Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #51
caalexander4
Four Point
 
caalexander4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

I didnt get the email for some reason but the website showed me as drawn for the October hunt. Really looking forward to it. I havnt gone down there to scout yet, but would it be a better setup to have climbing sticks and a saddle or setup a pop up blind? Also should I bring my knee high boots for scouting or can I get away with calf high boots? Thanks in advance as it will be my first year down there.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #52
SLICE & DICE
Eight Point
 
SLICE & DICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: INGLESIDE, TX
Hunt In: SOUTH TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
Iíve be hunting with you that week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11/15 -11/19

I'll be there.
Live in Ingleside also.
SLICE & DICE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #53
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caalexander4 View Post
I didnt get the email for some reason but the website showed me as drawn for the October hunt. Really looking forward to it. I havnt gone down there to scout yet, but would it be a better setup to have climbing sticks and a saddle or setup a pop up blind? Also should I bring my knee high boots for scouting or can I get away with calf high boots? Thanks in advance as it will be my first year down there.
Tripod would be the best but Pop up of your two choices bc you canít disturb, attach to, or break/saw/remove anything. And I mean every ANYTHING that is out there. Knee highs bc ticks are horrid and will get on you. I wear base layers at all times to help prevent ticks from gettin to my skin but a few still do. As long as you stay out of the yíall grass you wonít get in the ticks too bad but every square inch of Laguna is got a tick on it.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #54
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Tripod would be the best but Pop up of your two choices bc you canít disturb, attach to, or break/saw/remove anything. And I mean every ANYTHING that is out there. Knee highs bc ticks are horrid and will get on you. I wear base layers at all times to help prevent ticks from gettin to my skin but a few still do. As long as you stay out of the yíall grass you wonít get in the ticks too bad but every square inch of Laguna is got a tick on it.
Ticks are bad. But I worry more about stepping on one of those 6' audible nope ropes! Almost stepped on 2 the last day im 2017. Heebie jeebies!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #55
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Ticks are bad. But I worry more about stepping on one of those 6' audible nope ropes! Almost stepped on 2 the last day im 2017. Heebie jeebies!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Sissie boy
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #56
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICE & DICE View Post
11/15 -11/19



I'll be there.

Live in Ingleside also.


Sweet man. Small world.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #57
Tomahawk54
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Which wkend at laguna?

I've done both hunts and Laguna has more opportunity in the first few weekends. Teniente is fun but a much smaller hunt area and is super thick. Too thick to hunt most areas.
I have decided to go for laguna again. I liked laguna last year even though i did get a shot at anything.
Tomahawk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #58
Jspradley
Ten Point
 
Jspradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: League City, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caalexander4 View Post
I didnt get the email for some reason but the website showed me as drawn for the October hunt. Really looking forward to it. I havnt gone down there to scout yet, but would it be a better setup to have climbing sticks and a saddle or setup a pop up blind? Also should I bring my knee high boots for scouting or can I get away with calf high boots? Thanks in advance as it will be my first year down there.

I'd bring good snake boots that you can walk long distances in, you'll likely have to wade through water too so make sure they are waterproof.

Saddle is no bueno, you cant attach anything to trees and even if you could none of the trees down there are really climbable. A popup will be your best bet if you want to use a blind.

It's a fun hunt, very tough but fun
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 03:12 AM   #59
Yakinthebox
Four Point
 
Yakinthebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Deer Park, TX
Hunt In: Upper TX Coast
Default

I drew it for the 3rd straight year but I can't make it this year. I don't have enough PTO built up at my new job and I was already selected for The Chap and that takes priority over this one.

If I draw any of the January hunts, I'll more than likely be going.

Hope someone on here gets my spot on the second draw.
Yakinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 03:58 AM   #60
RGV Hunter
Eight Point
 
RGV Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally
Default

I drew 11/01 - 11/05. It may be a bit too warm but I'll take it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #61
gemini2759
Ten Point
 
gemini2759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Isabel
Hunt In: Mostly public
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
I drew 11/01 - 11/05. It may be a bit too warm but I'll take it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Congrats. Glad you got one close to home.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #62
BackwoodzHank
Six Point
 
BackwoodzHank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wolfe City
Hunt In: Everywhere I can
Default

Does anyone know if they have a deer cooler at the refuge?
BackwoodzHank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #63
RGV Hunter
Eight Point
 
RGV Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
Does anyone know if they have a deer cooler at the refuge?
Yes they do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #64
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

Those animals are there in these 100 į temps right now, they'll be there in November when its 90į too. They dont just show up with the Snowbirds from up north lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #65
Txfire409
Ten Point
 
Txfire409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Labelle, Tx.
Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation
Default

I drew 11/1 to 11/5. Look forward to hunting with some of yall again.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #66
Txfire409
Ten Point
 
Txfire409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Labelle, Tx.
Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towboater View Post
Already have one but they arent allowed as of now.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #67
Palehorse
Eight Point
 
Palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brazoria County
Hunt In: All over
Default

I was drawn for LA for 10/25-10/29. I was also drawn for 3 other hunts so I'm gonna let this one go. That will be one more up for second draw for folks that put in. Good luck!
Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #68
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse View Post
I was drawn for LA for 10/25-10/29. I was also drawn for 3 other hunts so I'm gonna let this one go. That will be one more up for second draw for folks that put in. Good luck!
Dang! Well, lucky someone else. Good luck on your other hunts! I'll be excited to follow

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #69
caalexander4
Four Point
 
caalexander4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Tripod would be the best but Pop up of your two choices bc you canít disturb, attach to, or break/saw/remove anything. And I mean every ANYTHING that is out there. Knee highs bc ticks are horrid and will get on you. I wear base layers at all times to help prevent ticks from gettin to my skin but a few still do. As long as you stay out of the yíall grass you wonít get in the ticks too bad but every square inch of Laguna is got a tick on it.
Thanks for the info. Also didnt see that part yet about not disturbing anything. Im still trying to track down all the regulations for archery down there. Do they send you info on all of that when you pay for the tag? Im waiting on payday to do the purchase.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #70
caalexander4
Four Point
 
caalexander4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Ticks are bad. But I worry more about stepping on one of those 6' audible nope ropes! Almost stepped on 2 the last day im 2017. Heebie jeebies!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice. Will be upgrading my boots or atleast getting snake chaps for this hunt.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #71
caalexander4
Four Point
 
caalexander4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
The hunt brochure doesn't say anything about a mandatory orientation?Probably can't make it for first day of hunt, just want to make sure I don't make the drive for nothing if I can't make orientation.
Just found the actual website for it. Looks like we have mandatory orientation on the day before at 9:00 am per this page.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Laguna_At...s/hunting.html
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #72
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caalexander4 View Post
Thanks for the info. Also didnt see that part yet about not disturbing anything. Im still trying to track down all the regulations for archery down there. Do they send you info on all of that when you pay for the tag? Im waiting on payday to do the purchase.
Yea itís def a rule. Strongly enforced too. You should get all the info after you pay
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #73
Jspradley
Ten Point
 
Jspradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: League City, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post

Yea itís def a rule. Strongly enforced too. You should get all the info after you pay
Yup. All the rules are very strongly enforced by federal Rangers who, while mostly friendly, do NOT have time for f***ery lol
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #74
caalexander4
Four Point
 
caalexander4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post

Yea itís def a rule. Strongly enforced too. You should get all the info after you pay
Appreciate the help sir. Good luck to you.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #75
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young
 
PBUCKSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, Tx
Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse View Post
I was drawn for LA for 10/25-10/29. I was also drawn for 3 other hunts so I'm gonna let this one go. That will be one more up for second draw for folks that put in. Good luck!
Sure wish I could trade my November dates for this one . Good luck!
PBUCKSHOT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #76
ABWGTX
Four Point
 
ABWGTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cypress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
First year was 2 points then was drawn the next wit no points. Have no points this year again bc I was drawn fro Lower Rio Grande last year and not Laguna. Points do not help in TPWD draw system so never rely on that
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
then why do they have them?
They give points as participation trophies for melenial hurt feelings.
ABWGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #77
RGV Hunter
Eight Point
 
RGV Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABWGTX View Post
They give points as participation trophies for melenial hurt feelings.
I agree, I don't see how the point system helps. I have been putting in for the rifle hunts for almost 20 years and have never been selected. Other hunters put in for the rifle hunts for the first time and they get selected. That just proves points have nothing to do with getting selected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #78
Jspradley
Ten Point
 
Jspradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: League City, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
I agree, I don't see how the point system helps. I have been putting in for the rifle hunts for almost 20 years and have never been selected. Other hunters put in for the rifle hunts for the first time and they get selected. That just proves points have nothing to do with getting selected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sure they do, those 20 points give you 20 extra chances but random is still random.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 09:29 PM   #79
Tomahawk54
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

For you guys that have hunted laguna a few times, what is your water strategy for being out in the feild all day? Last year i would take a 3 liter camelback with me every morming and 2 extra water bottles. Found myself really having to ration to make it through the whole day.
Tomahawk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #80
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

Anyone know when the second drawing will be?
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #81
stsportsman42
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
Iíve be hunting with you that week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me and two others will be hunting that week also. We are from Aransas Pass.
stsportsman42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #82
MarlinMears
Ten Point
 
MarlinMears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springtown TX
Hunt In: Parker Co. TX
Default

Myself and the wife were drawn for the last archery hunt. Iím not too confident in her bow if she was to get an opportunity at a nilgai. She has killed white tails and I know shot placement is critical. So what are the rules concerning crossbows? Can anyone hunt with a crossbow on the refuge?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarlinMears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #83
Palehorse
Eight Point
 
Palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brazoria County
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinMears View Post
Myself and the wife were drawn for the last archery hunt. Iím not too confident in her bow if she was to get an opportunity at a nilgai. She has killed white tails and I know shot placement is critical. So what are the rules concerning crossbows? Can anyone hunt with a crossbow on the refuge?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. Anyone can use a crossbow.
Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #84
jnd1959
Eight Point
 
jnd1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
Anyone know when the second drawing will be?
10 days after the first unless all accept earlier, then it will just switch to ont selected.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #85
Huntindad
Pope & Young
 
Huntindad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander / Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
10 days after the first unless all accept earlier, then it will just switch to ont selected.
thanx,
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #86
Jspradley
Ten Point
 
Jspradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: League City, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
For you guys that have hunted laguna a few times, what is your water strategy for being out in the feild all day? Last year i would take a 3 liter camelback with me every morming and 2 extra water bottles. Found myself really having to ration to make it through the whole day.
I thought I drank a lot of water! Lol

I usually carry 2 one liter nalgenes with me and almost always drink them both, sometimes I'll have another 2 liters on a platypus bag with me.

I'm not sure if any of the water there is fresh enough to filter and drink but I always had a steripen with me as well.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #87
Tomahawk54
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I thought I drank a lot of water! Lol

I usually carry 2 one liter nalgenes with me and almost always drink them both, sometimes I'll have another 2 liters on a platypus bag with me.

I'm not sure if any of the water there is fresh enough to filter and drink but I always had a steripen with me as well.
I do drink a lot of water lol. I was hiking over 15 miles a day laste year though.
Tomahawk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #88
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I thought I drank a lot of water! Lol

I usually carry 2 one liter nalgenes with me and almost always drink them both, sometimes I'll have another 2 liters on a platypus bag with me.

I'm not sure if any of the water there is fresh enough to filter and drink but I always had a steripen with me as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
I do drink a lot of water lol. I was hiking over 15 miles a day laste year though.
Yea I drink a lot of water too but I get in my modes when hunting. I will go hours each day without eating or drinking. Couple packs Crackers and maybe a sandwich will last me all day. I freeze a couple bottles of water that will last almost all day.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #89
BackwoodzHank
Six Point
 
BackwoodzHank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wolfe City
Hunt In: Everywhere I can
Default

Gettin' ready!Got one of the fabricators in the shop building me an aluminum 6' tripod, took my 12' to Aransas last year and had a hard time finding some cover that was high enough, Got some Stans for my bike tires, will try to pick up a game cart next week to build a bike trailer.
BackwoodzHank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #90
caalexander4
Four Point
 
caalexander4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
Gettin' ready!Got one of the fabricators in the shop building me an aluminum 6' tripod, took my 12' to Aransas last year and had a hard time finding some cover that was high enough, Got some Stans for my bike tires, will try to pick up a game cart next week to build a bike trailer.
I would make sure to bring spare tubes and flat fix. I watched a couple hunts of it posted on youtube and everyone had flats on the videos. Maybe they all used crappy old bikes, but just a heads up. Im bringing backups.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #91
MarlinMears
Ten Point
 
MarlinMears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springtown TX
Hunt In: Parker Co. TX
Default

Does anyone want to split the cost of an Airbnb or rental house instead of a hotel? Itíll be my wife and myself. We will likely prep some of our meals ahead of time so it doesnít take all night to cook when we get in. Just thinking it would be nice to not worry too much about your stuff and possibly have more room.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarlinMears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #92
Romulan
Four Point
 
Romulan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

I've gotten the dreaded "Pending 2nd draw" - have any of you won on the 2nd drawing?
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #93
CenTex62
Nubbin' Buck
 
CenTex62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
I've gotten the dreaded "Pending 2nd draw" - have any of you won on the 2nd drawing?
I drew an East Lake Rifle tag last year on Pending 2nd, it can be done.
CenTex62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #94
CenTex62
Nubbin' Buck
 
CenTex62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caalexander4 View Post
Just found the actual website for it. Looks like we have mandatory orientation on the day before at 9:00 am per this page.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Laguna_At...s/hunting.html
I put a call into the hunt coordinator(vmail full) to see if they'd allow you to do the orientation at a different time like they did in '17.
Anyone heard if we'll be able to learn about the Ocelot again at a more convenient time or just before we go out?
CenTex62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #95
Txfire409
Ten Point
 
Txfire409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Labelle, Tx.
Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towboater View Post
I just spoke with park personnel about this and they stated they will be allowing ebikes on the refuge but they havent finalized anything about using them during the hunts yet. They asked to call back in about a week and they should know by then.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #96
caalexander4
Four Point
 
caalexander4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
I just spoke with park personnel about this and they stated they will be allowing ebikes on the refuge but they havent finalized anything about using them during the hunts yet. They asked to call back in about a week and they should know by then.
Thanks for screwing with my wallet...
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #97
GBludau
Eight Point
 
GBludau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land
Default

I'll get one if they allow it, but a big part of me hopes ebikes are not allowed.

If refuge wants to make beneficial changes for hunters they can first start by allowing limbs to be trimmed to allow for better shooting lanes/ethical shots. If they can prescribe burn thousands of acres, they should have more conflicts with hunters trimming limbs. They can allow/approve use of game cameras, hopefully increasing hunter success rate. Thats the whole reason for having the hunt.
Also, they need to have early orientation prior to scout dates, for early arrivals and another orientation later in the day on set up day for those whom must travel long distances considering the location of the NWR. 9am, I doubt they have many folks make that time and I forecast alot of hunters needing alternate orientation time.

Lastly, they need to reward success hunters with automatic permits the following year for harvesting hogs/deer/nilgai.

If they want successful hunts, thats the way to keep successful hunters returning.

LANWR is very difficult and not for weak hearted hunters.

Off my stand....

Back to ebikes!

I already found one!


Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #98
BigRed323
Ten Point
 
BigRed323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Hunt In: Texas, Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I'll get one if they allow it, but a big part of me hopes ebikes are not allowed.

If refuge wants to make beneficial changes for hunters they can first start by allowing limbs to be trimmed to allow for better shooting lanes/ethical shots. If they can prescribe burn thousands of acres, they should have more conflicts with hunters trimming limbs. They can allow/approve use of game cameras, hopefully increasing hunter success rate. Thats the whole reason for having the hunt.
Also, they need to have early orientation prior to scout dates, for early arrivals and another orientation later in the day on set up day for those whom must travel long distances considering the location of the NWR. 9am, I doubt they have many folks make that time and I forecast alot of hunters needing alternate orientation time.

Lastly, they need to reward success hunters with automatic permits the following year for harvesting hogs/deer/nilgai.

If they want successful hunts, thats the way to keep successful hunters returning.

LANWR is very difficult and not for weak hearted hunters.

Off my stand....

Back to ebikes!

I already found one!


Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Iím with you. If they decide to allow it, whatever, but I hope they donít as it takes away from the ruggedness of the place.
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #99
no1hogkiller
Ten Point
 
no1hogkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rosenberg, Texas
Hunt In: TPWD and Premont Tx.
Default

Yahoo. Drawn for 1st bow hunt. October 25-29. First time.
Could a couple of you Atascosa vets let me know what to expect down there.
no1hogkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #100
gemini2759
Ten Point
 
gemini2759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Isabel
Hunt In: Mostly public
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I'll get one if they allow it, but a big part of me hopes ebikes are not allowed.

If refuge wants to make beneficial changes for hunters they can first start by allowing limbs to be trimmed to allow for better shooting lanes/ethical shots. If they can prescribe burn thousands of acres, they should have more conflicts with hunters trimming limbs. They can allow/approve use of game cameras, hopefully increasing hunter success rate. Thats the whole reason for having the hunt.
Also, they need to have early orientation prior to scout dates, for early arrivals and another orientation later in the day on set up day for those whom must travel long distances considering the location of the NWR. 9am, I doubt they have many folks make that time and I forecast alot of hunters needing alternate orientation time.

Lastly, they need to reward success hunters with automatic permits the following year for harvesting hogs/deer/nilgai.

If they want successful hunts, thats the way to keep successful hunters returning.

LANWR is very difficult and not for weak hearted hunters.

Off my stand....

Back to ebikes!

I already found one!


Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
x2. Not a big fan of ebikes. I would also like to see a golden ticket like they do for Hagerman for doe, but for nilgai, which they seem to want to get rid of. I also think, they could open up more of the units and maybe hold separate drawings on where you are hunting. It would cut down on 1, 6, and 8 getting overrun.
I'll be there the last archery hunt, regardless.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com