Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 11-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #151
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Hunt In: Push Co

Name:  IMG_1970.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  99.2 KB

Another club buck......Iíd shoot him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AntlersBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #152
kva393
Four Point

Hunt In: Push County

Dang! Chase that thing towards Cloudy!
kva393 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #153
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Push County Oklahoma

From what me and my dad saw this weekend is no chasing or rutting at all. He saw mostly young bucks and no doe.

I saw young doe and yound bucks all weekend the same deer depending on what set I was at. The same resident deer from summer minus my mature bucks. No new deer really on any camera.

I was there when this picture was taken but at another set. Cant hunt here with a south wind. Would like to have seen him in person.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
arrowslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #154
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

He'll be back. Stay after him.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #155
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Anyone good at identifying saddles on Topo maps? I think I found a few but not exactly sure what I'm looking at.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #156
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle Co., Antlers, OK., Salem, Mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
Anyone good at identifying saddles on Topo maps? I think I found a few but not exactly sure what I'm looking at.

One thing the ONX app could certainly benefit from is the capability to highlight elevation ranges. Similar to my marine electronics. Would be cool to select a min of 800 and max of 900 feet. You could zoom out and clearly see the highest areas and where they connected to other ridges to locate saddles.

Vantage Point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #157
SB09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
From what me and my dad saw this weekend is no chasing or rutting at all. He saw mostly young bucks and no doe.

I saw young doe and yound bucks all weekend the same deer depending on what set I was at. The same resident deer from summer minus my mature bucks. No new deer really on any camera.

I was there when this picture was taken but at another set. Cant hunt here with a south wind. Would like to have seen him in person.

Our hunting has basically been the same as yours. Not very much feeder activity either, except under the cover of darkness, or right in mid-day. The deer weíre seeing are resident young does and young bucks running around all over for the most part.

One mature buck spotted 150 yards from one set then another the next day walking out of a set right after legal shooting ended.

Itís just that time of year for them to behave that way. Iíve seen it at a lot of places Iíve hunted. Maybe this week the pattern will shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #158
kva393
Four Point

Agreed, I have several pics of mature bucks from last week at all times of day and then this weekend, I hunted all weekend and saw a few small bucks and doe. Zero chasing. I will say, the deer hit the feeders quick but are concentrating on acorns for the most part. the last few frosts and rain really dropped the acorns.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #159
AntlersBoy
Four Point

I do t know how you guys are hunting and would not tell you any different if I did. But will throw this out there does do not like being cornered at feeders, find those bedding areas get down wind with small 5/10 lb chum piles and hunt them stupid hours. Get out of bed at 9/10 and hunt downwind bedding from 10/11 - 3/4 in afternoon

Old 11-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #160
breese
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma,Colorado,Arizona, New Mexico

The rut was in full swing in Latimer county this weekend. Seen multiple mature bucks chasing and checking.
breese is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #161
AntlersBoy
Four Point

There are saddles in all these mountains up here bud anywhere your topo lines do not run with mountain you have saddle or drain. Zoom way out and look for 2 circles close together with at least three to four lines in between them on each side and you have a good saddle.Name:  IMG_1981.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  93.6 KB

Old 11-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #162
Vantage Point
Ten Point

If anyone is hunting the WMA and doesnít have ONX app. This is a pretty good Oklahoma wma map with several base layers.
Thereís a shaded topo map thatís helpful.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...9858c28b3acbb6

Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #163
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlersBoy View Post
I do t know how you guys are hunting and would not tell you any different if I did. But will throw this out there does do not like being cornered at feeders, find those bedding areas get down wind with small 5/10 lb chum piles and hunt them stupid hours. Get out of bed at 9/10 and hunt downwind bedding from 10/11 - 3/4 in afternoon

I dont hunt feeders. Mostly travel routes. Chum piles not really working right now. I will say these deer on this place simply do not hit corn or feed like the deer we hunted in Snow would.

Last edited by arrowslinger; 11-04-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #164
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlersBoy View Post
There are saddles in all these mountains up here bud anywhere your topo lines do not run with mountain you have saddle or drain. Zoom way out and look for 2 circles close together with at least three to four lines in between them on each side and you have a good saddle.Attachment 979060

I think I found a couple I put cameras out on. One is more of a bench around the edge of a mountain. Hookings and pawings covered both spots up with white oaks covering the ground.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #165
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Hunt In: Clay County Tx, Push Co Ok

Well finally made it up to Antlers! Will be up here for the next two weeks straight. Staying at the budget inn. Hopefully will have some good pics and movement to share soon.. Going to check cameras this afternoon and put a little hand feed out . Should have time for a quick sit too even tho it is warm. Looking like they are calling for tons of rain next few days , which really sucks bc the creek I have to cross just to get to my property will be flooded and nothing I can do. Whenever we get 2+ inches rain it floods over the road to the property .

Good luck to everyone else hunting this week.
mtnbucks26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #166
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Had about 15 big gobblers come in all of them had long beards and super healthy. Gets me excited for the spring!

Cpl small bucks but thats about it. Cameras needed new batteries and sd cards . put a cpl new cameras out and have a cpl more to check also.

Cant believe it was 72 today
Old 11-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #167
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Couple more new deer to look at
Name:  59469912994__DFA88BCE-3844-4840-B56B-EDF4AE66DF3E.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  117.6 KB[ATTACH]979198[/ATTACH
The latter probably just moved towards the top of my hit list

Attached Images

Old 11-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #168
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Love all the pics! Have me drooling ! I need to get on one of your leases!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #169
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Name:  IMG_1995.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  115.0 KB

Another cool deer, got some trash

Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #170
kva393
Four Point

All, daylights pics, too. Great deer. Headed up Friday night after football for 10 days. Gonna take Antler Boy's advice and move some stands near bedding areas to accommodate different wind directions. I just spent $25 hard earned dollars on the Blood Moon App (as seen on TV...ha) Shows bedding areas and transition zones as hot spots between 0930-1100 this weekend. hope to see some good pics on here over next few weeks and hope to add one myself...Ö.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #171
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kva393 View Post
All, daylights pics, too. Great deer. Headed up Friday night after football for 10 days. Gonna take Antler Boy's advice and move some stands near bedding areas to accommodate different wind directions. I just spent $25 hard earned dollars on the Blood Moon App (as seen on TV...ha) Shows bedding areas and transition zones as hot spots between 0930-1100 this weekend. hope to see some good pics on here over next few weeks and hope to add one myself...Ö.
I have done the same move setups into the saddles and found some white oaks. I will hunt all day when I go back up for a few days.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #172
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Good luck to you guys, I plan on kicking off my hunting season tomorrow and plan to spend next couple months in stand. Hope it does not take that long. Tried getting everything squared away tonight it was a S•/! show. Will probably carry 50 lbs of crap to woods I donít need. My half dozen sits this year have been half azzzed

Old 11-08-2019, 01:09 AM   #173
mtnbucks26
Four Point

My pack literally probably weighs 30 lbs lol. My back is feeling it. Hunted 10am till dark yesterday and had deer on me all day several small bucks chasing does.

Also had 3 solid 3 1/2 year olds come by chasing does. One was decent 10 pointer came to 25 yards.

Got charged by about a 125 inch 8 pointer walking to the stand . Was laid up with a doe she ran past at 10 yards and he came right at me to 5 steps - think he thought I was a buck but he quickly realized his mistake as I was at full draw and he had an arrow pointed right at him .

The creek to access my property flooded really bad so couldn't hunt this am. Got permission from neighbor to pass through his property to access from other side creek but was probably a 40 minute hike back . Saw two nice bucks on the dirt road chasing but that was it .

Bucks are definitely chasing and should be a great few weeks of hunting . Looking forward to seeing some bucks go down soon!

Good luck everyone!
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 AM   #174
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Also don't know about everyone else but my place is loaded with acorns right now. Didn't realize how much so till looking around today
Old 11-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #175
chocolatelabs
Spike

can't wait to get up there and see what is going on...
chocolatelabs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #176
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Well I let an arrow fly tonight on an old Wiley mountain buck. He is one we have had pictures of for years but could never get. He is actually a cull buck. I climbed down the ridge overlooking a bluff and peaked over and sure enough 25 yards away he was bedded down with a doe.

Didn't realize which buck it was for like 45 minutes - knew he was old but short tine length. Once I realized decided if I got a shot I would take it. As he skirted away following the doe I slid to my left into the only opening and made what felt like a great shot. The shot landed a few inches forward shattered his front shoulder and only penetrated maybe 6-7 inches . The shaft snapped on a tree as he fell down the hill

I shoot a 340 grain fmj arrow and a 100 grain nap spitfire max for about 450 grain total weight. Now I wish I stuck with my fixed bh. When it first hit he immediately dropped and fell down the edge of the ridge below. There was a big puddle of blood where he stood at the bottom for a minute or so.

I tracked him maybe 300-400 yards after 3 hrs waiting. I shot him at 1pm today. The blood tapered off some maybe 6-7 drops at a time here and there. But still blood. Saw some small bubbles in some of the blood and found several huge shards of bone from the shoulder. After tracking him awhile and hearing a deer blow ahead of me which I'm guessing is him I decided to back out. The landowner thinks he is dead and wants me to go find him tonight . Was hoping to have some of your opinions and will include some pictures too .

I also got 10 or more minutes of video of the buck on iPhone before I shot him. I will try to figure out how to post a video on here . Its pretty neat. And I shot this deer from the ground which is kinda crazy.

Photos in route
Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #177
arrowslinger
Ten Point

I would wait. Shoulder hits in my experience aren't deadly. Not saying it's not a deadly hit but the time I hit one in the shoulder he survived and I got him later. But I would wait.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #178
Vantage Point
Ten Point

I would wait. If anything like our area, thereís a good chance the coyotes will get to him tonight. Might not be much meat left to salvage if that happens.
Sounds like an awesome encounter and hunt. Wish the best for your recovery.

In for pics and video. Uploading it to YouTube might be the easiest route.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #179
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Agree with both, coyotes will have him or heíll be fine. Bad thing about shoulder hits with no exit is blood tends to pool between shoulder and rib cage ďthat crappy part to skin when your trying to cape one outĒ blood just runs out it seems.

Iíve personally shot a deer through both shoulders that I killed 3 years later, both shoulder blades had v missing out of them when I cleaned him.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #180
mtnbucks26
Four Point

im not feeling good about it. Hate myself when this happens . Was one of the coolest sits Ive ever had and sucks for it to end this way. ill post the videos on youtube then upload here so you guys can check out. I went out and looked again in an effort to try and save the meat from the yotes. I eventually lost the trail. Talk about pucker factor being way back in those mtns by yourself in the middle of the night. Something came charging down the trail towards my back from the direction I had just came and it was not scared of me even when I shined light and made noise . Wouldn't run off. here are some photos of arrow and blood trail.

Name:  IMG_7356-2.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  206.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7358-2.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  210.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7359-2.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7361-2.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  175.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7362.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  210.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7373.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  198.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7383.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  139.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7352.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  179.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7346.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  129.4 KB

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 11-09-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:12 AM   #181
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Name:  IMG_7343.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7344.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  188.8 KB

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 11-09-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:15 AM   #182
mtnbucks26
Four Point

The one in the dark was the last blood I found tonight after picking the trail back up. There were 3 piles like that very close together.. then lost it. Could have dropped down a ridge maybe and thats why it went dry. That was heavier blood then I had seen in awhile

Thank you all very much for the replies . Man I hate loosing deer

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 11-09-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #183
mtnbucks26
Four Point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...hM&app=desktop

Let me know if this works. Ill try to do a cpl more .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...qI&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...pc&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pZ4...be&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOK...be&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...DQ&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU3P...be&app=desktop

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 11-09-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:38 AM   #184
mtnbucks26
Four Point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...JQ&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAv...be&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mci1...be&app=desktop

hope you guys like the videos. did best I could with my video skills. He was grunting at her too bt wasn't able to get on camera. Hopefully can find him tomorrow, When that sun hits his antlers he looks really good !

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 11-09-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #185
PassnItOn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, TX

rooting for you brother! good luck
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #186
SB09
Pope & Young

Nailed down one of our culls this morning at 39 yards.

SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #187
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
Nailed down one of our culls this morning at 39 yards.

Congratulations!
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #188
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Congrats on the cull. Wanted to update on situation. Tracked a really long ways into the next neighbors property. Waited for permission to go back but they are hunting back there and don't want me blowing it all out for them. They said they would look for me and look for buzzards etc. This really sucks . Feeling sick to my stomach. In a way loose motivation to go get in the woods after loosing a deer. Maybe he is still alive but the fact I had good blood after such a long ways from the shot makes me think he is dead or will die - or as you all pointed out the coyotes got to him.

Even tho he was a cull buck for our property he was still a trophy in my book bc of his age . And you couldn't have asked for a better encounter and hunt. He would have been my biggest mtn buck to date . And probably one I would have been most proud of even tho I've killed much larger bucks.

Anyways good luck to everyone - we have some great weather on the way and should be really good the next week. Ill keep up to date if anything changes
Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #189
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Neighbor said he looked were I marked last blood and all around for hours with no luck. Maybe he will show back up on one of the cameras
Old 11-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #190
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Iím sure you noticed but that deer was walking, thatís a good sign. Should see him back in cam. All blood you showed in pics was deer standing still for the most part.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #191
mtnbucks26
Four Point

The videos I posted were all actually right up to the shot. Looking back I should have just shot him in his bed at 25 yards but it was almost an hour before I decided I was gonna shoot him. The doe eventually spotted me and he followed her up the hill to my right giving me a 30 yard shot. I had to stand up move to the left to shoot through the only hole.

Yea I mean there were drops of blood all along his trail with bigger piles every so on. I guess thats where he stopped.

Appreciate everyones help and support. Hopefully he will be back on cam or ill get another shot at him later in the season.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #192
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Finally got a big shooter on cam. Now just got to try and get after him. Only one picture and at 4am but dam thats a huge 8 pointer (to me anyways ). What do you guys think he will score? Wonder how tall his g2 and g3 are. Antlersboy almost looks like that one you posted pics of earlier this year.

Thinking I will punch my tag for not recovering that other buck and making a poor shot. I looked at the distance I tracked blood and it was right at a mile.

Name:  IMG_7411.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 11-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #193
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Bumping 140 and healthy, 4 year old deer you should get a couple chances at him

Old 11-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #194
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Nice! Hope he does come out in daylight !
Old 11-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #195
mtnbucks26
Four Point

Anybody else hunting this cold front for next few days?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #196
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbucks26 View Post
Anybody else hunting this cold front for next few days?

Hunting Thursday through Sunday.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #197
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Iíll be there, for next several days. Good luck guys. This is a killing week, forget about the rut guys. Not saying you wonít see some but focus on areas you saw those deer in September they will visit home and try to rest a little before round two.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #198
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Iíll be chasing two odd and old deer one I call freak the other Casper, not necessarily after Casper got a friend and fellow hunter thatís on him. Feels like Iím chasing him to though because Iíve got a couple years of history trying to help him find him. But the freak is in trouble... from me.Name:  59504382710__BC7F69D8-6BCE-411A-B156-F32BDE4BD848.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  117.8 KBName:  59504373490__58AEF8FD-06B3-4E6C-9E3A-EB518C52D9CD.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  73.1 KB
The two that better be on their a game this week

Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #199
AntlersBoy
Four Point

Ones 7/8 the other 8/9. Love hunting old deer. You better have all your s}{!+ in one basket when you get ready to take down a 8+ year old mountain white tail

Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #200
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Antlers boy that most be the ďhoney holeĒ.
Good luck! Iíll probably have dinner in town one day while Iím in the area. If you guys want to meet up let me know.