Still Learning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Learning.

My bow hunting and shooting has suffered the last few years. My shoulders have taken a toll from poor shooting form, too much bow weigh early on, working on a crude unit with BIG valves for 27 yrs and genetics, arthritis.

The last 4 yrs I have shot less and dropped from 50 lbs to 40. When I was young and dumb I thought only sissies shot anything less than 60 lbs.

On Jan 15 of this year I had my right shoulder replaced. On April 1 I had my left shoulder replaced. On September 30 I had my second neck fusion performed.

I have been shooting a 25 lb bow for about 2 weeks. I can get my 40 lber about 2/3 of the way back.
    Hopefully I will be able to fully draw it in another week or so. The goal is to be able to draw 50 lbs by spring.

Here is what I have learned after 45 yrs of shooting.

A 40 lb bow will kill a whitetail. With that said more is better as long as you don’t hurt yourself.

Practicing with a super light bow is good even if you are in good shape. With the light bow you can very easily draw, hold, and really feel your anchor point.

Also if you can get off the string and release smoothly with a light bow doing so with a heavier one will be a piece of cake. You will visibly see a poor release in your arrow flight and shot placement.

The other thing I have learned which I’ve been troubled with over the years is that shooting a light bow is fun.

Sooner or later we will all finally wind up not being able to pull
    a hunting weight bow. But I find some comfort in knowing that I will be able to shoot in the backyard with a light weight bow and still find enjoyment in the sport that I have always loved.
    Last edited by M.E.B.; 10-18-2020, 09:00 AM.

Yes Mike we are all getting up in age and having to make necessary adjustments. You still working that shift work?

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
      Yes Mike we are all getting up in age and having to make necessary adjustments. You still working that shift work?
      I was retired a yr in Feb

Hopefully this next yr will be filled with hunting trips and not Dr visits.

You are you?
      Last edited by M.E.B.; 10-18-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Good for you on retirement. Yes it takes a while to get things tuned up and repaired after retirement. You probablyyears.

Comment

Yep. So much worn out and busted up parts I should be totaled but the docs keep me going. Just expensive and painful.[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji21]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X