Protein Feeders per acre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Feeders per acre

We are in the process of purchasing 2600 acres in North Texas. I am working on developing the lease rules and want the hunters to feed protein. I do think a feeder is needed at each stand but would like some centralized feeding stations. How many acres does one free choice feeder cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 per 250 acres I think is a good start

Comment

Read Dr DeYoung's study on the Commanche. They have some really good data on the consumption of protein feed by whitetail deer. You can make a rule based on data rather than opinion.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

The best answer is as many as you can constantly keep filled. In a perfect world I would like 1 per 100 acres

Comment

What's your approx. deer densities per acre?

That will tell you alot.

I'd put as many out as I could afford, and realistically keep full, but 1 per 1/2 section would probably be ideal.

In our HF - we have a free choice feeder per about 25 adult deer...

Comment

On the Commanche?

Comment

I kept adding feed locations and more feeders to existing locations until my total feed consumption stopped increasing. That told me the deer were getting all the feed they wanted/needed, thus my feeding goals were achieved.

Not everyone has the same feed goals/objectives. Each comes with different results and costs.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                Read Dr DeYoung's study on the Commanche. They have some really good data on the consumption of protein feed by whitetail deer. You can make a rule based on data rather than opinion.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

I am seeing 300 acres per

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                  I kept adding feed locations and more feeders to existing locations until my total feed consumption stopped increasing. That told me the deer were getting all the feed they wanted/needed, thus my feeding goals were achieved.

Not everyone has the same feed goals/objectives. Each comes with different results and costs.

This is essentially what we did. 2 of us on 1160 acres. We went from 7 protein feeders to 4 this year, but we went from 3 cotton seed stations to 9. Consumption seems to have leveled off. Instead of everything being empty every 5-6 weeks, all the protein feeders were still half full and cotton seed was 2/3 gone after 6 weeks. We’ll be adding back 3 timed protein feeders in September, and have around 60-65 total deer.

Comment

Every 300 acres would give you at least 8 of them. Add more if you can afford them.

Comment

Protein Feeders per acre

Thanks for the info. I want hunters to feed protein and plan on doing an extended lease but don’t want them to have to break the bank. Cottonseed is readily available so that will be a good supplement.

Comment

Depends on if you are going to keep them filled 24/7 as well. (during the spring)

Comment

Yes will be year round

Comment

Deer density is what you should go by, followed by budget. Going by acreage is a not a great way to figure it, unless you are just using it as a minimum starting point.

Comment

We have one per 250, but some parts of the ranch have higher deer densities so those areas have an extra feeder or 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X