PSA: Watch for bicycle riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA: Watch for bicycle riders

I have seen more on the FM and service roads than I ever have recently. My dad hit and killed two men riding bicycles when I was younger, with my sister and I in the truck. The sun was blinding and neither him or I ever saw them. Took a lot of time at the alter for both he and I to put it behind us. Please watch and keep an eye out.

Good message, sorry you and your father had to go through that Bryan

Comment

Or they could just get off of county roads going 15 in a 55 with no shoulder and no where to go. With people texting and facebooking on their phones these days, no way in hell I would ride a motorcycle, much less a bicycle on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
        Or they could just get off of county roads going 15 in a 55 with no shoulder and no where to go. With people texting and facebooking on their phones these days, no way in hell I would ride a motorcycle, much less a bicycle on the highway.

Yeah bicyclists and motorbike riders always say share the road, but they usually ride like they own the road.

Comment

There’s someone that lives near me that must have huevos the size of bowling balls because he rides 2-3 times a week in the morning before the sun is up. I’ve seen him get nearly hit countless times.

As much as I hate seeing them on the road, everyone needs to pay attention while they’re driving. Legally, they get to share the road.

Comment

There was a guy going slow on a main road in front of me the other day going like 20 below the limit. When he noticed a decent amount of cars behind him he was holding up he quit peddling the bike and hit some switch and swear to god that bike went from 10-60 in 2 seconds. That dude had some sort of sleeper bike.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
              Yeah bicyclists and motorbike riders always say share the road, but they usually ride like they own the road.
              This!

Comment

As a cyclist I'll keep my mouth shut but some of these remarks are unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                  I agree with you 100%.

Comment

Dont know why cyclist push this limit. Sure they have a legal right to the road. Hard to see- going well below traffic flow- and the vehicle will be at fault but every road cyclist knows at least a few that have lost life or quality of life but still ride the roads. The solution for me is transport bicycle and ride bicycle safe routes. And yes there are a lot of them in Texas but it may require transport to ride. Each their own - once i saw a kid get hurt doing something I didnt have to do the same to learn I wanted no part of it.
                    Ive been around enough bicycle head traumas to know I will not share the road with a vehicle.

Comment

I see those folks riding down Hwy 6 on the shoulder between Alvin and Santa Fe. There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity. More power to them though.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        The solution for me is transport bicycle and ride bicycle safe routes. And yes there are a lot of them in Texas but it may require transport to ride.
                        Glen can you give me some examples of safe routes where a cyclist can ride 50 to 100 miles for a training ride?

Comment

We had a nurse anesthetist killed riding his bike outside of College Station a couple of years ago. A person was headed north bound on the feeder off 6 and didn’t see him due to the sun or glare. Was told they were doing about 60. Sad deal. There is no way in hail I’d ride where some of these folks ride with all the impaired drivers etc etc. that’s why I gave up motorcycles.

Comment

Austin has the East side of Ladybird Lake that has a pave trail behind Kreig Field that connects to Guerro Park that ends up in Manor area. There and back is about 60 miles. Just did one in Hattisburg Ms that was 66 miles long. Not sure where you ride but if you look there are options

Looks like Benbrook Lake Trail in your area is 29 miles and change. Ride it 2-3 times.

Just google your area and plenty of resources- Call your cycle shop- ask some of your friends that ride. You ride so you know there are plenty of folks that dont ride on roadways with cars- you also know people hurt or worse Im sure. Im not saying its right but if you want to ride safely you will have to transport and be inconvenienced
                            Last edited by glen; 04-16-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                              This 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X