Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 PM   #151
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

And one more thing, Garrett took charge of the play calling after the INDY debacle last year, I think he did pretty good. When he was the OC he was the hottest head coaching candidate in the NFL, turned down several jobs because the Cowboys promised him the head job in the future.
mjhaverkamp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #152
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
And one more thing, Garrett took charge of the play calling after the INDY debacle last year, I think he did pretty good. When he was the OC he was the hottest head coaching candidate in the NFL, turned down several jobs because the Cowboys promised him the head job in the future.

You remember why Jerry went out and got Garrett an OC named Linehan? I do....because he sucked at it and being a head coach at the same time! I distinctly remember them wanting to free him of the responsibilities because he wasn't excelling at either. They needed him to be a world class clapper first....

Maybe he has gotten enough experience where he can do both....but I hope Moore keeps him freed up to just clap.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #153
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
You remember why Jerry went out and got Garrett an OC named Linehan? I do....because he sucked at it and being a head coach at the same time! I distinctly remember them wanting to free him of the responsibilities because he wasn't excelling at either. They needed him to be a world class clapper first....

Maybe he has gotten enough experience where he can do both....but I hope Moore keeps him freed up to just clap.
They thought he had too much on his plate to handle play calling and being the head coach with no experience, when he was just a play caller he was **** good at it. Check out his offenses when he was the OC, its amazing what a good QB can do for you, and Jason done forgot more about football than what Moore knows, they will do fine together but it will be because of Garrett.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #154
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
They thought he had too much on his plate to handle play calling and being the head coach with no experience, when he was just a play caller he was **** good at it. Check out his offenses when he was the OC, its amazing what a good QB can do for you, and Jason done forgot more about football than what Moore knows, they will do fine together but it will be because of Garrett.

Well hell why bring in Moore if Garrett was and is still a superstar?

Exactly... he had too much on his plate and he struggled...and he still will. He also said countless times when asked that he helped with game planning in "Linehan's boring *** conservative offense"... the same offense talking heads call Garrett's offense. I'll eat crow if he shows me but I plan on ribeye if Garrett calls them..

Romo made Garrett IMO.. not the other way around..
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 PM   #155
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Garrett being a great OC has to be the biggest BS statement made in this post and that takes a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 PM   #156
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:

Exactly... he had too much on his plate and he struggled...and he still will. He also said countless times when asked that he helped with game planning in "Linehan's boring *** conservative offense"... the same offense talking heads call Garrett's offense. I'll eat crow if he shows me but I plan on ribeye if Garrett calls them..

I am going to start shooting a bunch of crows so I can serve you and DeMo a bunch of stewed crow, it will be good, trust me.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #157
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

Quote:
I am going to start shooting a bunch of crows so I can serve you and DeMo a bunch of stewed crow, it will be good, trust me.
History would say youíre wasting shells
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 PM   #158
Smart
Pope & Young

Attaboy Zeke!! More distractions!

https://twitter.com/startelegram/sta...363083264?s=21
Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 PM   #159
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
History would say youíre wasting shells

Hahahahaha...
Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #160
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:

Well helI.....why sit the best quarterback on your team when you have a legit chance to contend for a super bowl? Why have they done a million things that theyíve done for the past 20+ years. Itís a franchise that has been doing nothing more than chasing its own tail. No direction at all.

Cracks me up with all the Kellen Moore talk.....Heís got Dak dropping dimes 50 yards down the field! Look out NFC!.....The Cowboys have turned Kellen Moore lose on you!

Now, I hope Kellen Moore does have Dak dropping dimes 50 yards down the field and heís all pro this year. Iím ready for something other than Cowboy disappointment.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #161
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
Cracks me up with all the Kellen Moore talk.....He’s got Dak dropping dimes 50 yards down the field! Look out NFC!.....The Cowboys have turned Kellen Moore lose on you!

Now, I hope Kellen Moore does have Dak dropping dimes 50 yards down the field and he’s all pro this year. I’m ready for something other than Cowboy disappointment.

Well....except it's not Kellen Moore....It's John Kitna the new QB coach, who is a known QB trainer and folks call a guru....

I'd be more apt to believe there is some improvement after Kitna worked with him all year. Cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by Smart; 07-30-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #162
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

All Iím saying is if they wanted to package zeke and Gregory i wouldnít shed a tear. Heck throw in our lb coach Lee in too cause thatís about all he does.

drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #163
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Well....except it's not Kellen Moore....It's John Kitna the new QB coach, who is a known QB trainer and folks call a guru....

I'd be more apt to believe there is some improvement after Kitna worked with him all year. Cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, I messed that up pretty bad.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #164
Bear Charge
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Done with Zeke.
Bear Charge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 07:23 AM   #165
GA Bowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

All this discussion is a waste of time as long as JJ is the GM. If that dude would hire a real front office and let them do their job the Cowboy's ship could be righted.

Right now JJ and Jerry's Kids ain't getting it done.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 08:47 AM   #166
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
All this discussion is a waste of time as long as JJ is the GM. If that dude would hire a real front office and let them do their job the Cowboy's ship could be righted.

Right now JJ and Jerry's Kids ain't getting it done.

The kids have been doing a better job lately, much better. They didnít extend Garrett this off season, so maybe things will continue to improve.

Michael Thomas just got payed, I bet they settle with Cooper pretty soon now.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #167
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:

Kitna ? The QB guru ? The one they poached off of a local high school teams coaching staff, lol. Na just kidding, I like Kitna, he has something, he will help Dak and the offense.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:09 AM   #168
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

If they don't make a deep run in the playoffs this year Garrett could be out....replaced by Lincoln Riley. People are saying the league is trending towards the wide open offenses again. See Kingsbury and Murray in Phoenix. Does Zeke fit that style? Let's see, Jones didn't extend Garrett and isn't paying Zeke...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #169
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Kitna ? The QB guru ? The one they poached off of a local high school teams coaching staff, lol. Na just kidding, I like Kitna, he has something, he will help Dak and the offense.

I didnít call him that specifically. Iíve just heard him referenced as a QB footwork guru. Youíll need to call NFL Network and ESPN and tell them who you are and correct them...

Hell your boy Dak called Kellen Moore a young phenomenon guru too
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 AM   #170
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
If they don't make a deep run in the playoffs this year Garrett could be out....replaced by Lincoln Riley. People are saying the league is trending towards the wide open offenses again. See Kingsbury and Murray in Phoenix. Does Zeke fit that style? Let's see, Jones didn't extend Garrett and isn't paying Zeke...

Maybe I need to be hoping for a crash and burn this season. Thatís a win/win for both my teams
Old 07-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #171
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Maybe I need to be hoping for a crash and burn this season. Thatís a win/win for both my teams
Exactly. Lol.

I almost denounced my fandom when they brought Switzer out of retirement. I would welcome Riley with open arms.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #172
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
I didnít call him that specifically. Iíve just heard him referenced as a QB footwork guru. Youíll need to call NFL Network and ESPN and tell them who you are and correct them...

I'm no El General. I get my info from 104.9 the Horn. Lol.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #173
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Winning SB teams don't put up with gangsta players like Zeke. Nor do winning coaches and team owners. Jimmy Johnson would have already canned his butt but that was back in the day. Since then JJ has let the players run amuck and you see the results. They say you can't teach old dogs new tricks and JJ is proof of that. Cowboys fans certainly deserve better considering how much it costs to go see a game live.
Think about all the good and great players with no off field issues that have left to Cowboys and gone on to winning teams and championships.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #174
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

There is a lot wrong with the Cowboys and in my mind 99.999999% of it has the Jones name attached. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to fix it.
My opinion don't mean squat but just like anuses we all have our own.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #175
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Gangsta players? Zeke is more of a nerdy dude. Gangstas don't dress like Zeke or Russel Westbrook.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:29 AM   #176
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Garrett has not been to OC in like 3-4 years, check what he did when he was, I think he did pretty **** good. So if they do great this year it will not be because of Garrett, it will be because of Moore, RIGHT ? *** would Dak Prescott record be if Zeke was not the running back, less than 500 for sure, he probably would not even be the QB because Romo would have been put back in, no way in hell is Dak going 13-3 his rookie year without Zeke. I wish the hell you would have gotten your wish to draft Ramsey, that way Tony would have been the QB and we would have had a hell of a lot better chance at a SB. I listen to the players, scouts, and coaches, they know a hell of a lot more than all of us by a large margin, they all say Zeke is the best back in the NFL, he is the catalyst of the offense. For Jerry to say you don't need the rushing leader to win a SB, well by God Jerry one of them won you 3 SB's , the only 3 you won. Okay now that I have that off my chest, GOOOO COWBOYS !!!!!!!!!
I've cooked up a theory in my head, gonna let it loose here to see what you think.

Is it possible that Dak's outstanding performance his rookie year had a lot to do with having Romo on the sideline to unofficially 'coach' him along? His performance was night and day better with Romo there vs when Romo was gone.

I'm still waiting on the red clapper to be replaced by Romo, and I think the team will be better for it.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #177
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Winning SB teams don't put up with gangsta players like Zeke. Nor do winning coaches and team owners. Jimmy Johnson would have already canned his butt but that was back in the day. Since then JJ has let the players run amuck and you see the results. They say you can't teach old dogs new tricks and JJ is proof of that. Cowboys fans certainly deserve better considering how much it costs to go see a game live.
Think about all the good and great players with no off field issues that have left to Cowboys and gone on to winning teams and championships.
LOL, if social media was around when Jimmy was Cowboys coach it would have been a 3 ring circus, about the only Choir boys on the team were Troy and Garrett. Zeke is a choir boy compared to Michael Irvin, the only thing Jimmy did to Irvin was make him catch his own flight to a game.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #178
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:

I will make that call in a little bit, too busy deciding who my 53 man roster will be. You know who my boy was, I do like Dak, I think he is going to have a great year ( as long as he has the beast in the backfield )
Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #179
Smart
Pope & Young

Default 2019 Dallas Cowboys season thread....

Whaaaat? Jimmy Johnsonís teams were loaded with problem players. Thatís the most ridiculous thing Iíve heard on this thread so far. If they were good he kept them and turned a blind eye as long as they were winning for him. ... see Michael Irvin, Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Alvin Harper, James Washington etc partying like rock stars.. He only cut the problem crappy players.

We call that select good old days memory syndrome.

Just win baby!!

Last edited by Smart; 07-31-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #180
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

The white house.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #181
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Oh come on thats a money grab, just now suing for an accident in 2017?
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #182
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
You must not know anything about those early 90's teams if thats the way you see it LMAO
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 09:52 AM   #183
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
You must not know anything about those early 90's teams if thats the way you see it LMAO
Was thinking the same, Aron Hernandez, josh Gordon and tyreke hill come to mind also.
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #184
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

First I've heard of this...

Old 07-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #185
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

It ainít going to be Riley, itís going to be Shawn Payton, or Bob stoops.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:22 AM   #186
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

That was so 2016. Lol.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #187
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
That was so 2016. Lol.

Stoops is already on the payroll...
Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #188
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

I will denounce my fandom. Lol.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #189
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:

This.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #190
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
I hope and pray....

fify
Old 07-31-2019, 11:20 AM   #191
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
fify
Lol.

It will not be Stoops. No chance. He was supposed to be the guy 10 years ago. All I hear is Riley and that's the way the league is headed.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #192
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Everyone needs to slow down on Riley until people quit handing him Heisman quarterbackísÖ

Old 07-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #193
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Everyone needs to slow down on Riley until people quit handing him Heisman quarterback’s…

Double post

Last edited by oktx; 07-31-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #194
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Everyone needs to slow down on Riley until people quit handing him Heisman quarterbackísÖ

Yup. Wonít he already be in Dallas next spring? Bigger LOL!
Old 07-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #195
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:

I would be all over the Sean Peyton deal
Old 07-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #196
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Where cowboys are in a bind is with Dak. They are going to pay top tier $ for a guy that has proven very little. There are very few other options as well. Hope the guy pans out.

txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #197
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Where cowboys are in a bind is with Dak. They are going to pay top tier $ for a guy that has proven very little. There are very few other options as well. Hope the guy pans out.

That is why they have to have Zeke, Dak went 500 without him, it all could be changing, from what I am hearing Dak is doing really well, he has a QB footwork guru and a young phenom play caller
Old 07-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #198
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

One could only hope Dallas gets Peyton out of the NFC south. Heís a no brainer on that list
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #199
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
That is why they have to have Zeke, Dak went 500 without him, it all could be changing, from what I am hearing Dak is doing really well, he has a QB footwork guru and a young phenom play caller

Dak and Zeke were 3-4 last year before Amari showed up..
Old 07-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #200
oktx
Pope & Young

Payton would be a better choice than Stoops I think.