Axis meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis meat

I have an axis buck that I quartered up and I'm wondering what are some recommendations for cooking hindquarters or front shoulders? Any recipes you guys would like to share or any tips on cooking them are recommended. All i can think of is smoking it low and slow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Separate the large muscle groups in the hindquarter, tenderize, marinate in fajita marinade for a day or two. Then grill over a hot fire to rare or med/rare. Then put in a tortilla with some pico, avocado, queso fresco.

Comment

I agree with Cast and Blast. Seperate the muscles of the hindquarters and cut in to steaks and grill or make some jerky. The front shoulders I usually cut off the bone and grind.

There isn't enough fat in the meat for low and slow in my opinion.

Comment

Treat it like you would any meat for the grocery store. If you want fajitas, steaks, roasts, venison parm, fried backstrap, kabobs etc- then slice up the muscle groups accordingly. If you want to make burgers, spaghetti, tacos, chili, Salisbury steaks, lasagna, stuffed peppers etc- then cube it up and grind it. Agreed that front shoulders are better for grinding and hams are better for roasts/steaks.

Comment

Michael Middleton TBH youtube had a carne guisada recipe Ive wanted to try.

Comment

I guess I need to learn to do my individual cuts. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

There are some great youtube videos on breaking down a deer, check out The Bearded Butchers for starters.

Comment

Don't cook past medium rare. It's lean. It'll dry out if you overcook it. Keep it tender. Rub on some avocado oil, olive oil, and/or butter and season to your liking for steak. Grill or smoke to medium rare, let it rest a few minutes (drop a little butter on it while it's resting), and tear into it.

Comment

I'd show you some pictures but I dont have enough posts yet as we are new. First we love Axis. I get my axis done mostly 3 ways.

1. Anything that can be a "steak" cut, I get cut into 1.5" steaks.
                  2. 60% of everything left I get ground, as-is,
                  3. 30% of everything left I get put into a jalepeno-jack-cheddar summer sausage
                  4. 10% of everything left I get made into fully cooked smoked sausage/links

In regards to how I cook the steaks, I do the following:

I let them thaw out in the fridge for 3 days. Once thawed I season them with garlic powder, salt and pepper, and Lawry's seasoning and cover/tupperware dish them and leave them i the fridge for 24 hours.

To cook I get an 8" Lodge, cast iron skillet on the stove top. I add about a tablespoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of real butter and half a piece of bacon to the skillet. I bring that to almost the smoke point, super hot. I then put the filets/steaks in the pan and sear them for about 2 minutes each side, once flipped I sprinkle on a little more seasoning, I flip them one more time for about 15-30 seconds a side and sprinkle a little more if needed. After the steaks are done and removed I reduce the heat and add butter and and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté the mushrooms.

Comment

i usually will make jerky out of one hindquarter and roasts out of the other. steaks out of the backstrap and burger from everything else. the whole family eats it all up.

a roast in a slow cooker with peppers and onions with a little garlic and chili powder sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                      i usually will make jerky out of one hindquarter and roasts out of the other. steaks out of the backstrap and burger from everything else. the whole family eats it all up.

a roast in a slow cooker with peppers and onions with a little garlic and chili powder sounds good.
                      I may have to try and roast out of my next Axis --- made me hungry

Comment

Not fit to eat. What's your address and I'll haul it off for you.

Comment

I made steaks and grind everything else. We use a lot of ground meat. Everything you with ground beef you can do with Axis.

Comment

Working...
                          X