Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
bow4my2
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TEXAS
Default Boot Input

Hereís what I want

Warm- 1000 insulate. Good for up to teens temperature
Light pliable sole, not a rubber boot
Waterproof
Not super heavy
At least 6-8 inch shaft height with metal not plastic eyelets
$300 or less.


Ok go and thanks
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
canny
Pope & Young
 
canny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla
Default

Schnees pac boot...done. They have a wool liner thatís removable and they can be rebuilt if you wear them out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
bowhunter_2
Eight Point
 
bowhunter_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hockley, Tx
Hunt In: Kinney Co
Default

I think the biggest thing people screw up on is getting too warm of boots or too thick of a sock and their feet sweat causing them to get colder. I know this isn't what your post is asking for but something to keep in mind.
bowhunter_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
Huntingfool
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

I use both Rocky and Wolverine - reasonably priced, comfortable, and well made
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
bow4my2
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
I think the biggest thing people screw up on is getting too warm of boots or too thick of a sock and their feet sweat causing them to get colder. I know this isn't what your post is asking for but something to keep in mind.
Indeed. I have done ever combo possible with my nasty foot. Wool socks seem to do the best for me.
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
bow4my2
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Schnees pac boot...done. They have a wool liner thatís removable and they can be rebuilt if you wear them out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Gonna look into these.
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
bow4my2
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Schnees pac boot...done. They have a wool liner thatís removable and they can be rebuilt if you wear them out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is this rubber sole and lower hold up? Thanks
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
canny
Pope & Young
 
canny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow4my2 View Post
How is this rubber sole and lower hold up? Thanks


They are very tough soles. Can withstand year after year of mountain abuse. Take care of them and they will last you a lifetime. If the soles wear out you can send them to Schnees in Montana and they will rebuild them at a fraction of the cost for a new pair.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Listening but looking for non insulated. Having a hard time spending the money on crispi, schnee, lowa etc when they have crappy warranty.
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
TxMedic
Pope & Young
 
TxMedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Georgetown
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Danner. Only boots you will ever need.
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Columbia powderhouse
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Listening but looking for non insulated. Having a hard time
spending the money on crispi, schnee, lowa etc when they have crappy warranty.
Define crappy warranty...
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Define crappy warranty...

Crispi is like a year and has some % of sole remaining clause. Lowa are a year, Schnee says they fix it but list no time. One of the others that's up there in price is only 6 months. Ive looked at them all.


IMO if Im gonna drop 300+ on a pair of boots and the sole falls off after two seasons they need to fix it. Don't tell me you make the best boot on the planet and then not stand behind it.
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
bow4my2
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
They are very tough soles. Can withstand year after year of mountain abuse. Take care of them and they will last you a lifetime. If the soles wear out you can send them to Schnees in Montana and they will rebuild them at a fraction of the cost for a new pair.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good info. Will make a call. Thanks
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #15
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Crispi is like a year and has some % of sole remaining clause. Lowa are a year, Schnee says they fix it but list no time. One of the others that's up there in price is only 6 months. Ive looked at them all.


IMO if Im gonna drop 300+ on a pair of boots and the sole falls off after two seasons they need to fix it. Don't tell me you make the best boot on the planet and then not stand behind it.
Wearing through soles isnít a warranty issue. I get about a year on any Vibram sole regardless which MFG glues it on. Hanwag, Zamberlan, lowa, schnees/Gronells, owned them all, all mountain soles last the same.

Now glue coming off is an issue assuming you didnít heat them up to dry them out
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
sotx
Ten Point
 
sotx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: McMullen County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Schnees pac boot...done. They have a wool liner thatís removable and they can be rebuilt if you wear them out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This exactly
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Wearing through soles isnít a warranty issue. I get about a year on any Vibram sole regardless which MFG glues it on. Hanwag, Zamberlan, lowa, schnees/Gronells, owned them all, all mountain soles last the same.

Now glue coming off is an issue assuming you didnít heat them up to dry them out
Im with you. Out of those which do you like best?

Going on an antelope hunt in 2020 and looking for something comfortable to walk in. But want waterproof for dew, shallow creeks etc
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
ateague11
Ten Point
 
ateague11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Taylor, TX
Hunt In: Hare, TX
Default

I have had a pair of Irish Setters for several years and love them
ateague11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #19
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Athens/Denton, Tx
Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
I think the biggest thing people screw up on is getting too warm of boots or too thick of a sock and their feet sweat causing them to get colder. I know this isn't what your post is asking for but something to keep in mind.
yep, I learned it the hard way, started using thinner dry wool socks and my feet started staying warm
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young
 
denimdeerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hempstead
Hunt In: Waller
Default

Danner
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #21
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Im with you. Out of those which do you like best?

Going on an antelope hunt in 2020 and looking for something comfortable to walk in. But want waterproof for dew, shallow creeks etc
Hanwag lasts fits ďmeĒ really well. I prefer non water proof membrane boots so I run the Yukon, W/green superfeet insoles. The waterproof lined version is the Alaskan.

I canít atleast to your feet liking or hating them but can to build quality. Between 2 pairs I have resole 6 times, I think I have another resole left on these, before leather finally wears thin.

I wear them all year. I pair them with foreverlast snake gaurd shield when antelope hunting. Cooler then my snake boots and more comfortable while walking miles

The best oh craap insurance is a tube of blk 3m 5200. Fix just about any shoe/boot related issue
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
kurt68
Ten Point
 
kurt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Hunt In: Waller Co. and Rocksprings and "H"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMedic View Post
Danner. Only boots you will ever need.
Yup!
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #23
7sdad
Ten Point
 
7sdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMedic View Post
Danner. Only boots you will ever need.
Do they still leak like they use too or did they fix that problem? I stopped wearing them several years ago after buying two pair that leaked on day one.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #24
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young
 
HoustonHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Conroe, TX
Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties
Default

Lowa Renegades.

Put a few hundred miles on them this summer then took them to WY for an elk hunt and they’ve held up great. We walked in snow most of the time there, even stepped into a creek, and my feet were always warm and dry with a wool sock and a liner.
HoustonHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #25
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow4my2 View Post
How is this rubber sole and lower hold up? Thanks
Schnees and Kennetek pac boots are second to none, but pretty much over kill south of the panhandle. Riding feedlot pens in Jan they are the only thing that works but the get toasty hiking. The bottoms are rebuildable. They do flex a lot but not as much as say Sorelís do
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #26
Trevor73402
Eight Point
 
Trevor73402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern OK
Default

Texans42 has given some good info.
The best thing I ever did for my feet was to stop buying boots at “hunting” stores. Look at what boots are being worn by mountain trekkers, packers, hikers, climbers. Most of them don’t wear anything from Cabelas or BP.
Everyone’s foot is different. What I consider to be a great boot, may not fit you very well at all. I’ve found that most all of the Lowa boots fit my foot well. I have 4 different pairs depending on what terrain I’m in. I throw in a pair of the blue superfeet and I’m good for miles. For colder temps, I wear the same boots, but I’ll add a silk liner sock and a wool/smart wool sock over it.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #27
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Hanwag lasts fits “me” really well. I prefer non water proof membrane boots so I run the Yukon, W/green superfeet insoles. The waterproof lined version is the Alaskan.

I can’t atleast to your feet liking or hating them but can to build quality. Between 2 pairs I have resole 6 times, I think I have another resole left on these, before leather finally wears thin.

I wear them all year. I pair them with foreverlast snake gaurd shield when antelope hunting. Cooler then my snake boots and more comfortable while walking miles

The best oh craap insurance is a tube of blk 3m 5200. Fix just about any shoe/boot related issue
preciate the feedback!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Texans42 has given some good info.
The best thing I ever did for my feet was to stop buying boots at “hunting” stores. Look at what boots are being worn by mountain trekkers, packers, hikers, climbers. Most of them don’t wear anything from Cabelas or BP.
Everyone’s foot is different. What I consider to be a great boot, may not fit you very well at all. I’ve found that most all of the Lowa boots fit my foot well. I have 4 different pairs depending on what terrain I’m in. I throw in a pair of the blue superfeet and I’m good for miles. For colder temps, I wear the same boots, but I’ll add a silk liner sock and a wool/smart wool sock over it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
Do they still leak like they use too or did they fix that problem? I stopped wearing them several years ago after buying two pair that leaked on day one.

Kinda where Im at on danners. Ive had 5 or 6 pairs. 2 hunting boots. One of which I still wear. However, they are strictly a hunting boot for cold weather and get wore maybe 10 times a year. They are stored inside when not on my feet. Seams are coming apart already and they aint that old. And forget hiking any distance in them

The other danner boots I wore on patrol 40+ hours a week. The only boot they made that last was the acadia.

Ive since switched to merell for work and been very happy

Im ready for something with a little quality than danner which like Trevor said aint at Bass pro


Crispis and schnees are the front runners for me at the moment

Last edited by Quackerbox; 11-12-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #28
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
Do they still leak like they use too or did they fix that problem? I stopped wearing them several years ago after buying two pair that leaked on day one.
And fall apart under 200 miles!!!

I will never understand the love for their Chinese junk. Portland hipster culture has destroyed that company
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #29
7sdad
Ten Point
 
7sdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Default

Look at Salewa Boots they have a 100% blister guarantee. That is all I've worn in the mountains the past two years and wear them to work nearly all the time. I have the Salewa Mountain Trainers.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #30
rut-ro
Ten Point
 
rut-ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sugar Land
Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
Lowa Renegades.

Put a few hundred miles on them this summer then took them to WY for an elk hunt and theyíve held up great. We walked in snow most of the time there, even stepped into a creek, and my feet were always warm and dry with a wool sock and a liner.
Tried these on yesterday after owning my Lowa Zypher for years. Broke 2 lace rings on 2 different boots. Ended up with a soloman boot. They feel pretty good. Iíll report back in a year.
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #31
tdwinklr
Ten Point
 
tdwinklr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Leonard, TX
Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
yep, I learned it the hard way, started using thinner dry wool socks and my feet started staying warm
Same here. Used to wear 2 pair of socks, feet always got cold. I didn't believe at first but when I wised up, went to boots not over 400 insulation and 1 pair thin to-the-knee socks that contained NO COTTON but rather a mixture of synthetic material and a little wool. Feet have never been cold since.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #32
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Athens/Denton, Tx
Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County
Default

Yeah crazy how that works, itís all science basically, you put yourself in a very small compact room with no insulation youíre going to sweat with any layers on , even if itís 10ídegrees outside, once I saw the issue and fixed it I never worry about the feet anymore


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #33
bow4my2
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TEXAS
Default

great test that was done with Bear Grylles on how keeping the core warm helps with hands and feet, good thing to google.
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #34
GARY
Administrator
 
GARY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMedic View Post
Danner. Only boots you will ever need.

What I have and been happy with hunting in Alberta.
__________________
Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #35
canny
Pope & Young
 
canny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Schnees and Kennetek pac boots are second to none, but pretty much over kill south of the panhandle. Riding feedlot pens in Jan they are the only thing that works but the get toasty hiking. The bottoms are rebuildable. They do flex a lot but not as much as say Sorelís do


Absolutely but the guide series is uninsulated which I prefer as I have good merino socks. They work well throughout TX.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #36
texan4ut
Ten Point
 
texan4ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Round Rock, TX
Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County
Default

I have a pair of Wolverines I got at Academy on sale $89.95. Granted I am not climbing the Rocky Mountains or in really cold temps, they keep my feet warm, comfortable. Kind of clunky but so am I LOL. Best $89.95 I ever spent.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #37
bow4my2
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Absolutely but the guide series is uninsulated which I prefer as I have good merino socks. They work well throughout TX.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is why I ask, very versatile. I was in the hills of southern ohio at 18 degrees and would have liked something else. Elk hunt in the future and being able to wear thin socks if its not to cold is nice.
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #38
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow4my2 View Post
This is why I ask, very versatile. I was in the hills of southern ohio at 18 degrees and would have liked something else. Elk hunt in the future and being able to wear thin socks if its not to cold is nice.
What month are you wanting to hunt elk?
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #39
canny
Pope & Young
 
canny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow4my2 View Post
This is why I ask, very versatile. I was in the hills of southern ohio at 18 degrees and would have liked something else. Elk hunt in the future and being able to wear thin socks if its not to cold is nice.


Me personally, I would go with the guide series uninsulated and invest in quality merino wool socks such as Smartwool plus a wicking liner.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #40
legolas
Eight Point
 
legolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Santo
Hunt In: Colorado, New Mexico, Here
Default

Kennatrex!!!
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #41
bow4my2
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
What month are you wanting to hunt elk?
october next year
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #42
Tony Pic
Pope & Young
 
Tony Pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYS and Texas
Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper
Default

Lacrosse Alpha Burly.
I have bought a lot of boots and have destoyed many a boot on a cactus kick in the dark. These boots hold up on the Texas coliche as well as the NY winters.
They get my money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lacrosse-Al...EAAOSw7N5dMEIb
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #43
Tx_bowhunter86
Ten Point
 
Tx_bowhunter86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sulphur springs
Hunt In: Northeast tx
Default

Irish setter elk tracker 600gram was my choice. $239+tax lace up so far 28 degrees and feet was warm after 4 hour sit I could move my toes and only fill a slight difference in temp. Walking around feet stay warm completely


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tx_bowhunter86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #44
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow4my2 View Post
october next year
I just donít think you will be happy hiking in the mountains in a pack boot. Not near the same support and they donít breath as well as all Leather boot or even Waterproof lined boot.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com