Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #101
ttechdallas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Cooper is absolutely elite.

I think this offense would work just fine without Zeke as long as Moore isnít as awful as Garrett, and Garrett stays out of it.

Zeke or no Zeke, Iíd be drunkerín a peach orchard boar on blue koolaide...if I didnít keep remembering weíve got the 31st ranked coach in the nfl...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then you haven't paid as much attention to how this team has been built over the past few seasons. It is built around Zeke and the running game - so that the Cowboys can control the situations in which they do pass.

Cooper is good and he may ultimately become elite but he is nowhere close to an elite receiver up til now. Like Zeke, he was a 4th pick in the 1st round. In 5 years, he has only cracked the top 20 in a single receiving category 1 time. He made 1 Pro Bowl - as a late injury replacement.

Contrast that with Zeke who is elite.

As for Garrett, I'm not sure we'll ever know how good a coach he is or isn't until he is with an organization run like an NFL team should be. With a real GM and player personnel manager who are held as accountable as every other position - player, coach, management.
ttechdallas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #102
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttechdallas View Post
Then you haven't paid as much attention to how this team has been built over the past few seasons. It is built around Zeke and the running game - so that the Cowboys can control the situations in which they do pass.

Cooper is good and he may ultimately become elite but he is nowhere close to an elite receiver up til now. Like Zeke, he was a 4th pick in the 1st round. In 5 years, he has only cracked the top 20 in a single receiving category 1 time. He made 1 Pro Bowl - as a late injury replacement.

As for Garrett, I'm not sure we'll ever know how good a coach he is or isn't until he is with an organization run like an NFL team should be. With a real GM and player personnel manager who are held as accountable as every other position - player, coach, management.

Linehan is gone. I see changes on the horizon for this 1st and 10 run offense of the past..

Last edited by Smart; 07-30-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #103
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I think Cooper has 3 pro bowls in 4 seasons, he missed several games in the year he did not make it, that is pretty elite Imo.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #104
Smart
Pope & Young

Old 07-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #105
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
What ever he is he brings the same amount of value maybe more.

Yep you could make the argument a top tier receiver is ďworthĒ more than Zeke in the current setup and Oline. Not far fetched.

txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #106
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I remember when Emmit Smith held out for more money. I also remember that being a little easier to swallow because he wasn't wrapped up in all this off-season/non-football related monkey business. No shame in Zeke's game.
Birddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #107
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:

I've payed plenty of attention to how it's been built. It's been built around running the ball because the GM wasted a 4th over all pick on a running back, and employs an inept offensive coach. It's built around an antiquated philosophy that's gotten them nowhere, and they're about to double down and get in salary cap trouble because they STILL don't realize that YOU CAN'T PAY EVERYONE! You definitely don't overpay at running back in a passing league.

With ALLLL Zeke has done in the last few years, where has it gotten the team? Nowhere. History tells us those are a RB's best years. The only way to improve as a team is to put the ball in his hands less. They have run the ball as much as they have, largely out of a distrust of the qb, but you can't improve that way. They HAVE to throw the ball more, and more effectively. It has been proven that Zeke running well does NOT open up the passing game. He sees like the 6th or 8th most 8 man fronts of ANY running back...

So you want to overpay a guy that needs to be used less, AND has proven to be an idiot at every turn?

Cooper has been playing for the effing Raiders, give me a break.

I havn't been paying attention?

Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-30-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #108
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Yep you could make the argument a top tier receiver is ďworthĒ more than Zeke in the current setup and Oline. Not far fetched.

You don't even have to make the argument, it's the absolute truth. Look no further than actual league salaries.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #109
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

So much angst for the third day of practice.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #110
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post

All Zeke's fault!. At least he is keeping the heat off Dak contract talks.

Wait until preseason games start! D-Mo will be on fire.. He loves those..
Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #111
ttechdallas
Eight Point

Quote:
With ALLLL Zeke has done in the last few years, where has it gotten the team? Nowhere. History tells us those are a RB's best years. The only way to improve as a team is to put the ball in his hands less. They have run the ball as much as they have, largely out of a distrust of the qb, but you can't improve that way. They HAVE to throw the ball more, and more effectively. It has been proven that Zeke running well does NOT open up the passing game. So you want to overpay a guy that needs to be used less, AND has proven to be an idiot at every turn?
We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys have a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB.

The "overpay" argument is irrelevant and totally speculative. The market is set, Stephen Jones himself has confirmed it publicly. We don't know what Zeke's demands are or where they will settle. That's up to them and I hope they do. But if they don't, I don't like their chances of winning the NFC East, much less advancing in the playoffs.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #112
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys HAD a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB..

We'll revisit after the season..
Old 07-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #113
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys have a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB.

The "overpay" argument is irrelevant and totally speculative. The market is set, Stephen Jones himself has confirmed it publicly. We don't know what Zeke's demands are or where they will settle. That's up to them and I hope they do. But if they don't, I don't like their chances of winning the NFC East, much less advancing in the playoffs.

You aren't listening...

They have a "run first" offense by choice, it's a bad choice and there is no reason they have to keep doing it.....literally zero reason. IT HAS NOT WORKED.

If you think a players salary is irrelevant in a salary capped league, then we are done here. Look where super bowl winning teams spend their money...
Old 07-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #114
ttechdallas
Eight Point

Quote:
You aren't listening...

They have a "run first" offense by choice, it's a bad choice and there is no reason they have to keep doing it.....literally zero reason. IT HAS NOT WORKED.

If you think a players salary is irrelevant in a salary capped league, then we are done here. Look where super bowl winning teams spend their money...
Never said player's salary is irrelevant. Look, this isn't fantasy football where teams can change their orientation and makeup on a dime. Every team is different - situation, personnel, coaching, etc., and there is no cookie cutter strategy that works for all.

Dak is a good QB and hopefully will evolve to a top tier QB, but he lacks the accuracy and defensive read skills to lead a pass oriented team to the playoffs. Especially this season. So if your theory is that it doesn't matter if the Boys have a great RB because they're not going to win this year anyway, then I get it. Ditch Zeke for a cheaper option and start the re-build.

I don't think the Cowboys are going for that - they want to compete now.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #115
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
Most relevant post so far
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #116
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

If we don't have Zeke the Cowboys can kiss those superbowl aspirations goodbye. You think Morris, Pollard, Jackson, or any combo there of will draw a stacked box like Zeke will? Without Zeke the whole focus of the defense changes, not to mention those three together can't touch his talent out of the backfield. I don't blame him for wanting a new contract now and holding out, hes gonna get another 350-400 touches this year if Dallas is going to do anything. Why take that beating and not get paid market value?
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #117
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dak is a good QB and hopefully will evolve to a top tier QB, but he LACKED the accuracy and defensive read skills to lead a pass oriented team to the playoffs.

We'll revisit after the season..

Quote:
Look, this isn't fantasy football where teams can change their orientation and makeup on a dime. Every team is different - situation, personnel, coaching, etc., and there is no cookie cutter strategy that works for all.

If Tyron stays healthy and with Frederick back I think they can handle their own in the passing game protection once again. Connor Williams put on 20 lbs and good mass and is hovering around 315-320. He looks the part of an NFL lineman, has the skills to be an NFL lineman.... all he lacked was some size and strength last year. Looks like he did what we needed. I like our chances with the Oline.

They added a better slot in Cobb IMO, have a full offseason with Amari and then Gallup is one more year experienced. Jarwin added another year and offseason, Witten is back and Dak seems to have worked his *** off on his accuaracy issues. I think Jerry and Stephen did a bang up job adding Kitna to train Dak and put them in the position to make the jump. Moore ...well ...we'll see. I think they have the pieces to not rely so heavily on the 1st down and 10 run.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #118
ttechdallas
Eight Point

If they don't sign Zeke, I hope you are right. But I suspect it will mean I sell a few more of our season game tickets and go deer hunting instead. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #119
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

Hell trade him and get something good for him In my eyes
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #120
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Sure are a lot of folks acting like itís no big deal if Zeke wasnít here. I donít care whoís calling the offense, if you donít have a quarterback to execute it then it ainít gunna work. Has anyone noticed how many times our qb gets sacked because he holds onto the ball with guys running wide open all over the field?

Iím sure hoping that something clicks with Dak this year and he starts seeing the field and is able to hit a guy 20 yards down it.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #121
MBV77
Ten Point

And the run first offense is more out of necessity than choice. All the dumbazz coaches calling the offense know what theyíre working with and the abilities of those guys.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #122
Smart
Pope & Young

I hope they sign him....but I don't want us 2-3 years later dealing with a hamstrung nutkick like we have in past overpaid contracts. Now show me a Super Bowl win and they can string me up by my own nuts and pay Zeke $25 mil per..

Zeke to start the season...3-4

Added Amari....7-2
Old 07-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #123
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

Im really just over these dumb arses with poor offield character... zekes a mouth breather with a couple others no need to name names we all know them. I hate the patriots, but i do respect their cut throat mentality with “personalities”.
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #124
Smart
Pope & Young

Default 2019 Dallas Cowboys season thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
Sure are a lot of folks acting like itís no big deal if Zeke wasnít here.

I think you are confusing us trying to sort out actual physical value of his position versus current and 4-5 years down the road monetary value ...

Last edited by Smart; 07-30-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #125
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Im really just over these dumb arses with poor offield character... zekes a mouth breather with a couple others no need to name names we all know them. I hate the patriots, but i do respect their cut throat mentality with ďpersonalitiesĒ.

Same...on all counts. I like how Zeke was portrayed this offseason as turning the corner with his maturity and then once again...bam....in trouble of some sort...
Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #126
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
If we don't have Zeke the Cowboys can kiss those superbowl aspirations goodbye. You think Morris, Pollard, Jackson, or any combo there of will draw a stacked box like Zeke will? Without Zeke the whole focus of the defense changes, not to mention those three together can't touch his talent out of the backfield. I don't blame him for wanting a new contract now and holding out, hes gonna get another 350-400 touches this year if Dallas is going to do anything. Why take that beating and not get paid market value?

Because he signed a contract to do so?

Dak Prescott will have made 2.7 Million after this year, in the same time Elliot will have made 25 million, and Dak hasnít been a pain in the ***. Zeke needs to get his *** to work.

Stacked boxes are revisionist history, Zeke saw less 8 man fronts than a lot of other backs last year.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #127
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sure are a lot of folks acting like itís no big deal if Zeke wasnít here.

Everyone freaked out about the Steelers not paying LeVeon Bell last year, and his 3rd round replacement had a **** nice year.

After Gurley went out, the Rams went to the SB with...who running the ball?

Itís not that Zeke isnít a great player, itís just that running backs are easy to replace, and donít represent the value heís asking for in a capped league, and they historically donít last long.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #128
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:
Everyone freaked out about the Steelers not paying LeVeon Bell last year, and his 3rd round replacement had a **** nice year.

After Gurley went out, the Rams went to the SB with...who running the ball?

Itís not that Zeke isnít a great player, itís just that running backs are easy to replace, and donít represent the value heís asking for in a capped league, and they historically donít last long.

You know what the rams and Steelers have that the cowboys donít?

Old 07-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #129
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
You know what the rams and Steelers have that the cowboys don’t?

Well, the list could be as long as you want it to be. lol

The 1st thing that comes to mind is receivers, and the 2nd is coaching, 3rd would be QB play.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #130
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Because he signed a contract to do so?

Dak Prescott will have made 2.7 Million after this year, in the same time Elliot will have made 25 million, and Dak hasnít been a pain in the ***. Zeke needs to get his *** to work.

Stacked boxes are revisionist history, Zeke saw less 8 man fronts than a lot of other backs last year.

Faced a stacked box just over 25% of his runs, the most in the league by backs with over 215 carries. My point is, he draws a lot of attention away from Coop and the rest of the receiving squad, not to mention he is a hell of a blocker to keep Dak upright. I hope they get a deal done and he is back by next week and this is a non issue. I don't know why they havent gotten these deals done already, Jerry knew the minute he traded for Coop this was going to be the case. I also think he needs to get Dak done now, the price is only going up and he isnt going anywhere. Of the three Coop can wait if it has to, we can franchise him for a year
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 05:33 PM   #131
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
Faced a stacked box just over 25% of his runs, the most in the league by backs with over 215 carries. My point is, he draws a lot of attention away from Coop and the rest of the receiving squad, not to mention he is a hell of a blocker to keep Dak upright. I hope they get a deal done and he is back by next week and this is a non issue. I don't know why they havent gotten these deals done already, Jerry knew the minute he traded for Coop this was going to be the case. I also think he needs to get Dak done now, the price is only going up and he isnt going anywhere. Of the three Coop can wait if it has to, we can franchise him for a year
I don't know why he can't get his *** to work in the meantime. He sure didn't mind that fifth year of control when he took the 4th OA pay slot, and cashed that signing bonus check. He signed a contract, get the **** to work.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #132
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I think you are confusing us trying to sort out actual physical value of his position versus current and 4-5 years down the road monetary value ...

Well if they donít sign him now to avoid salary cap problems 5 years from now when heís out to pasture then the Cowboys are mediocre on offense and probably go 9-7. So hopefully a franchise qb comes along during that time period and we use the Zeke money to sign him.

I think mjhaverkamp is dead on with his analysis of this team. Everybody listen to him.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #133
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:
Same...on all counts. I like how Zeke was portrayed this offseason as turning the corner with his maturity and then once again...bam....in trouble of some sort...

I will agree with that. His off the field antics donít help his cause.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #134
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

Now there's a lawsuit involving Zeke and a car accident cover up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #135
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
Now there's a lawsuit involving Zeke and a car accident cover up.

Iím telling you, donít negotiate with Jerry unless youíre ready for allll the smoke.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:46 PM   #136
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well if they donít sign him now to avoid salary cap problems 5 years from now when heís out to pasture then the Cowboys are mediocre on offense and probably go 9-7. So hopefully a franchise qb comes along during that time period and we use the Zeke money to sign him.

I think mjhaverkamp is dead on with his analysis of this team. Everybody listen to him.

MJHK give MBV77 back his phone....
Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #137
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't know why he can't get his *** to work in the meantime. He sure didn't mind that fifth year of control when he took the 4th OA pay slot, and cashed that signing bonus check. He signed a contract, get the **** to work.

I am in this corner.....
Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #138
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Trade his ***.

Y'alls boy Ragin said to Herschel his ***. Lol.

Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #139
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Trade canít happen, he has no value right now.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #140
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Trade canít happen, he has no value right now.

Probably right.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #141
Smart
Pope & Young

Rumor has it Sean Lee injured his knee.....I know....SHOCKED!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #142
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

Zeke will Be setting on the couch with DEZ,watching Sunday football together. JJ ain’t gonna pay him big money.
bowhuntingw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #143
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:
Rumor has it Sean Lee injured his knee.....I know....SHOCKED!
Aw man, Hope it’s not bad. But dang ..again?
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #144
Smart
Pope & Young

DMN

Old 07-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #145
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:
MJHK give MBV77 back his phone....

.....the guy says everything Iím thinking. He can just articulate it better.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #146
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
Regarding Zeke:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...oney-he-wants/
Ezekiel Elliott Is Not Worth The Money He Wants
I love good ole facts!!! He needs to show up and play!!

Quote:
He's under contract for 2 years...that includes NOW!

He needs to get his *** to work!

What kind of salary are you proposing for the next 4 yrs?
That's 100% my opinion as well!! We could be working this out and getting reps and work in with the team! I love him, hes a bad *** but this really disappoints me. I knew he was an idiot off the field but thought of him as a team player and beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Any buyers on another H.Walker type of trade?

Could shore up the team for another long term of dominance and contending.
If I was Stephen I'd be shopping his tail all over the dang league 100%! could be epic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Yíall execute me if you want but I wouldnít be ****** if they traded Zeke. What for exactly that someone would offer up Iím not sure but $15 mil a year on a RB in todayís game sounds outrageous to me even by pro sports standards.

Get er done! I'd test the waters for sure!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #147
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

One guy on Austin radio said he was just chillin on the beach instead of going through camp. He said he'll show up the last couple of werks.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #148
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
I think he will be fine, Garrett has a pretty **** good offensive mind to begin with, he will have his hands all over the play calling.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #149
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:

Garrett has not been to OC in like 3-4 years, check what he did when he was, I think he did pretty **** good. So if they do great this year it will not be because of Garrett, it will be because of Moore, RIGHT ? *** would Dak Prescott record be if Zeke was not the running back, less than 500 for sure, he probably would not even be the QB because Romo would have been put back in, no way in hell is Dak going 13-3 his rookie year without Zeke. I wish the hell you would have gotten your wish to draft Ramsey, that way Tony would have been the QB and we would have had a hell of a lot better chance at a SB. I listen to the players, scouts, and coaches, they know a hell of a lot more than all of us by a large margin, they all say Zeke is the best back in the NFL, he is the catalyst of the offense. For Jerry to say you don't need the rushing leader to win a SB, well by God Jerry one of them won you 3 SB's , the only 3 you won. Okay now that I have that off my chest, GOOOO COWBOYS !!!!!!!!!
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 PM   #150
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Default 2019 Dallas Cowboys season thread....

Garrett was so good at that job, he got it taken away from him!

Zeke is a ******, donít dispute that. Just think itís a bad plan to give him 15 mil a year.

Dak is gonna show us what he is this year, I think itís gonna be great. I hope it is, and he stays healthy.

Have a good night, Rog!