Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
    I read and commented for the support of the study with cattle. Have not heard of any reports of helicopter extermination either.

I'd love to stick an arrow in a nilgai using cow decoys [emoji16][emoji16][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    If I am not mistaken, we cannot use decoys at the Atascosa, not sure about El Teniente.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol I'll use a cow suit then. The decoy rule I understand. Too many numb nutz would shoot it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I remember when we didn't have to have blaze orange for bowhunts at the refuge. That changed when someone got shot at by another hunter. Hahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
          Does anyone know if the refuge did helicopter culling of nilgai this past year?

I read there was a proposal that they were going to graze insecticide treated cattle on the refuge to try to reduce the infestation of cattle fever tick. Did this happen?
          I don't know about helicopter hunts, but last year I saw feeders scattered along highway 106 and along the road in section 8. The feeders along 8 were on the private land, but near the fence. I can only assume the feeders were used to distribute the tick insecticide.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
            I don't know about helicopter hunts, but last year I saw feeders scattered along highway 106 and along the road in section 8. The feeders along 8 were on the private land, but near the fence. I can only assume the feeders were used to distribute the tick insecticide.

I believe that was the plan. I think they are going to remove the feeders before the hunts start. Don't want to make it too easy for all you bow hunters. Hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post

Yes, the corn is treated with Ivermectin. I know this was proposed but the concern was it might hurt birds that ate the corn. I guess those concerns were laid to rest. I hope it works!

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                I remember when we didn't have to have blaze orange for bowhunts at the refuge. That changed when someone got shot at by another hunter. Hahahaha.

I was right behind another TBHer when it came REAL close to happening. Luckily the other guy had his junk together enough to let down because at that range it wouldnt have missed.

Comment

I’m going back after that buck I missed last year!

Comment

I was there last year too - during the first bowhunt date and planning on putting in again - the place is awesome! I've never seen that many and kinds of birds, plus it has a wide range of different ecological zones.

Side note - I will not - nor recommend - Los Fresnos Inn they owner accused me of having more people than allowed in my room I asked him what was he talking about - he said I had "two or three girls staying with you" - I was like sh*t I wish!! haha - anyway after going back and forth it turns out he over charged me $15/night than the hotels in Port Isabel (Casa Rosa Inn) and it was the room next door that had more people than what was allowed (he didn't even apologize after realizing his mistake).

Comment

Wow...I stayed at a little place in Port Isabel that wasnt much more per night than Thomae campground and was nice and quiet.

Comment

I know people get drawn on their first year, but how many preference points did everyone have before you got drawn?

Comment

Originally posted by CrossTimbers View Post
                          I know people get drawn on their first year, but how many preference points did everyone have before you got drawn?
                          None, I've drawn both years I've put in.

Odds have been around 75% so you have to suck to not get drawn.

Comment

First year was 2 points then was drawn the next wit no points. Have no points this year again bc I was drawn fro Lower Rio Grande last year and not Laguna. Points do not help in TPWD draw system so never rely on that

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                              First year was 2 points then was drawn the next wit no points. Have no points this year again bc I was drawn fro Lower Rio Grande last year and not Laguna. Points do not help in TPWD draw system so never rely on that
                              then why do they have them?

Comment

My group got drawn first time we entered. great hunt...a hard hunt but a good hunt.

We put in again this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X