Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #51
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureagg View Post
Because everyone wants the heart shot. We have become so custom to having sub-moa or sub-half moa rifles thats what we want in our hunting ammo. Because how confident does it make people feel when they are printing clover leafs at 100 yards the week before they go hunt. Hornady has done a great job designing the accuracy of this ammo, but it just doesn't suit our purpose here in Texas 90% of the time.

The ELDX shoots lights out for my rifle, but after going through 2 deer and only finding shrapnel I won't be using them again.

I understand, but that’s why we don’t use target bullets for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #52
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

I've only ever used Hornady A-Max 105gr in my 6mm. Kills the heck out of deer and hogs. Always get an exit wound and plenty of damage
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #53
freerhunter16
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freer, TX

We have shot the 140gr. Federal Fusion with fantastic results. Good exit wounds on everything we have shot.
freerhunter16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #54
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Any soft point non premium bullet will work fine for deer. If I was getting pass throughs with no blood trail I would switch bullets. Sounds like it isn't being driven fast enough to expand in the deer. Backed up by reports here of excellent performance in the faster rounds.
Core lokt, interlock, game king, or ballistic tip are all you need. Not varmint or target. Don't even need partitions, though nobody can argue with their performance. Don't need to spend $1.00 each for raw bullets.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #55
TxLonghorn
Spike

The 143 imo was designed for 26 nosler and other hotter 6.5. The creed just doesn’t get the velocity up. Most people with creeds have moved to 130-140 eld m for thinner jackets and better expansion.

I used a 143 for some deer and hogs was not impressed.
TxLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #56
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tejas

At 60 yards with a 24-26" barrel the ELD-X is moving too fast still. I know they state they'll expand at close ranges but that's just too close to get the bullet to open up like we want on Texas whitetails.

The 6.5 at its base is an efficient & hot load when compared to a lot of other common rounds (.308, 30-06) and taking point blank range shots on soft game its just zipping right through them or it's hitting hard areas (ie. shoulders) and not holding together and fragmenting all to hell. Hence why others that are shooting heavier/thicker game are seeing better trails & results.

If you back the shots up even 50-100 yards I'd be willing the bet your trails would be better. If you only plan on taking shots that short a soft point ammo is just the ticket as others have stated as being pinpoint accurate isn't that necessary at those ranges.

Theres not one load/bullet type thats perfect for every scenario. Some excel in some areas and ranges much more than others and you have to decide whats most important and select based upon those parameters.
Side Note: I'm still trying to get my step-dad to understand this and he's killed about 4,000 deer in his life lol.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-22-2019 at 11:05 AM.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #57
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

I’ve had the exact opposite issue shooting the 143 eld-x out of a 6.5

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #58
JLC77
Ten Point

I have had really good results from the eldx 143. Just my experience
JLC77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #59
jstamps50
Four Point

Hunt In: Cooke County TX/New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureagg View Post
Here are my thoughts on the ELDX and from my experience. I had heard great things about them. So my dad and I both used them. His in 6.5cm mine in 308. We both shot deer last year. Mine at 120 yards his at 20 yards. Neither of us had exits. Both deer dropped in tracks. I have shot multiple pigs and big pigs 200+lb ones that they have dropped in their tracks. But never any blood that would’ve been trackable.

These bullets hit HARD. But you better hope that the animal does not run or you are in trouble.

These were initially designed for long range hunting 150yards plus from a hornady rep I met.

You're exactly right. I've had the same experiences. They're not designed for close Texas white tail

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
jstamps50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #60
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
At 60 yards with a 24-26" barrel the ELD-X is moving too fast still. I know they state they'll expand at close ranges but that's just too close to get the bullet to open up like we want on Texas whitetails.

The 6.5 at its base is an efficient & hot load when compared to a lot of other common rounds (.308, 30-06) and taking point blank range shots on soft game its just zipping right through them or it's hitting hard areas (ie. shoulders) and not holding together and fragmenting all to hell. Hence why others that are shooting heavier/thicker game are seeing better trails & results.

If you back the shots up even 50-100 yards I'd be willing the bet your trails would be better. If you only plan on taking shots that short a soft point ammo is just the ticket as others have stated as being pinpoint accurate isn't that necessary at those ranges.

Theres not one load/bullet type thats perfect for every scenario. Some excel in some areas and ranges much more than others and you have to decide whats most important and select based upon those parameters.
Side Note: I'm still trying to get my step-dad to understand this and he's killed about 4,000 deer in his life lol.

The two deer my daughters shot this weekend weighed 200 and 225 lbs. They were both shot at 140 yds straight through the middle of the shoulder as can be seen in the picture of the 10 pt which is the EXIT hole. Both bullets performed the exact same way, dead deer that ran about 25-40 yds without a blood trail. The other 6-8 deer we have shot with them have performed basically identical. For a bullet to not perform in those scenarios is not a good hunting bullet which is why i posed the question of what others have used that has performed well. I will be going to a tried and true core loct or a ballistic tip. They did not seem to stock much selection previously which is why we have been using these.
deep n the heat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #61
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep n the heat View Post
The two deer my daughters shot this weekend weighed 200 and 225 lbs. They were both shot at 140 yds straight through the middle of the shoulder as can be seen in the picture of the 10 pt which is the EXIT hole. Both bullets performed the exact same way, dead deer that ran about 25-40 yds without a blood trail. The other 6-8 deer we have shot with them have performed basically identical. For a bullet to not perform in those scenarios is not a good hunting bullet which is why i posed the question of what others have used that has performed well. I will be going to a tried and true core loct or a ballistic tip. They did not seem to stock much selection previously which is why we have been using these.
Y’all have killed 8-10 deer that died inside 40yds, and the bullet is not performing up to your standards? What are you wanting?
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #62
deep n the heat
Ten Point

I’m worried about when they do not put a perfect shot on one and you have to trail one with no blood trail.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #63
McClain
Ten Point

I have had the same issue (bullet blow up with no exit wound or blood trail) with VLD bullets in a 6.5-284 at various ranges. Have had limited use, but good luck, with Barnes TSX in other calibers and think maybe that would be a good choice for high velocity cartridges like the 6.5-284. Any thoughts/experience with the TSX or TTSX in 6.5?
McClain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #64
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Quote:
The deer was broad side at 60 yds.
Quote:
They were both shot at 140 yds

Quote:
The two deer my daughters shot this weekend weighed 200 and 225 lbs. They were both shot at 140 yds straight through the middle of the shoulder as can be seen in the picture of the 10 pt which is the EXIT hole. Both bullets performed the exact same way, dead deer that ran about 25-40 yds without a blood trail. The other 6-8 deer we have shot with them have performed basically identical. For a bullet to not perform in those scenarios is not a good hunting bullet which is why I posed the question of what others have used that has performed well. I will be going to a tried and true core-loct or a ballistic tip. They did not seem to stock much selection previously which is why we have been using these.
Just to clarify, the deer in the pics in the OP are 200 and 225?
Sounds like you know what you want already, I just wouldn't expect them to shoot as well on paper as the ELD-X.
I don't shoot 6.5's myself but do use the ELD-X and have had great results personally. Obviously, different calibers aren't apples-to-apples.

If all you're wanting is a big exit hole just bring more gun, a 7mag with Nosler Parts work great for that lol.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-22-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #65
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Quote:

Just to clarify, the deer in the pics in the OP are 200 and 225?
Sounds like you know what you want already, I just wouldn't expect them to shoot as well on paper as the ELD-X.
I don't shoot 6.5's myself but do use the ELD-X and have had great results personally. Obviously, different calibers aren't apples-to-apples.

If all you're wanting is a big exit hole just bring more gun, a 7mag with Nosler Parts work great for that lol.
The deer with the big wound was a deer last year and that was the entrance hole from the shot the first day she shot it. He came back the next day barely hurting and she killed him the second time. It was a hill country deer.

They killed the other deer and one more that weighed 200 and 225 last weekend where the small hole in his shoulder is the exit.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #66
geezer56
Six Point

Hunt In: Georgia

I don't like the ELD-X. I hunt with a Creedmoor, I have found that they either dropped like a rock or run like a turkey. Try the Hornady full boar ammo with the solid copper bullet. That stuff is fantastic.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #67
TxAg
Pope & Young

Half the guys are saying the bullet is too tough for a whitetail. Half the guys are saying it's too fragile and blowing up.

So which is it?
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #68
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Half the guys are saying the bullet is too tough for a whitetail. Half the guys are saying it's too fragile and blowing up.

So which is it?
Yes, No, & maybe and all of the above lol.

It's probably not that it's too tough or not.

If a bullet zips through without expansion it creates narrow temporary and permanent wound cavities or it hits something hard (like bone) and the bullet fragments to pieces.
Both of these scenarios result in a less than desirable blood trail for tracking purposes.

Both of those scenarios among other things can be caused by a bullet moving too fast and/or not being presented with enough resistance to make it mushroom.

There's lots of variables involved into whether given bullet will expand, expansion shape, expansion amount, and how it flies. Including material makeup, construction, velocity@impact, density of matter@impact, among other things.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-22-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #69
lordvader
Four Point

Hornady interlocks, Winchester power points, and one with a federal blue box special. calibers used were/are 243, 270, 30 06. IMO, premium bullets are a waste of money, for deer hunting. Most of the deer we've killed have dropped on the spot, the ones that didn't, traveled no more than 30 to 40 yards. The 30 06 and the 243 have been our biggest killers. The one kill was with a 270 using Federal 130's. Doe dropped on the spot. Shot placement is key to a good kill. As I said, I don't use premium bullets, and I still kill deer. Good luck and good hunting.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #70
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Hornady interlocks, Winchester power points, and one with a federal blue box special. calibers used were/are 243, 270, 30 06. IMO, premium bullets are a waste of money, for deer hunting. Most of the deer we've killed have dropped on the spot, the ones that didn't, traveled no more than 30 to 40 yards. The 30 06 and the 243 have been our biggest killers. The one kill was with a 270 using Federal 130's. Doe dropped on the spot. Shot placement is key to a good kill. As I said, I don't use premium bullets, and I still kill deer. Good luck and good hunting.
Shot anything from 450 yards with a .243 with Winchester power points?
We could sit in a box blind over a corn feeder 50 yards away and shoot deer with a open sight 30-30. Does that make your above gear a waste of money?
Point is not every hunting situation is the same.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #71
double bogey
Ten Point

O.P. Are you handloading for the girls? Any chance you are downloading a bit for them? Looking at the Hornady literature it looks like the designed a tipped interlock.
Seems like the no expansion would be driven kinda slow, and the exploding bullets that don't exit are driven very fast.
I have not used this bullet, but I have killed a lot of deer with interlock bullets in .243, .270, 7mm mag, and 300 win mag. Never had an interlock stay in a deer in these calibers. The only deer I have had run any distance was with the .300 winmag, so go figure that. With all of these I have used bullets on the lighter end of the spectrum, except .243 which was 100 gr. 130 gr .270, 139 gr 7 mag, and 150 gr .300 mag.

I bet if you back down to the 125 gr range with these bullets in the 6.5, you will get different results from pushing the bullet faster.
Good luck
Old 10-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #72
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
O.P. Are you handloading for the girls? Any chance you are downloading a bit for them? Looking at the Hornady literature it looks like the designed a tipped interlock.
Seems like the no expansion would be driven kinda slow, and the exploding bullets that don't exit are driven very fast.
I have not used this bullet, but I have killed a lot of deer with interlock bullets in .243, .270, 7mm mag, and 300 win mag. Never had an interlock stay in a deer in these calibers. The only deer I have had run any distance was with the .300 winmag, so go figure that. With all of these I have used bullets on the lighter end of the spectrum, except .243 which was 100 gr. 130 gr .270, 139 gr 7 mag, and 150 gr .300 mag.

I bet if you back down to the 125 gr range with these bullets in the 6.5, you will get different results from pushing the bullet faster.
Good luck
These are the factory black box Hornady. I believe the box says they are around 2950fps.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #73
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

Well, this makes me a little uneasy. My son shoots a 7mm08 and the 150gr ELD-X shoot really well out of it. Hmmmm....
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #74
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
These are the factory black box Hornady. I believe the box says they are around 2950fps.
The Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor eld-x 143 gr are listed at 2700 fps mv
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #75
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Had great success with them.

Pass through is a trade off for internal damage... and I strongly prefer the latter.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #76
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:

Check out the Hornady interlock bullets. They are outstanding and produce great blood trails. Wish I still had the pic from a doe I shot at 325 yards. Pass through and exit was the size of a softball but that was a 308. 6.5 shouldn’t be that much different.

Sierracharlie out…
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #77
double bogey
Ten Point

I used to shoot the Hornady custom 139 gr interlock. I think they are equivalent to the American hunter today, but not sure. Every deer I shot with that bullet was within 10' of where he was when the bullet hit. At least 2" exit wounds in all, lots larger if it hit a rib going in. That was in 7mm mag. Box said 3150 fps, didn't go that fast in my gun, more like 3025 fps. I couldn't get a 139gr bullet that fast with any powder in that rifle, but it would shoot lights out.

Still a fan of the interlock bullet.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #78
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

That’s 6.5 prc numbers and should fat smoke them.

Shot 110 eldx out of a 257 weatherby (factory ammo at 3250fps). Nothing took a step, one hog did a 180 when hit and dropped.

Quote:
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #79
dirtybay
Nubbin' Buck

I'm trying 140 gr soft point. Federal nontypical this year. I'll post results.
dirtybay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #80
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Been shooting the 143 ELDX out of my 260ai since they came out. Haven’t had any issues with them with big internal damage on distances from 75yrds-250yrds. Hydrostatic shock is massive with these bullets, none of the animals I have taken have made it far.

I used to shoot the SST out of my 308 and 7mm rem mag. What I learned (esp with the 7mm mag) was the bullet fragments quickly at close distances, rarely exits, and often has jacket separation leaving everything under the offside hide. Lack of a blood trail was common if the animal wasn’t DRT, but Nothing ever made it more than 40yrds. If anything did exit it was only the core, making it look like the bullet didn’t expand.

The ELDX is essentially the same as the SST with a different tip. Knowing it’s limitations, I was confident in high shoulder shots and neck shots for DRT performance. Behind the shoulder shots are only reserved for longer shots, and all have left good blood trails. Internal damage has always been massive in my experience.

If you consider the bullet expands down to 1600 FPS, I highly doubt you’re experiencing failure to expand at close distances; these were designed as long range bullets. I think what is happening with the closer range shots is your bullet is fragmenting very quickly causing either a lack of exit or just the core is exiting making it look like a small exit. When the bullet stays together at 150-250+yrd shots you should easily have golf ball sized exits, sometimes a bit bigger.

If you’re wanting something with an exit every time and possibly a little longer track, stick with common cup and core bullets like others have mentioned.

stxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #81
duckhunter175
Four Point

Quote:

The 6.5cm is not at all a 'hot load' especially when compared to the .308 or 30/06--- most of the factory ammo out there shares a similar muzzle velocity around 2600-2700fps or the .30s are running a little bit hotter loaded down with lighter bullets.

BC doesn't really come into play until you are a few hundred yards down range.

I would agree that with the heavier construction of the ELDX it would likely not expand the way you want if you don't hit something heavier like the hide of a hog or deer ribs/shoulder.

BUT- at 60 yards they aren't going fast enough to fragment all to hell. They're actually going to be at about the perfect velocity for terminal performance they just might be a tag too tough for deer down here.

Which is why some many guys are saying step down to the ELDM/Amax or even just go to an old cup and core bullet because either of those will do what you want for expansion and terminal performance on thin skinned game... AND the CM won't run them anywhere near hot enough to fragment or blow up on the skin.
duckhunter175 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #82
duckhunter175
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

The ELDX is not a target bullet.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:11 PM   #83
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Game king.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #84
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I’m 100% comfortable whacking any and all animals with these bullets, as such, for anyone doesn’t feel the same. I will gladly take them.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #85
Rhettsker
Four Point

My limited experience with eldx has been mixed. While they are very accurate, their on game performance has been mixed for me. I will be able to test them out more thoroughly when I return to Africa on a cull hunt next year.
Rhettsker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #86
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhunter175 View Post
The 6.5cm is not at all a 'hot load' especially when compared to the .308 or 30/06--- most of the factory ammo out there shares a similar muzzle velocity around 2600-2700fps or the .30s are running a little bit hotter loaded down with lighter bullets.

BC doesn't really come into play until you are a few hundred yards down range.

I would agree that with the heavier construction of the ELDX it would likely not expand the way you want if you don't hit something heavier like the hide of a hog or deer ribs/shoulder.

BUT- at 60 yards they aren't going fast enough to fragment all to hell. They're actually going to be at about the perfect velocity for terminal performance they just might be a tag too tough for deer down here.

Which is why some many guys are saying step down to the ELDM/Amax or even just go to an old cup and core bullet because either of those will do what you want for expansion and terminal performance on thin skinned game... AND the CM won't run them anywhere near hot enough to fragment or blow up on the skin.
6.5CM is a hotter load as it relates to throat erosion and barrel life when compared to 308. Velocities are close, yes, but you're pushing it through a smaller bore. Obviously this is one of the reasons it's more efficient.

Look around a little, folks are definitely experiencing bullet integrity issues on some of these short shots. I believe Hornady has even said that the bullets may not expand properly at very short ranges.
OP isn't happy with the performance and without looking at the carcasses and/or recovering the bullets its pretty hard to know exactly what happened.
He also said he was shooting 200-225 pound deer which are actually some pretty good sized deer. I personally love the ELD-x and will continue to use it.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-25-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #87
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Also happy with the 143 and can add a friend who has a gun shop sells a crap ton of them and the American whitetail to the point that's 2 of the 3 loads he carries.

Average size east texas doe at about 70 yards

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #88
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
6.5CM is a hotter load as it relates to throat erosion and barrel life when compared to 308. Velocities are close, yes, but you're pushing it through a smaller bore. Obviously this is one of the reasons it's more efficient.

Look around a little, folks are definitely experiencing bullet integrity issues on some of these short shots. I believe Hornady has even said that the bullets may not expand properly at very short ranges.

Calling it a “hotter load” is a bit of a misnomer but the explanation of heat created in the throat due to a smaller bore and the same amount of powder as a 308 hit the nail on the head. This is a good article about it. . .

http://dmr-llc.com/?p=246

I’m gonna try to find an article I saw from Hornady about bullet speed and performance in relation to these newer projectiles but basically it outlined a speed window to get the best performance out of the different projectiles. Extremely close shots were not part of that window for some of the projectiles.

Sierracharlie out…
Old 10-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #89
Rhettsker
Four Point

The bullet I have been most impressed with the last few years is the federal premium trophy copper. With a high shoulder shot placement, that bullet has been outstanding. Might give that a try if the eldx is not working for you.
R
Rhettsker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #90
duckhunter175
Four Point

Quote:

OP isn't happy with the performance and without looking at the carcasses and/or recovering the bullets its pretty hard to know exactly what happened.
He also said he was shooting 200-225 pound deer which are actually some pretty good sized deer. I personally love the ELD-x and will continue to use it.

Neither of which have ANYTHING to do with terminal performance. So to claim it’s a “hot load” in reference to bullet performance is a nonstarter.

And if he’s having terminal performance issues with that bullet at that velocity on game that size then it’s likely more a placement issue than a bullet issue.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #91
ShawnG
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Callahan County

I use them and honestly have never had to track an animal. Pigs, deer and axis all dropped.
ShawnG is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #92
duckhunter175
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Calling it a “hotter load” is a bit of a misnomer but the explanation of heat created in the throat due to a smaller bore and the same amount of powder as a 308 hit the nail on the head. This is a good article about it. . .

http://dmr-llc.com/?p=246

I’m gonna try to find an article I saw from Hornady about bullet speed and performance in relation to these newer projectiles but basically it outlined a speed window to get the best performance out of the different projectiles. Extremely close shots were not part of that window for some of the projectiles.

Sierracharlie out…
I’d be willing to bet the performance window for the 143 ELDX is well within 6.5cm velocities at the OP shot ranges.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #93
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Default 143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Quote:
I’d be willing to bet the performance window for the 143 ELDX is well within 6.5cm velocities at the OP shot ranges.

60 yards may have been on the edge iirc. But I’m not certain and don’t want to say that is fact. I’m still looking for that dam thing!

Again these were “recommended ranges” not “if you are out of this window of range it won’t work”. You seem to have a fairly good understanding of firearms ballistics so you know as well as I do that bullets sometimes just do strange things.

Sierracharlie out…

Last edited by sierracharlie338; 10-26-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #94
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Quote:

We have shot deer from 60-150 yds. They have all performed about the same except the first shot at 60 which was the big wound and no penetration. The only thing I can possibly think is it hit something in front and tumbled. The rest of the deer that have been shot directly in the shoulder do slot of internal damage but yield very small exit holes and very little blood. I’ve killed slot of deer with soft points to ballistic tips in other calibers that do just as much internal damage but leave big holes and slot of blood. That is why I’m going to switch bullets.

Thanks for all of the replies
Old 10-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #95
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
We have shot deer from 60-150 yds. They have all performed about the same except the first shot at 60 which was the big wound and no penetration. The only thing I can possibly think is it hit something in front and tumbled. The rest of the deer that have been shot directly in the shoulder do slot of internal damage but yield very small exit holes and very little blood. I’ve killed slot of deer with soft points to ballistic tips in other calibers that do just as much internal damage but leave big holes and slot of blood. That is why I’m going to switch bullets.

Thanks for all of the replies

With that range window, you should be fine. Hard to say without any necropsy info to examine.

Sierracharlie out…
Old 10-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #96
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

I shoot the 129 sst and have been happy.
Shot several bucks with the 147 eldx and had good results. Shot one quartered away hard. Hit behind shoulder and exited at the base of the neck. 230 yards. Watched the blood pumping out as he staggered about 20 yards and piled up. Hits hard but I’ve been happy with the SST’s lately.
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #97
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Inside 200 yards and 6.5 creed velocity it's hard to beat a 130 -140 grain soft point. Remington and federal bother make 140 grain soft points, Federal also has the 140 grain fusion ammo. Winchester has 125 grain soft point.

The top deer looks like it was hit on the leading edge of the shoulder, not quite forward enough for neck and not quite high enough for back bone. It is also forward of the heart and lungs so unless you hit an artery there wouldn't be much blood. The area where the wind pipe meets the lungs was probably like mush but being high up it would take a while to fill up with blood. The second deer if that is the exit where was the entrance? If it was straight through both shoulders it should have hit the ground and only pushed it's way 25 yards or so. That is where I shoot all my deer and they very seldom take a step, if they do they just bulldoze about 10-15 yards.

Last edited by Capt.Bryan; 10-26-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #98
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
Inside 200 yards and 6.5 creed velocity it's hard to beat a 130 -140 grain soft point. Remington and federal bother make 140 grain soft points, Federal also has the 140 grain fusion ammo. Winchester has 125 grain soft point.

The top deer looks like it was hit on the leading edge of the shoulder, not quite forward enough for neck and not quite high enough for back bone. It is also forward of the heart and lungs so unless you hit an artery there wouldn't be much blood. The area where the wind pipe meets the lungs was probably like mush but being high up it would take a while to fill up with blood. The second deer if that is the exit where was the entrance? If it was straight through both shoulders it should have hit the ground and only pushed it's way 25 yards or so. That is where I shoot all my deer and they very seldom take a step, if they do they just bulldoze about 10-15 yards.

The hole you see in the first deer was shot 24hrs before. It was barely limping when it came back to where she shot it the second time.

Second deer was shot in the same place on the opposite shoulder.

Here is the deer my other daughter shot last weekend. Same shot.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #99
chrisk
Ten Point

I killed one with core lokts last year with my old Creedmoor. I now have a Ruger m77 with a 28” barrel. It shoots the Remingtons ok. I hand loaded some 140 grain Accubonds and might try them out this year.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #100
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

I killed 3 doe yesterday afternoon with the 6.5 with 143 grain eld-x. The first 2 at 265 and 295 yards dropped in their tracks. The last was shot at 731yds and only went 40 yards. My buddy shot one at 400 yds that went 50 yards with a blown shoulder. His 15 year old son shot one at 675 yds that went approximately 50 yds. Incredible damage from this round with large exit wounds
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top