Public Service Announcement- selling vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Service Announcement- selling vehicles

I learned a lesson, not the hard way but I was prepared....

Sold a truck back in February to a guy from Austin ( should of been a red flag there) - not much English spoken, Mexico ID, valid address on work card of some sort...was with a guy that spoke great English....handed me $11,000 and signed the paperwork with BOS- and was off.....havent heard from him since...

Got a $100 toll bill from Auston metro regional toll authority with the plate number.....one toll alone was $7.56...have no clue where he was driving.....

Luckily the day after I sold it I mailed TXDMV the paperwork of a vehicle sale and it was noted on the title with Austin....LUCKILY

Called him and he started playing the no speaka English card with me and I said the police would be visiting him soon......

Gave Austin all the info I have on him.....

Next vehicle sale I will remove the license plates from the vehicle as part of the sale.....EVERYTIME

We have a small service company and do that any time a vehicle is sold. Pull the plates and notify Austin.

Comment

Always , always remove the plate, make a photo copy of their DL and insurance card!

Comment

I always do it on anything i've ever sold.... Last year I sold a little nissan car for my dad and didn't for some reason. The guy ran up a few hundred in tolls before I caught it.

Comment

So if your a buyer do you drive the vehicle home without a plate or how do you get a temporary?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
            So if your a buyer do you drive the vehicle home without a plate or how do you get a temporary?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              So you have to ask the seller prior to meeting with you for the Vin and then print out this and bring it with you?

Comment

Yep it don’t take but one time to learn

Comment

Good advice I’ve also learned the hard way. I would add also do this when trading into a dealership. I got a fire lane ticket on a vehicle traded in several years ago. Salespeople using it to go to lunch. Fortunately I actually worked at the Fire Marshals office at the time so I was able to clear it up but was still a pain. Yes it was ironic. Also do the same on trailers. I sold a boat and had it happen also (tolls). Fortunately new owner was great and took care of it. As mentioned, now I remove plates from everything when sold.

Comment

Sell em the truck but don’t give them any identity. No plates stickers or tags. Dry.

Comment

I had that happen on a trailer. Never leave the plate and notify the state of the sale immediately.

Comment

Yep just print out the temp tag and give it to the buyer. The plates and sticker are yours.

Comment

I sold a truck to a friend 3 years ago.
                          Took my EZtag off.

He got everything transferred over. Got his own EZ tag.
                          He's been driving the tolls for 3 years.

I get a late fee, call the EZtag folks. The lady tried to give me a lecture about transferring vehicles, after I lit into her, she looked and saw in the DMV it was done and she apologized. Everything on both of our ends are good. She said she had no idea how it happened. She wouldn't let me pay it. So he calls, and they gave him a hard time of paying it as well since it had both our accounts intertwined. Just a big heheadache. Ya never know

Comment

I had it happen too. And one time it was a TBH’er that ran up tolls. Luckily I had filled out the paperwork and I didn’t have to pay the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

been there done that..... $750 dls later having to prove, the car was sold,
                              so, yes pull plates

Comment

Working...
                              X