement seems pretty good to me. Mid-late morning and then about 30mons before dark.

SB09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #110
3whunt
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
Daytime movement seems pretty good to me. Mid-late morning and then about 30mons before dark.

This is right. About before daylight. Late morning and right before dark. Dinks are for sure pushing some does. Our two biggest are still together....probably just weirdos. Scrapes are HOT too.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #111
chocolatelabs
Four Point

ok thanks. was debating on going up this weekend vs. next but maybe this weekend is the one.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #112
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
ok thanks. was debating on going up this weekend vs. next but maybe this weekend is the one.
Go every chance possible from now until Thanksgiving would be my advice.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #113
chocolatelabs
Four Point

true but won't go over all that well on the home front.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #114
millman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can draw a tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlersboy View Post
one down. 10:30 this morning not much of a story but made me work for it. Checked 5/6 scrapes and never gave up a shot. Luckily and little **** head came in and made him turn just enough. Slipped one in him and he made it all of 15 yards. Little guys starting to bump does, big boys will be about a week behind them.Attachment 1023943
Attachment 1023944

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
congrats!
millman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #115
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whunt View Post
This is right. About before daylight. Late morning and right before dark. Dinks are for sure pushing some does. Our two biggest are still together....probably just weirdos. Scrapes are HOT too.

Agree that on this.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #116
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
true but won't go over all that well on the home front.
Thats the reason I haven't been yet, save those hot opening few weeks for the lady and the rut few weeks for me!!! Haha good luck and if I would have to choose this weekend or next I would skip this weekend and make a deal the next 3 weekends are hunting time!!!

Old 10-20-2020, 12:43 AM   #117
AntlersBoy
Six Point

Hunt In: Push Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
You had to go out-do Michael didnít you?!

Congrats. Thatís a heck of a buck!

Ha, that was a stud of a deer and I got to put a knife in him to finish off so feels like I really killed two donkeys in two days. I donít think I out did mike though. He not going to type it up so I will do it quick. Bought the place one year ago asked for a little advice on deer and how to get them cornered then him and josh ďSb...whatever his green screen name isĒ put in a pile of work made stand spots hung cams put up feeders starting getting pics and asking age. Took a couple old deer off place and killed a pile of coyotes. Started this year with a few target deer and one of them was one mike got on, Josh passes him at 40 while his buddy was sitting on other end of property. Next day buddy was sitting in joshís stand and whacked him about 6 pm and 4,000 yards ď62Ē deer ran about 80 reforestation piling up.Name:  IMG_2557.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  67.4 KB

AntlersBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 01:50 AM   #118
AntlersBoy
Six Point

While Iím in the typing mood Iíll put a little story behind deer I killed because I realized I like to read the storyís on this site.

BROW TINE 8.

First got on my radar 4 years ago, got a pic of a buck I did not know... which is rare, I run about 30/40 cams on this 4,000 acres. His brows got me hooked.Name:  IMG_2580.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  57.1 KB
Started running a few extra cams around his area. Tested him that year with with some horns to see how aggressive he was. Rattled him in off ground first go at it. After seeing him on hoof knew he was going to be fun to watch.

Next year ď18Ē I had several donkeys I was chasing but kept cams running in normal spots. Had a few passing photos of deer throughout year, killed 2 deer I was after and starting pulling cams down without giving much thought to him.Name:  IMG_2576.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  33.5 KB
Next year ď19Ē I had way to much to hunt and way to little time, ran around in circles for a while before I killed a couple good bucks. Didnít spend much time on that particular lease but still kept cams running in normal spots. Had a big boss come in and set him up in one of my go to stand. Almost had a shot at a ďmonsterĒ in his eyes. I said what he look like, he said ďbrows up to his g-2ísĒ..... glad he didnít get shot.Name:  IMG_2577.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  51.1 KB
This year, I cut way way way back on what I normally hunt and focused on my honey hole lease, few weeks into running cams in normal spots this guy showed upName:  IMG_2484.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  85.3 KB
So I put all efforts into figuring out what he was doing and where he was coming and going from, about a week ago a fellow lesser said you know this deer? Name:  IMG_2509.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  84.1 KB
And I did, so set up on a scrape line in between him and spot I had deer on. Most of mine were at night and his were daytime.

Since oilfield crashed Iíve been at home working around house not getting off till late so me and my 4 year hung some cams at night. Checked couple days later and had good daytime pics of target deer. Went in Friday night and hung stand, hunted all day sat on scrape line to only find out it was a definite community scrape. Fun sit but no target deer.

Gave it another try Sunday with the day pics from couple days before. Carried in 1 gal ziplock bag of corn before daylight and scattered around in front of stand. Watched deer off and on till 10 a.m. when I was ready to call it a day with hot and humid air about to choke out the 2 ozonics I had running, deer were starting to get jumpy when they came in.

A old camel headed doe came in to clean up what was not left of chum pile Iíd thrown out, thought to myself when she leaves Iíll pack it up, played some stupid mindless game on my phone to pass time when I looked up she was on point.... thatís when I saw brows coming in straight down wind towards me.

Of course he stood facing me watching does feed and checking scrapes for 20+ minutes while I set with cam on knee and release on string trying to just focus on spot to shoot at 18 yards away.

Finally after 42 hrs a small buck got to close behind him and he spun to bluff him and opened up arm pit. At full draw I went through all the stupid crap I normally do, cam clear of leg, limbs, and stand. Nose on string, aim low heís close, off side leg, pick a spot, squeeze squeeze squeeze, surprise! Lighted nocked disappeared then showed again with the watermelon thump of a rage hypo hitting my ears. Deer jumped and ran 4 steps, looked back at spot where arrow was stuck in ground tries to walk and nose dived into ground.

Deer turned out to be couple years older than Iíd thought. Jaw after caping job for taxidermist.Name:  IMG_2571.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  36.9 KB

Old 10-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #119
wingnut
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County & SE Oklahoma

Congratulations on your buck and thanks for the write up! I’m always curious on the story of how somebody kills a big buck.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #120
txbowhunter15
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rotan Tx

Nice deer there and great write up. I’ll be up there again this weekend. It’s my first year in Oklahoma and it’s a learning experience from hunting all over south and west Texas. Looking forward to the challenge and learning how to hunt this area. So far the deer and bear seem nocturnal and haven’t seen anything on the hoof yet. Have good activity at night and early early morning. I am hunting feeders right now and only have cams set at feeders as we speak. Have some set up in oak patches and some along water sources. Hoping these next few weeks will bring the deer out. Good luck
txbowhunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #121
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Agree that the write up was top notch and a great read! Thanks for sharing.

The boy and I will also be back up chasing them this weekend as well. Hoping for no rain. As far as corn feeders go I think the acorns, light as they are this year, (at least on our places) would make for a very boring sit at the feeder. Our plan for the weekend is to set up adjacent to two of our seasonal creeks as this is where our oaks are located. The acorns should soon play out but while they are on the ground our best chance of tagging out is sitting in these areas or the travel corridors between bedding and hardwoods.

After getting a buck in the freezer last week Iíll be looking for a fat doe to go with him on this trip. The boy is still hunting horns (and redemption). Weíve got two more mature bucks hanging around and you never know when the camera shy mystery guest will come walking into your life! My personal best came walking through my set following a doe that had come through 45 minutes earlier. The doe was slowly eating acorns along the bank of the Little River. The buck, a 6.5 year old love struck, lip curling beast had never been on camera and Iíd never laid eyes on him before that moment. This time of the season in Push county can be magical!

Good luck to all. Be safe and pick a spot.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #122
chocolatelabs
Four Point

big cold front coming on monday. maybe moving.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #123
chocolatelabs
Four Point

anyone seeing bucks chasing does?

Probably a bit early.

Last edited by chocolatelabs; 10-23-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #124
AntlersBoy
Six Point

Little bucks are harassing them pretty hard, bucks are starting to fight a little bit. Scrapes are hot spots this time of year, fairly close to some kind of feed or bedding area even better.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #125
hybridhunternm
Six Point

Hunt In: Choctaw Cnty OK, NM

Planning on heading up Thursday through Monday next week to try this cooler weather
hybridhunternm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 11:33 PM   #126
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

[QUOTE=AntlersBoy;15180492]While Iím in the typing mood Iíll put a little story behind deer I killed because I realized I like to read the storyís on this site.

BROW TINE 8.

Great story on a great buck and the chase that ended with success.
Congratulations!
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 11:47 PM   #127
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Hunt In: Clay County Tx, Push Co Ok

First time posting this year ! Itís definitely been an interesting year thatís for sure ! I have had no time and have not been out to the property all summer or fall. It is completely untouched . All my cameras and feeders havenít been fed or touched . I have no idea what is or is not in there.

I will be hunting for the first time tomorrow and Sunday. Iím curious to see how the activity is vs years past where I have fed and ran cameras and had much more human presence/scent in the area . Honestly just happy to finally get to sit in the woods and enjoy the cool mtn air .

Great seeing all these awesome bucks taken and getting to follow along on your seasons . Congrats boonersooner and antlersboy on great deer ! Iíll be staying In Antlers if anyone is in town feel free to give me a shout . Good luck to all out hunting this weekend !
mtnbucks26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #128
Ryan81
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Whatís the average per acre price for a place in Push or Choctaw county? Myself and probably 2 others are looking to Oklahoma to possibly find a place next year.

What are the good and bad things about these areas?

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #129
bowtechtribute
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Moyers Oklahoma

Can we add latimer and le flore countys to that list ...land is much cheaper up their
Pushmataha county has some very large buck but is hunted hard

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
bowtechtribute is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #130
Ryan81
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtechtribute View Post
Can we add latimer and le flore countys to that list ...land is much cheaper up their
Pushmataha county has some very large buck but is hunted hard

Possibly. Would probably need to be the southern portion of the counties. Trying to keep our drive about 2 - 2.5 hours or less from Hopkins county.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #131
bowtechtribute
Nubbin' Buck

I agree im from hunt county so i get it

Old 10-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #132
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Ol Robert got him one with his muzzleloader. Said that joker must have been bed down on the power line. He shot him right where he stood didnt move a inch.

I didnt do so well. Scrapes are not active at all. Haven't been in a week or so. I'm sure that could change tomorrow I know its coming and will be back soon. Only saw a couple of deer. But there were dozers working the clear-cut near some of the spots I had bucks.

Last edited by arrowslinger; 10-25-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #133
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Whatís the average per acre price for a place in Push or Choctaw county? Myself and probably 2 others are looking to Oklahoma to possibly find a place next year.

What are the good and bad things about these areas?

The bad is real bad, bears,bears, locals, hillbillies and their cousins and the . Also them will kick your butt

The good is your chances at a 150+ is good. But its hard *** huntin.

Last edited by arrowslinger; 10-25-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:44 PM   #134
Ryan81
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
The bad is real bad, bears,bears, locals, hillbillies and their cousins and the . Also them will kick your butt

What would you say makes it hard hunting? Iím used to hunting North or NE Texas.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:45 PM   #135
bowtechtribute
Nubbin' Buck

You wont see as many deer and the terrian is tough on everything but when u do see a nice buck they are usually big

Old 10-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #136
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
What would you say makes it hard hunting? Iím used to hunting North or NE Texas.

The terrain alone. Have you drove thru that part of the state? The wind constantly swirls, the thermals pull your scent up and down the mountains the deer are unpredictable the acorns can be insane crops. Hunting anywhere in NE Texas is nothing like hunting in Push county. Its a love hate relationship with me up there.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #137
3whunt
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post

He ain't kidding about the bears. Hate those suckers and there are plenty in both of those counties you mentioned. Closer you get to Arkansas, those hillbillies WILL be running beagles too.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #138
txbowhunter15
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rotan Tx

I hunted this weekend and only saw squirrels. Our deer at least on camera are still moving at night. This is my first year hunting here and It is harder hunting but like anything else just gotta figure it out. I came from west Texas hunting and the deer here aren’t really coming to feeders at least not right now Like I’m used to. We have some sets in oak patches that we are trying to concentrate on but activity is still the same Witt movement at night. Hoping these next few weeks things change and they start to move more during the day.
txbowhunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 12:17 AM   #139
AntlersBoy
Six Point

Hey easy with those hillbilly comments man. Ha. It is tough hunting up here in my opinion on lease and public land, the terrain will weed most out and the lack of consistency will take out the rest. Feeders do work up here if you like bear pics and when they leave you have a bunch of mature bucks and 25 year old does standing down wind blowing at you. Good deer up here though, there are bigger deer other places but I can stay at home and kill 300Ēís in two deer almost every year.

Movement was slow this weekend, hoping this weekend is better. Deer are starting to act stupid and the normal road hunters are starting to talk about big bucks chasing.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #140
chocolatelabs
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbowhunter15 View Post
I hunted this weekend and only saw squirrels. Our deer at least on camera are still moving at night. This is my first year hunting here and It is harder hunting but like anything else just gotta figure it out. I came from west Texas hunting and the deer here arenít really coming to feeders at least not right now Like Iím used to. We have some sets in oak patches that we are trying to concentrate on but activity is still the same Witt movement at night. Hoping these next few weeks things change and they start to move more during the day.
What town are you near?
Old 10-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #141
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK

Saw a few young bucks this past weekend , was pretty slow though considering the overcast cooler weather. They were still paired up too which I thought was odd.

Our food plots are looking great after the rain

Codypatt1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #142
bowtechtribute
Nubbin' Buck

Has anybody ever hunted in red oak Oklahoma near camp creek and mountain fork?

Old 10-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #143
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whunt View Post
He ain't kidding about the bears. Hate those suckers and there are plenty in both of those counties you mentioned. Closer you get to Arkansas, those hillbillies WILL be running beagles too.
Yep. I am getting my first experience with bears on our place we bought in Latimer County. One has tore up my feeder and one of my cameras already.

Quote:
Has anybody ever hunted in red oak Oklahoma near camp creek and mountain fork?

I have some property on Panola Mountain in Latimer County just west of Red Oak. We have some bear and some really nice bucks.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #144
tbgascorer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Anyone familiar with Seminole county? My dad owns some property there and I've always wondered. It would be northern Seminole.
tbgascorer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #145
kva393
Four Point

Hunt In: Push County

Deer have mowed down both of my food plots, they are pretty much in them all night. Young bucks are starting to chase does around and bigger bucks starting to make day time appearances. a lot of ground scrapes starting to pop up as well. Next week should be good to go. Hopefully this rain hampers the "muzzle loading" season...Ö...sounds like the guys around me can reload their primitive firearms and get a second and third shot off in like 5 seconds. Pretty impressive...Ö.ha.
kva393 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #146
bowtechtribute
Nubbin' Buck

Thats one of those muzzle loader 30-30s special edition

Old 10-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #147
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Is anyone finding any acorns? There are not many on my place its looking like the white oaks are the only ones that produced this year?

Old 10-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #148
bowtechtribute
Nubbin' Buck

My place in moyers has tons of acorns lol they dont need the feeders at my place

Old 10-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #149
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
My place in moyers has tons of acorns lol they dont need the feeders at my place

Well they don't use feeders at ours either. We hung 10 feeders 4 years ago haven't put a kernel of corn in them in 2 years. Lots of trees produced last year but not this year. Witch is a good thing for us.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #150
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK

Quote:

We arenít far from you and not seeing hardly any of our oaks that produced. We had a few drop 8 weeks ago but nothing since. Food plots and corn should be good hunting.
Codypatt1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top