Hot Water - Tankless on demand vs traditional hot water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
    Need to know more about this recirculating pump??? And the timer??
    That's my wife's biggest complaint is it takes a long time for the hot to get to the kitchen, had ours put above the main bath so fine there. Is this an easy install?
    We have ours set up this way, I had it installed when we built, pretty simple setup though it requires a plumber. I added the timer myself, bought an industrial mechanical timer from eBay, although most any type would work. The only pain is that it is in the attic above the garage and if we have a power outage of 30+ minutes, or when we adjust the clocks for DST I have to adjust the timer accordingly to restore the schedule. Without a timer it would run 24/7, which I didn't want. The pump is about 13 yrs old, no issues. We just replaced the water heaters last year.

Comment

I've had both and they both have advantages. I have tankless and really like it, and on year 9.

Gas Tank heater:

Pros:

Cheaper, works without electricity, works better with "on demand"

Cons:

I only could get about 7 years out of a 40-60 gallon water heater tank before they started leaking.

set volume of hot water, so running out while in the shower while someone doing dishes, clothes, happened several times if I was last to shower.

Tankless gas:

Pros: Less space and unlimited hot water!!!

Cons: they still require 110V to ignite, so it power is out you don't have hot water unless you hook up a generator. Takes a while to get hot water to the faucet. Significant increased gas use if you make it on demand.
      Last edited by BrianL; 02-24-2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
        That's good.

Parents single 50 gallon tank is on year 38. I'm on year 19 with my 2 40 gallon tanks.

Sister went tankless and had to replace it before year 5.
        That has to be an electric, I have never got over about 8 years from a gas.

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
          Anyone using tankless with electricity (over gas - I don't have gas access).
          Propane- large tanks are your friend!

Comment

I have two tankless external wall vented Gas Water heaters. They are awesome. If I had it to over again I'd put them in the attic and vent through the roof. I had to put the shop heater on them during this artic storm we just had. It wasnt a problem otherwise. The lines slowed down and once I heated and wrapped them with insulation they were fine the whole time.
            Also another good reason to put them in the attic is that the location can be more centralized to the house. I does take a minute for the hot water to reach the longer runs to the kitchen and Laundry room. Just an FYI...

Comment

Builders don't choose to install electric water heaters. Dying breed? Natural gas tank heaters are the #1 product installed today in new construction. You can view every approved permit at City of Houston and City of Conroe if you have an account.

Tank units are barely burning gas May through September because of the Texas attic temps. Gas bills are less than $30/month for a family of 4 until the furnaces are in use during winter months.

Tankless hot water is a luxury feature, not a money saving feature. Consumer Reports even completed a study on this many years ago.
              Oh I don't doubt every tract home builder is throwing tank heaters in homes. My point is % wise everyday we move more towards tankless. I doubt think they are money savers. I do think they are space savers and unlimited hot water. They have been very reliable for me and I wouldn't own a home without one or two.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                That has to be an electric, I have never got over about 8 years from a gas.
                It's about maintenance due to your water qualities. They have to be flushed. That's why the plumbing and valve is there. Don't hold onto excessive calcium.

Comment

I've had both and they both have advantages. I have tankless and really like it, and on year 9.

Gas Tank heater:

Pros:

Cheaper, works without electricity, works better with "on demand"

Cons:

I only could get about 7 years out of a 40-60 gallon water heater tank before they started leaking.

set volume of hot water, so running out while in the shower while someone doing dishes, clothes, happened several times if I was last to shower.

Tankless gas:

Pros: Less space and unlimited hot water!!!

Cons: they still require 110V to ignite, so it power is out you don't have hot water unless you hook up a generator. Takes a while to get hot water to the faucet. Significant increased gas use if you make it on demand.
                  Doesn't take any longer than a tank heat in same spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    Doesn't take any longer than a tank heat in same spot.
                    It does take a little longer even from the same spot. Once you turn on faucet the tankless senses the flow of water, then ignites the burner, then starts heating cold water flowing thru the pipe. Cold water has been flowing thru the heater for at least 5-10 seconds before it reaches temp going thru tankless heater. I have a shop sink 3 feet from my tankless. But what I was referring to was a tank works better with on demand or instant hot recirculation.

Comment

It's about maintenance due to your water qualities. They have to be flushed. That's why the plumbing and valve is there. Don't hold onto excessive calcium.
                      Yep on this. Was told by a plumber to descale once per year!

Comment

I've never lived where hard water was an issue. My issue has always been where the tank will rust out at the bottom due to the burner and heat.

Comment

I've never lived where hard water was an issue. My issue has always been where the tank will rust out at the bottom due to the burner and heat.
                          Lubbock is horrific! Hot water heaters do not last long in that city!

Comment

Whether we’ve been lucky or what...our tankless Rennai natural gas system has worked flawlessly. The 2 hot water tanks we had prior gave me all kinds of calcium build up problems after a few years...and I got tired of dealing with it. The tankless is on its 8th year with no issues what so ever. I haven’t done one thing to it since installation. No water softener on this water. Been very impressed to say the least.

Comment

Gary! Forgot about the electric one we have at the fish camp. It’s been running strong since we built the place in 2009. Oh and I’ve never flushed any of ours and they still work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                Yep on this. Was told by a plumber to descale once per year!
                                Absolutely good advice. I begin the flush on mine 2x a year when I go up to change the air filters. Everytime I go up in a customer or friends attic I start a flush on the tanks. Probably the only time it gets done.

Like a truck/car, when you don't maintain it you will experience more issues.

I got 17 yrs out of 2 bottom of the line 12 SEER York HVAC units by maintaining and cleaning them. Meanwhile, I have customers that now hate 3 to 5 yr old Trane units when they do ZERO upkeep or maintenance.

A Lexus will crap out on you when you don't take care of it.

Tankless requires little to nothing which is part of the luxury, not efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                                X