Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
jmhartt
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default What is the going rate for truck allowance?

Per month for a sales job? I generally have no idea and donít want to shoot too low. Any and all help much appreciated
jmhartt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
ctom87
Six Point
 
ctom87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Nolan County
Default

I feel like anyone I know who has said something is around the $800 mark...but that's only 2 people I can think of. I personally don't have an allowance. Good luck in your research.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
125Dad
Pope & Young
 
125Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: keller
Hunt In: Coke Co.
Default

I’m in construction business and most companies offer around 800 but if you take a company vehicle they tell you it’s worth about 1000 to 1200.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Trinity County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125Dad View Post
Iím in construction business and most companies offer around 800 but if you take a company vehicle they tell you itís worth about 1000 to 1200.
That's because the truck allowance if for the time that your personal truck is being used for work, not family time or personal errands. Company vehicle on the other hand gets used for all those things.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
PYBUCK
Ten Point
 
PYBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rankin, Tx
Hunt In: Upton County
Default

Don't settle for less than 1000 plus fuel.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

When I was consulting it was $1.25 a mile and I furnished everything. That was 4/5 years ago.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Depends on how much you drive, and how you use it. I drive too much to consider anything less than $1500. If I only drove 25-35k a year for work I’d think $800-1000 is fair.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
bowaddict40
Ten Point
 
bowaddict40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Hunt In: Navarro County
Default

We get $600 plus a gas card that we use no matter what we do. If we drive all the way across the U.S. on vacation we are not deducted for it. We don’t have to buy a truck but every 5yrs and put about 20k miles on it a year.
bowaddict40 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor
 
Antlers86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens
Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson
Default

Last ranch I worked for was $500/month plus $.60mile

I would get $1700-$2000/month
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
Chance Love
Pope & Young
 
Chance Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander, Texas
Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
That's because the truck allowance if for the time that your personal truck is being used for work, not family time or personal errands. Company vehicle on the other hand gets used for all those things.
Company vehicles are way faster, can take curbs better, do donuts better, and burn through tires way quicker than a personal vehicle.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Company vehicles are way faster, can take curbs better, do donuts better, and burn through tires way quicker than a personal vehicle.
Only thing better than 4x4 is company vehicle;-) I would not have wanted one of my dads company cars after he used it chasing rigs in the 80s ;-)
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
lilavidhunter
Ten Point
 
lilavidhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Hunt In: Richland Springs
Default

My Guys get $800-$1050 depending on the rated Highway Mileage of the Vehicle. And we pay for their fuel separately.
lilavidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #13
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young
 
Johnny Dangerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Company vehicles are way faster, can take curbs better, do donuts better, and burn through tires way quicker than a personal vehicle.
The lady at the rent a car desk: Do you want the extra insurance on the car?
Me: Yes mam this thing will get as much air time as an Evil Knievel motorcycle....

Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 04-15-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #14
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

My guys get 600 BUT also get a gas card they can use anytime or anywhere.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #15
TxAg
Pope & Young
 
TxAg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

We get company vehicles. I'm good with that. They pay every little thing associated with the vehicle.

I wouldn't want an allowance unless it was $1k/month plus gas

Last edited by TxAg; 04-15-2019 at 07:55 PM.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
RINCON
Ten Point
 
RINCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
Don't settle for less than 1000 plus fuel.
But he does want the job...
RINCON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southlake, Texas
Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties
Default

I pay 500 plus all gas plus maintenance and tires, the employee 's truck is a 2014 model, I am sure it is paid for, he seems to be happy with this arrangement.
mjhaverkamp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #18
Hockley
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default

I get $1500/month before taxes. Gets taxed like a bonus. That is for everything, I don’t expense any gas or other expenses. I personally don’t think it’s enough when you are putting 35k Miles a year on an F250.

Last edited by Hockley; 04-15-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #19
30-30
Pope & Young
 
30-30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Hopkins County
Default

Yall getting $1000+/month must be required to have a diesel that’s <5 years old...

Most of the folks I know with a truck allowance either get $500/month and a gas card, or just 55 cents a mile. But most of them drive well-used half tons.

Last edited by 30-30; 04-15-2019 at 09:50 PM.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #20
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

IRS allowance is $0.545 per business mile. That plus $500 per year for tires is what every construction sales job I had paid.

Good thing about sales is you can claim mileage to and from home so long as you make a call on the way to work and one on the way home
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #21
Ryanm
Four Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan
Default

Our company pays .58/mile up to 1500/month and .20/mile after that. I don't usually break the 1500 mark. We are not required or encouraged to drive a truck. If a truck was required, I'd want more.
Ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #22
bobby314
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Humble, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Company vehicles are way faster, can take curbs better, do donuts better, and burn through tires way quicker than a personal vehicle.
Thatís awesome!
bobby314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #23
cantexduck
Pope & Young
 
cantexduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florence,Texas/ Willamson
Hunt In: all over central Texas
Default

Have had a company truck for the last 12-13 years. They pay for everything. I claim personal mileage every quarter. I drive between 800-1100 miles a week. I wouldn’t trade my company truck for anything. Always been 4x4 extended cabs. My newest is a 2019 crew cab 4x4 eco boost. Great truck ! When we hit 150-160k miles a new one is ordered.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #24
Mike
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange, Texas
Default

I have had both and there are pros and cons to personal vs company vehicle. For the first 6 years I had a company car, Pontiac Sunfire and Pontiac Vibe. I had to pay gas and was reimbursed. I could drive it anywhere but it was a car. I kept my wife's old Suburban for my fishing/hunting rig so in reality, I had a personal car as well.

I then went to a company truck, just a standard F150 exteneded cab and it was fine. I had a gas card and they paid all expenses on the vehicle. HOWEVER, I had to have a VP's letter of approval to tow any personal trailer or boat and that was hard to come by for a while. Many of us pled ignorant if we were caught. Also, there was a 125 mile limit from our home office. You could not take it past that point or take the family on vacation in the vehicle. Also, no firearms were to be in the vehicle since they owned the truck. The guys that brown nosed the boss would get a 4x4 claiming they went to commercial construction sites or oil wells to call on customers. That company would think about putting an order in for a new truck at 160-170K miles and you would get it in 4-6 months. Also, this was a rolling bill board with decals and phone numbers at the end. When my new truck arrived, I peeled all the decals off and had some small door signs with a magnet back. Eventually many of us were reprimanded as a couple of reps got some small 2"x6" decals and used them above the F150 placard and you couldn't really tell it was a company truck.

Now I use my personal truck and get $750/month and no gas card. I really like using my own truck and not being a rolling bill board. I can blend in and not be so noticeable. I will say this, you have to have a fuel card, that is my one pet peeve with this position. I am sure there is a lot of abuse with fuel cards but I am in the hole at $750/month. We all have magnetic door placards and company policy is to remove them when you leave the gate of a plant.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #25
Acameron52
Ten Point
 
Acameron52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lewisville
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

You boys put some miles on a truck!
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #26
scotth89
Ten Point
 
scotth89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Looking yet again...
Default

$800/fuel/tires/all maintenance
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 AM   #27
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young
 
Uncle Saggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Company vehicles are way faster, can take curbs better, do donuts better, and burn through tires way quicker than a personal vehicle.


No doubt!!!! And who needs 4wd when you can use a 2wd company truck🤣
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #28
aac_shooter
Ten Point
 
aac_shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boerne, TX
Hunt In: Webb county
Default

I worked for a tire distributor and they beat us up on the allowance. it was almost 500 a month, but mileage was reimbursed from an app called Runzheimer. It was usually 16 cents a mile. It was terrible.
aac_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #29
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
Yall getting $1000+/month must be required to have a diesel thatís <5 years old...

Most of the folks I know with a truck allowance either get $500/month and a gas card, or just 55 cents a mile. But most of them drive well-used half tons.
70k miles a year on a half ton. Currently in a company truck, but have been in a personal truck for the same company, and going back to a personal truck when this one is miled out. Iím in a new truck around 120-130k whether the company is paying for it or me. When theyíre paying me itís usually considerably more than $1500.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #30
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: In camo
Default

My company gives 900 pre-tax for everything and I think 0.31 a mile. One of my competitors raised theirs to 1300 pre-tax.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #31
Smithwr
Ten Point
 
Smithwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midlothian TX
Hunt In: Vernon TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I have had both and there are pros and cons to personal vs company vehicle. For the first 6 years I had a company car, Pontiac Sunfire and Pontiac Vibe. I had to pay gas and was reimbursed. I could drive it anywhere but it was a car. I kept my wife's old Suburban for my fishing/hunting rig so in reality, I had a personal car as well.

I then went to a company truck, just a standard F150 exteneded cab and it was fine. I had a gas card and they paid all expenses on the vehicle. HOWEVER, I had to have a VP's letter of approval to tow any personal trailer or boat and that was hard to come by for a while. Many of us pled ignorant if we were caught. Also, there was a 125 mile limit from our home office. You could not take it past that point or take the family on vacation in the vehicle. Also, no firearms were to be in the vehicle since they owned the truck. The guys that brown nosed the boss would get a 4x4 claiming they went to commercial construction sites or oil wells to call on customers. That company would think about putting an order in for a new truck at 160-170K miles and you would get it in 4-6 months. Also, this was a rolling bill board with decals and phone numbers at the end. When my new truck arrived, I peeled all the decals off and had some small door signs with a magnet back. Eventually many of us were reprimanded as a couple of reps got some small 2"x6" decals and used them above the F150 placard and you couldn't really tell it was a company truck.




Now I use my personal truck and get $750/month and no gas card. I really like using my own truck and not being a rolling bill board. I can blend in and not be so noticeable. I will say this, you have to have a fuel card, that is my one pet peeve with this position. I am sure there is a lot of abuse with fuel cards but I am in the hole at $750/month. We all have magnetic door placards and company policy is to remove them when you leave the gate of a plant.
So 750/750 is a wash. So your only benefit it added maintenance and depreciation out of your pocket? I don’t know about that amigo
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #32
Mike
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithwr View Post
So 750/750 is a wash. So your only benefit it added maintenance and depreciation out of your pocket? I donít know about that amigo
I agree that it's more of a burden on me but I can now drive what I want. Additionally, there were limitations at my last workplace that I didn't like such as a 125 mile limit, constant concern when towing my trailers, a GPS tracker and the fact you could not carry a firearm in the company vehicle.

My present company had fuel cards but pulled them when oil tanked and it they have never been reinstated. We are having some reps leave recently and that is a big exit interview comment so I believe they are working on reinstating the fuel cards. They have made strides in other areas such as health insurance dropping $300 per month and that's a positive swing.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #33
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I agree that it's more of a burden on me but I can now drive what I want. Additionally, there were limitations at my last workplace that I didn't like such as a 125 mile limit, constant concern when towing my trailers, a GPS tracker and the fact you could not carry a firearm in the company vehicle.

My present company had fuel cards but pulled them when oil tanked and it they have never been reinstated. We are having some reps leave recently and that is a big exit interview comment so I believe they are working on reinstating the fuel cards. They have made strides in other areas such as health insurance dropping $300 per month and that's a positive swing.
Not having a GPS and company logo plastered on the side is HUGE. A large part of my reasoning for going back to a personal truck. Just two weeks ago I had a dependapotamus pull out in front of me and immediately come to a dead stop in a 60 MPH zone, then take off and another hard brake stop. Did that 3 times in a row trying to get me to rear ended them. When I passed they all had cameras out out and was a van full of social parasites. That coupled with a GPS tattling on me anytime I got 2-3 mph over the speed limit without realizing it is enough of a reason to want to be in my own truck again.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #34
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young
 
denimdeerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hempstead
Hunt In: Waller
Default

Ask for enough to cover truck note, insurance and normal stuff.
denimdeerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #35
JTRichardson
Ten Point
 
JTRichardson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball, Tx
Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)
Default

my current job offered $500/month for everything or mileage paid for business trips at .58/mile

Needless to say I didn't take the vehicle allowance
JTRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #36
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young
 
bowhuntertex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......
Default

I used to get $100 a day for my truck plus a company fuel card. I made a minimum of 24k per year off my truck alone.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #37
JLivi1224
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mid County
Hunt In: Public
Default

Mine is around $800.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com