Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
phoneman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lipan, Tx
Default Investing

I have been in the market 2 years now. Im up 4% which is horrible. I have found my problem is that i don't know when to sale. My strategy is buy and hold good companies, w good balance sheets. The only thing is I hold to long and let all my gains evaporate. Is there anyone on the green screen that has good experience, that would like to share their knowledge?
phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

you could try selling or sailing
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

I have found it is a lot easier to have someone with the knowledge manage my portfolio. Can I buy then Houston Astros? Do I have a lot more in there than I have contributed? Yes.
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
phoneman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
you could try selling or sailing
Selling, sale, sail, they're, their, there. Lol
Sorry

Any input on the title?
Old 08-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
phoneman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
I have found it is a lot easier to have someone with the knowledge manage my portfolio. Can I buy then Houston Astros? Do I have a lot more in there than I have contributed? Yes.
Have they helped you alot?
Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

In my experience if you aren’t knowledgeable and active, day trading isn’t for you. Better off with mutual funds, etc

I tried and made a little, lost some more because I was too passive about it and it barely made me any money. I’d rather pay someone smarter than me to handle it for me. I went from 5-7% when I did it to average of about 12% when I let a pro handle it for me. Worth the 1% he charges
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
MRWHITE87
Six Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co

Ditch stocks and go crypto. look at any of the top 10 of them 2 years ago.. daily volatility should be ignored especially when you're long term HODLING anyway. #XRPTHESTANDARD haha
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Hire a professional, like Edward jones type company. But do your research find someone that has your core values and is like minded or it will never work. You have to have some level of trust in the person your investing with.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
trash2
Six Point

2 years investing and talking about holding too long is where you're going terribly wrong.
trash2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

If trading were easy we would all be millionaires.

I bought Amazon at $80 and Apple at $42 and still hold those stocks. Unfortunately I was right out of college and didn’t buy enough.

I also bought bank stocks that went belly up.

Since then I’ve switched to more stable investments for real money and more risky for 401k. Time will tell.

Good luck in Wall Street Vegas. Hopefully trump doesn’t continue his crusade on tariffs.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Luck & timing when short term investing. I personally wouldn’t play the market short term. Mutual fund investing long term is spreading the risk and focus on long term gains down the road as you near retirement age. Good luck
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
2 years investing and talking about holding too long is where you're going terribly wrong.

Exactly. Either day trade or buy and hold for the long term. Aka 10 years plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Ramit Sethi and Dave Ramsey both have great investing advice, be in it for the long term.

The data seems to show that VERY few people every really succeed at timing the market so investing the majority of your cash for the long term and keeping some "play money" for volatile investments for things like crypto and looking for the "next best thing" stocks.

I really like Ramit's advice on how stupid it is to put all your eggs in the crypto basket...
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
NimbleNavigator
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Fayette County

I would avoid day trading unless its just a small amount and focus on maxing out your Roth IRA and 401K. Invest long term in index funds like the Total US stock market or S&P 500.

Also, don't invest in crypto
NimbleNavigator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Brown View Post
Hire a professional, like Edward jones type company. But do your research find someone that has your core values and is like minded or it will never work. You have to have some level of trust in the person your investing with.
I was with Edward Jones for over 10 years until realized how badly I was being skinned every time I made a trade. Basically it was $1 per share to buy and $1 per share to sell. I went to Fidelity and have since migrated to Merrill Lynch. I like ETFís in various sectors. There are companies that charge around 1% to manage part or all of your portfolio. Iíve been with several of these. Most claim they will go to cash when they see the market dropping but seldom are able to execute their strategy before itís too late. Knowing when to sell individual shares is difficult unless you have all day to work it.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #16
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
Have they helped you alot?
I would say yes they have. Have more in there than I have contributed and much better than a CD or typical savings account. Getting to the point where your money works for you is pretty cool.
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
X2
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #18
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

If you’re buying quality companies then there is no such thing as holding too long. If you are trying to day trade or trade on speculation then you are basically gambling.
What are you looking for on a company’s balance sheet to make your decisions?
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #19
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If trading were easy we would all be millionaires.

I bought Amazon at $80 and Apple at $42 and still hold those stocks. Unfortunately I was right out of college and didnít buy enough.

I also bought bank stocks that went belly up.

Since then Iíve switched to more stable investments for real money and more risky for 401k. Time will tell.

Good luck in Wall Street Vegas. Hopefully trump doesnít continue his crusade on tariffs.
Itís crazy how much the market has gained with all the uncertainty around the global market. Before this week I was up about 19.5% for the year.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Let a professional do it.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #21
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by be12hunt View Post
Itís crazy how much the market has gained with all the uncertainty around the global market. Before this week I was up about 19.5% for the year.
No kidding... I made $5k just this year off my meager investments.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #22
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

You need to get into low expense ratio ETFs or a fund modeled after the S&P500.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #23
bowhuntvideo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
You need to get into low expense ratio ETFs or a fund modeled after the S&P500.

This. No reason to pay someone. These funds charge .25 percent or less and will beat 85% of all professional fund managers. Dollars cost average in on a regular basis for the long haul, donít fret the swings and pray the Republicans stay in control.

bowhuntvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #24
Rush2Judge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
This. No reason to pay someone. These funds charge .25 percent or less and will beat 85% of all professional fund managers. Dollars cost average in on a regular basis for the long haul, donít fret the swings and pray the Republicans stay in control.
I'm with this guy. I recently set my son up with his own Vanguard account and is basically doing just this. I personally have a financial advisory and my accounts are managed by them but, that was relatively recent to make sure things were in line for retirement and to get Wills, trusts and Power of Attorney in place. Before that, I did some individual stocks and did "alright" and I did mutual funds. It is so much easier these days to go with Vanguard or Fidelity.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #25
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
I agree with this and others...I retired 2 years ago an have more than when I retired....Fidelity manages it. I just don't have time or knowledge to manage it. I just draw a "paycheck" monthly my wife still works and has insurance (our largest single expense).
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #26
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
This is spot on. You absolutely have to trust your advisor. Mine gets on me when I start watching the returns too much. He says I’m the worst type of investor..........because I wear him out on a down turn and seldom reach out to him on the upswings. Patience is a virtue!

If you are looking to get rich quick then long term investing is not for you. Those types of quick returns are shrouded in risks. If you have the time to do the research and the knowledge to purchase-sell at the right time then go for it. I work a full time job and don’t have the time or knowledge to day trade. Albeit I admit to not being a gambler when it comes to my $.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #27
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

4 percent is not that bad actually. Cdís donít even pay that. There is a couple TBH members that are investment brokers and planners. Maybe hook up with one of them, but donít expect it to be free advice. Like the other guys said get you a good planner that you can connect with. I honestly hate my Edward Jones rep, he wore me out calling me and trying to sell me investments.

Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #28
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

I got quite a bit of municipal bonds that are paying 5 percent tax free. Some of my mutual funds are at 10 percent and some of them are low risk at 5 percent.

Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Quote:

I use a TBH'r......that works for EJ. His handle is Gerald G6. Shoot him a PM. Let him know Jon B sent ya. It won't cost you anything to discuss strategy and you might find out that he can offer you some great options.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #30
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Our very own Burnadell is with Edward Jones out of Longview
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #31
hilltop101
Spike

Statistically 85% of actively managed funds will underperform the S&P 500 over a 10 year period. Over a 15 year period, 92% of actively managed funds will underperform the S&P 500.

I tried trading stocks on my own and it didnít go well. I started making a lot more money when I started index investing and I donít need a financial advisor to do it.
hilltop101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #32
ntxshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop101 View Post
Statistically 85% of actively managed funds will underperform the S&P 500 over a 10 year period. Over a 15 year period, 92% of actively managed funds will underperform the S&P 500.

I tried trading stocks on my own and it didnít go well. I started making a lot more money when I started index investing and I donít need a financial advisor to do it.
^^
If you're willing to spend a little time learning. It is all too easy to set up a portfolio of 2 or 3 index funds depending on desired AA.. Personally I'd rather my money keep working for me and not have an "advisor" and his company skim away at it. Edward Jones is horrible!
ntxshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #33
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxshooter View Post
^^
If you're willing to spend a little time learning. It is all too easy to set up a portfolio of 2 or 3 index funds depending on desired AA.. Personally I'd rather my money keep working for me and not have an "advisor" and his company skim away at it. Edward Jones is horrible!
I understand totally on studying investing and managing your own money. As the old saying goes nobody will take care of your money like yourself. A very true statement but people take care of their money in their own way. Some with a Financial Advisor some without, as in most cases opinions vary widely. As stated in your case above, I did the same for around 20 years plus in my career. But now I chose to use a Financial advisor because I find it much less stressful and pay them to worry about it. There are times in this last 10 year plus bull market run I would have sold thinking things had peaked. But instead I held with my FA advice and have done Ok in a very well diversified portfolio. That being said a person with a FA should keep a close eye on his/her investments, understand them and perform a health check along with their trusted FA. Sorry for the lengthy statement but I wanted to try and give a clear explanation for FA (in my specific case).

To clarify I am not and was not a FA isn’t the past. I am just a simple minded country boy that moved to the city, worked there a few decades, moved back to the country and want to spend my remaining years in the slow lane.

Last edited by tps7742; 08-03-2019 at 05:32 PM.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #34
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxshooter View Post
^^
Check out www.bogleheads.org for some supporting evidence
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #35
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Go set you up a vanguard account. I own VTSAX and it’s at 0.04% expense ratio. I’m up 7.2% so far in 19 it says. 11.2 from when I transferred over in mid 18.

I think that’s pretty good
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #36
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

^^^Vanguard is where I have an IRA & some of the lowest expense ratio funds that perform well.
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #37
Hooverfb
Ten Point

You're doing it wrong. I've made 20% the last two years buying and holding. Invest in some indexes, leave it alone.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #38
AZ&F'sDaddy
Eight Point

Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals (ARWR). Only stock I own. Lowest price I bought at was $1.50. Highest I have bought was at $25.00. It is just getting started. Once in a lifetime opportunity. Will be $1000 in five years - conservatively (barring an economic collapse). I have millions in it. Do your own due diligence. Feel free to ask me questions.

Last edited by AZ&F'sDaddy; 08-04-2019 at 10:00 PM.
AZ&F'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #39
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

I had a way-to-long reply typed up. I deleted it and will leave with this:

McDonalds

Last edited by Tex_Cattleman; 08-04-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #40
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals (ARWR). Only stock I own. Lowest price I bought at was $1.50. Highest I have bought was at $25.00. It is just getting started. Once in a lifetime opportunity. Will be $1000 in five years - conservatively (barring an economic collapse). I have millions in it. Do your own due diligence. Feel free to ask me questions.
I saw your post after I had already spend way too much time on my McDonalds diatribe. For grins, I did a five year comparison on ARWR to McD. How wild is THIS?!??!?

Name:  McD.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  25.1 KB
Old 08-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #41
whitetailtrail
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Go look at what the S&P 500 has returned over the past 2 years. There is no reason your portfolio shouldn't be very close to that. Buy index funds, whether it be the S&P 500 or the total stock market funds or a mix of both and tossing in a total bond market fund to round it out. Set your asset allocation and pump 20% of your income into it. Retire a millionaire. Investing is incredibly simple, but not always easy to stay the course.

Oh and if you haven't heard of www.Bogleheads.or, do yourself a favor and check it out. Much better place to ask for investing advice but beware you will get the hard truth from those folks.
whitetailtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #42
whitetailtrail
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Ramit Sethi and Dave Ramsey both have great investing advice, be in it for the long term.

The data seems to show that VERY few people every really succeed at timing the market so investing the majority of your cash for the long term and keeping some "play money" for volatile investments for things like crypto and looking for the "next best thing" stocks.

I really like Ramit's advice on how stupid it is to put all your eggs in the crypto basket...
I disagree here. Dave Ramsey preaches front loaded mutual funds where you're paying 5% before any work is done on the part of the advisor. He is great for saving, getting out of debt and managing money, but I wouldn't pass along his investment strategy.
whitetailtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #43
AZ&F'sDaddy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
I saw your post after I had already spend way too much time on my McDonalds diatribe. For grins, I did a five year comparison on ARWR to McD. How wild is THIS?!??!?

Attachment 966676
That's interesting. Coincidence; but interesting. The next five-year charts for the two will not compare.
Don't take investment advice from an anonymous poster on the internet. Do your own due diligence.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #44
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Our very own Burnadell is with Edward Jones out of Longview
Did not know this. Good to know.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #45
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Www.Betterment.com. You won’t regret it.
TXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #46
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

I'd love to have the play $ to put $5k on every stock that has the 'sure thing' TBH guarante. It be fun to look back a few years from now.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #47
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:

Attachment 966676
Reinvesting the MCD dividends makes MCD the better investment.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #48
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

If 2 years is your investment horizon, you did just fine. If 30 years, you did just fine too, don't worry too much about it.

Listen to Warren Buffetts advice - see article on his bet with a hedge fund that they couldn't beat the S&P 500 index. Very few managers can beat the S&P 500 PERIOD - not because they can't pick good stocks - because their fees eat up too much of the returns.

Managers add value in 1)protecting against downside risk and 2)estate planning/tax strategies. anyone else is selling snake oil. Vanguard index funds are about the lowest fees out there.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/18/warr...years-ago.html
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #49
AZ&F'sDaddy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
Reinvesting the MCD dividends makes MCD the better investment.
When considering the thread's author's two-year time frame, there is no comparison between MCD and ARWR, even with MCD's divi's.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #50
AZ&F'sDaddy
Eight Point

Quote:
I'd love to have the play $ to put $5k on every stock that has the 'sure thing' TBH guarante. It be fun to look back a few years from now.
Yes, I get the skepticism. It would be highly unlikely that I would make a stock purchase base upon someone's recommendation on an internet thread. I doubt anyone on here will even look at ARWR, let alone invest in it. Doing so would be foolish - if based solely on my recommendation.
Never the less, here's what I really believe:
ARWR will become the next Amgen-like pharmaceutical company and will be worth thousands per share.
Crazy, huh?!