Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #51
Trumpkin
Six Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

Are the trees big enough to hang from a tree saddle at ground height? My sit drag is a lot more comfy than a stool. I'll be there for 1/2-1/5
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #52
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

If I had any room at my house I would let yíall stay here instead of paying for a hotel, Iím about 30 minutes south of Raymondville.
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #53
Phorizt
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land

Starting to look like we may be in for some warm and wet weather for next weekís hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #54
Brown E
Four Point

There are trees there big enough but may not be in the spot you would like to hunt. Most of the trees at Teniente are small
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #55
Phorizt
Six Point

Anyone know if you're supposed to wear hunter orange if you're on the refuges scouting before the hunt? I assume you don't but wanted to make sure.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #56
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
Are the trees big enough to hang from a tree saddle at ground height? My sit drag is a lot more comfy than a stool. I'll be there for 1/2-1/5
Majority of teniente is fairly new growth so not a lot of big trees to try and hang stuff on.
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #57
BigRed323
Ten Point

Nilgai have been on the move! Been seeing quite a few cows lately
Old 11-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #58
Lucky333
Spike

Hunt In: Everywhere

I'm heading out to Teniente right now. Hopefully we will have some luck this week. Anyone else headed out there?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Lucky333 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #59
Phorizt
Six Point

I was there early today. Put in about 6 miles hiking before lunch trying to find a few good spots. Saw 2 other trucks out there this morning and one guy in a car taking pics of birds. Saw one Nilgai cow and a few wt does. Iíll be headed back this afternoon to check on some more areas.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #60
HuntorFish
Spike

Good luck. Got hotel booked today for December 4th-8th Hunt.
HuntorFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #61
Lucky333
Spike

I just had a bull come up behind me. I didn't want to turn around because he would have busted me. So I waited hoping he would come around the side of me. He got within 10 yards directly behind me. He saw me then and took off into the brush.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #62
Phorizt
Six Point

Default LRGV NWR - Teniente (2019)

I saw a grand total of 1 mouse and some birds today. And I sat from 5:30am until dark. I hope everyone else had better luck than me. Cant wait for cool weather tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #63
Lucky333
Spike

A buddy and I sat from about 05:30 until about 18:00. I saw 2 Nilgai and he saw one. I also saw 6 turkeys and he saw a badger. We were about 600 yards away from each other. We didnít see any other hunters other than driving on the road.
I am hoping to get my first bow kill on this hunt. It was a close one this morning. I was sitting in some tall grass about 20 yards away from some brush. A bull came out of the brush right behind me. He was slowly walking and grazing. I hoped he would come around the side of me. I knew that if I turned and drew my bow he would bolt before I could get an arrow off. He ended up coming straight at my back. He ended up spooking when he was less than 10 yards behind me. I think it was closer to 5 yards. He looked to be about twice as large as a cow nilgai that I shot last year during the LANWR exotic rifle hunt. She was 195# field dressed. Iím guessing this bull might have weighed about 500# or more. My heart was beating like a jack hammer. I turned my head just enough to look at him a couple times. It was insane being so close to a huge bull without him knowing for so long. Iím hoping to see more and maybe shoot one, but I am happy getting that close encounter. It was a long hot day. Hopefully the cooler weather will get more animals moving. Good luck to everyone else out here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #64
jhuddleston
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazos County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky333 View Post
A buddy and I sat from about 05:30 until about 18:00. I saw 2 Nilgai and he saw one. I also saw 6 turkeys and he saw a badger. We were about 600 yards away from each other. We didnít see any other hunters other than driving on the road.
I am hoping to get my first bow kill on this hunt. It was a close one this morning. I was sitting in some tall grass about 20 yards away from some brush. A bull came out of the brush right behind me. He was slowly walking and grazing. I hoped he would come around the side of me. I knew that if I turned and drew my bow he would bolt before I could get an arrow off. He ended up coming straight at my back. He ended up spooking when he was less than 10 yards behind me. I think it was closer to 5 yards. He looked to be about twice as large as a cow nilgai that I shot last year during the LANWR exotic rifle hunt. She was 195# field dressed. Iím guessing this bull might have weighed about 500# or more. My heart was beating like a jack hammer. I turned my head just enough to look at him a couple times. It was insane being so close to a huge bull without him knowing for so long. Iím hoping to see more and maybe shoot one, but I am happy getting that close encounter. It was a long hot day. Hopefully the cooler weather will get more animals moving. Good luck to everyone else out here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AWESOME story man, keep em coming and hopefully add a pic of a big one with an arrow hole in it!!!
jhuddleston is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #65
Phorizt
Six Point

After seeing nothing on Thursday i moved to a new spot yesterday. Itís an elevate spot where i can see a lot further than i can shoot. I wanted to hunt here Thursday but the wind was wrong so I stayed out. I had a lot more action yesterday...

First thing in the morning i had 3 nilgai come through but couldnt get a shot. Right after that a coyote came by. At first i thought it was a small hog bc it was almost solid black. Not sure it it was melanistic or just real dark but iíd never seen one that dark. A little later I saw 3 wt bucks including one nice mature 9 pt but no shot. After lunch i had a hog come through but didnt slow down as she went down one trail i could have actually taken a shot on. Also saw 8 turkeys. Later in the afternoon another coyote came by at about 15 yards(this was a normal colored yote). Had a couple more wt bucks come through out of range a little later. One looked like a young 10pt. Finally had a big boar come in right down a dry creekbed to my left. I shot him but got him high in the shoulder. I watched him run off quite a ways but there was no blood and I could find any sign of him in the tall grass and brush he ran into.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #66
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Good stories

TXOUTLAW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #67
Lucky333
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
After seeing nothing on Thursday i moved to a new spot yesterday. Itís an elevate spot where i can see a lot further than i can shoot. I wanted to hunt here Thursday but the wind was wrong so I stayed out. I had a lot more action yesterday...

First thing in the morning i had 3 nilgai come through but couldnt get a shot. Right after that a coyote came by. At first i thought it was a small hog bc it was almost solid black. Not sure it it was melanistic or just real dark but iíd never seen one that dark. A little later I saw 3 wt bucks including one nice mature 9 pt but no shot. After lunch i had a hog come through but didnt slow down as she went down one trail i could have actually taken a shot on. Also saw 8 turkeys. Later in the afternoon another coyote came by at about 15 yards(this was a normal colored yote). Had a couple more wt bucks come through out of range a little later. One looked like a young 10pt. Finally had a big boar come in right down a dry creekbed to my left. I shot him but got him high in the shoulder. I watched him run off quite a ways but there was no blood and I could find any sign of him in the tall grass and brush he ran into.

Sounds like you have a good spot. I didnít see anything yesterday. It was chilly and drizzling all day long. I moved around some but didnít have any luck.

This morning I about crapped myself. I was walking into my spot with my headlamp on with a low red light. When I was about 20 yards from my spot I heard a very low and loud growl. I didnít see what made the growl but it sounded large. I sat in my spot and it sounded like the animal stuck around for about 5 minutes before moving on.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #68
Phorizt
Six Point

Quote:
Sounds like you have a good spot. I didnít see anything yesterday. It was chilly and drizzling all day long. I moved around some but didnít have any luck.

This morning I about crapped myself. I was walking into my spot with my headlamp on with a low red light. When I was about 20 yards from my spot I heard a very low and loud growl. I didnít see what made the growl but it sounded large. I sat in my spot and it sounded like the animal stuck around for about 5 minutes before moving on.

Wow that will keep you on edge in the dark.

I just put a stalk on a group of 4 nilgai that came through. Looked like 2 cows, a small calf and probably a yearling. Too far and on the other side of some brush from my blind so i tried to sneak up on them. Made it about 35 yards on my hands and knees through mesquite and cactus when one of the nilgai in the front that I thought had turned and walked off into the brush circled back and got spooked and they all ran off. I probably got to within about 40-45 yards of the one i was trying to shoot before they ran off. I should have brought kneepads.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #69
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Antelope are tough to stalk without a ditch or hump to use. Unfortunately those are hard to find in S.Texas
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 04:36 AM   #70
Phorizt
Six Point

Yesterday was my best and then worst hunting day ever...

After the failed stalk attempt in the morning I decided I was going to try to find a new spot along the trail where I had watch the deer and nilgai travel the previous day and a half. After lunch I packed up all of my stuff and moved over to a new setup across the dry creekbed from the trail which was a perfect ambush site. 30 yards from the trail and perfectly concealed. I could still see my previous setup from my new spot too.

So around 2:30 I look up an there about 100 yards away is a nilgai standing 10 yards away from my previous setup walking on one of the trails I had been watching for almost 2 days. That was frustrating but I still felt good about the new spot. Then a couple of hours later I look over through the brush and there is another group of nilgai and they are walking straight towards my old setup again and end up on the same trail 10 yards away from the old spot. Now I'm ****** and thinking these nilgai are a lot smarter than I gave them credit for and they're all just playing games with me at this point.

Right when they get next to my old spot I'm not sure what happened but several of the younger ones(not small calves but not mature animals either) stop, start jumping and kicking around and then they all take off running full speed. I watched them for the next few minutes playing chase running in big circles all around the field where I had been setup watching for 2 days. Eventually they start running in circles closer and closer to me and then run a complete circle right around me. It felt like I was in a nilgai stampede. All of the sudden one of them runs right down the creek bed and up the bank right in front of me and stops 10 yards away. So I got ready, aimed right behind the should and shot. 10 yards away, shot felt good, dead nilgai I thought. It took off running but the sun was right where she went so I couldn't see very well. I was elated after 4 days of hard scouting/hunting to finally get a shot at a nilgai.

So after a minute I start gathering up my stuff and was going to go check to see if I can find my arrow when I remember that there was still a large cow back where they had come from. So I turn and look over there and see her standing 75 yards away trying to figure out why everything ran off the other direction. She starts making some loud coughing/grunting sounds like she's trying to call the kids back and begins walking right down the trail towards me. After several minutes she's standing broadside at 30 yards in my shooting lane. I'm debating what to do the entire time as she gets closer and closer. There's still daylight, the other shot was a layup and it wasn't a big nilgai so I decide to take the shot. Thwack! Looked and felt like another perfect shot. The cow runs towards where I last saw the first one I shot, slows down and stops. The sun is right in my face and I still have sunglasses on trying to look through the binoculars so I set the binos down, take off the sunglasses and the look through the binos again and can't see her. Based on how she was moving, I was sure she had just layed down and died right there 75 yards away. now I'm super excited and can't believe what just happened. I'm thinking abbot stopping in Austin and Hamilton on my way home and being able to drop off a cooler full of meat to both my brother and sister's families. I realize I'm going to be in for a long long night and a whole lot of work but this was better than I ever anticipated.

After waiting a while I get up and go look for arrows and blood. I find some blood near where I shot the first one but not a lot. No arrow. The grass is real tall and would be hard to find an arrow if I got a passthrough which I would expect at that distance. Then I head over to where I shot the cow. No arrow. Not a speck of blood anywhere that I can find. Then I head over to the spot where I last saw both of them expecting the cow to be laying there dead. Nothing. Start circling the area just to see if I see her somewhere nearby and see nothing so I head back to start following the blood trail. Long story less long, I end up following the trail(not a very good blood trail) for about 300 yards out into a field where I lost the trail in some really thick tall grass. By now it is really late well after dark and I've been searching for a few hours when I decide to head out and come back early Sunday morning to look some more. If I actually do find something and the meat isn't spoiled or the coyotes haven't eaten it it would be a miracle.

I'm completely sick about it and I'm beating myself up for taking the shot at the 2nd nilgai. It was a shot I felt very confident in and I was sure I'd find the first one quickly but now I'm second guessing everything. I've never in my life lost an animal until this hunt.

I knew nilgai were tough animals although I've never hunted anything other than whitetails. Because of this I actually decided to hunt with my crossbow this week. I brought the compound as well and was hoping if I got a nilgai early on with the crossbow I would switch and try to get a hog or deer with the compound bow. I haven't had a compound bow for too long and just felt more confident trying to shoot something as big and tough as the nilgai with the crossbow and didn't want to risk it with a bow. I was shooting 125 grain QAD Exodus broadheads and now I'm second guessing that. They seem to be heavy duty little broad heads but the lack of blood trails has been disappointing. I'm sure it was probably my fault and the shots may not be as good as I thought they were and has nothing to do with the equipment.

I can't sleep and I'll be back out there in a couple of hours searching...
Old 11-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #71
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Rough night, very tough animal so donít beat yourself up. Also hard to track in that high grass at night. Hope you find at least one of them and if you do, yes the work is just beginning. Pack it out in pieces. Good luck

Old 11-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #72
Lucky333
Spike

Quote:

I can't sleep and I'll be back out there in a couple of hours searching...

I left a pm with my number in case you need a hand.

Good luck

Old 11-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #73
Phorizt
Six Point

Quote:
I left a pm with my number in case you need a hand.

Good luck

Just saw this... i appreciate the offer. I followed the blood trail about 1000 yards as the crow flies and walked 4 miles doing it but eventually lost it for good so Iím headed home now.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #74
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

Anyone else hunting this weeks hunt? I’ll be down Wednesday
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #75
jhuddleston
Ten Point

What roads are y'all parking on to walk in?
Old 11-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #76
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuddleston View Post
What roads are y'all parking on to walk in?
You can park on any of the county roads. Just make sure you donít block any part of the road or you will get a ticket
Old 11-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #77
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

And don't have any beer in your ice chest or corn in your truck even if parked on the side of the road..The feds like to give tickets and I learned the hard way. Good luck to you guys-weather should have them moving.
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #78
yanta61
Ten Point

Was cutting it pretty close but was able to make it down and scout around a little this evening. Must have rained pretty good this morning, road are pretty muddy. Hopefully the animals are moving in the morning.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #79
jhuddleston
Ten Point

Anyone have luck this last weekend?
Old 11-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #80
yanta61
Ten Point

I shot a doe , spike and cow. Sucks I could find the cow until the next day and she was pretty ripe.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #81
jhuddleston
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanta61 View Post
I shot a doe , spike and cow. Sucks I could find the cow until the next day and she was pretty ripe.
Did you see decent numbers of Nilgai?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #82
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuddleston View Post
Did you see decent numbers of Nilgai?
Think I saw 4 total. I pretty much stayed sitting all day long and only walked out to the truck for about an hour to eat.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #83
Brown E
Four Point

I did not see anything in regulations but is there a blaze orange requirement when walking in and out during an archery hunt here? I have only done gun hunts so far.
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #84
Phorizt
Six Point

Yes it is in the hunt info that they email to you

Old 11-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #85
JoelBRice
Nubbin' Buck

Can anyone tell me what kind of shape the county roads and designated parking areas are in? I am trying to decide wether I can take my car and just park in the designated areas or if I need to take the truck, it’s a long drive for me so trying to save some gas $$, car is not 4 wheel drive.
JoelBRice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 01:10 AM   #86
Phorizt
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBRice View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of shape the county roads and designated parking areas are in? I am trying to decide wether I can take my car and just park in the designated areas or if I need to take the truck, itís a long drive for me so trying to save some gas $$, car is not 4 wheel drive.
This pic is what CR 20 and 30 are like(itís a pic of CR30). Car would be iffy imo as clearance would be an issue where the ruts are eroded in places and if it rains it could be a mess. But CR 10 is a real caliche road and a car would be fine there. Youíre just limited to only a few parking areas(ok for cars) so you wouldnt really have access to hunt a lot of the refuge.

Name:  IMG_3532.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  79.2 KB

Old 11-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #87
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBRice View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of shape the county roads and designated parking areas are in? I am trying to decide wether I can take my car and just park in the designated areas or if I need to take the truck, itís a long drive for me so trying to save some gas $$, car is not 4 wheel drive.
If you stay on 10 your car will be fine. There are some mud holes along the back cr road. It rained the day before our hunt and it was pretty sloppy across the back and down 30.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #88
JoelBRice
Nubbin' Buck

Default Thanks

Quote:
This pic is what CR 20 and 30 are like(itís a pic of CR30). Car would be iffy imo as clearance would be an issue where the ruts are eroded in places and if it rains it could be a mess. But CR 10 is a real caliche road and a car would be fine there. Youíre just limited to only a few parking areas(ok for cars) so you wouldnt really have access to hunt a lot of the refuge.

Attachment 981892

Sounds like I need to bring the truck haha will just have to get over the diesel bill, thanks for the info and quick reply!
Old 11-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #89
JoelBRice
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanta61 View Post
If you stay on 10 your car will be fine. There are some mud holes along the back cr road. It rained the day before our hunt and it was pretty sloppy across the back and down 30.
Thank you for the info! Will probably just have to get over the diesel bill, thank you!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:49 PM   #90
HuntorFish
Spike

So who will be down for the next hunt? Our group will be down 4th-8th. As of now weather looks fairly warm and no rain.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #91
HuntorFish
Spike

Scouted today things are looking pretty good a lot of wildlife around.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #92
DAY1
Four Point

Foggy start this morning. Saw 1 bull nilgai at 50 yds but no shot.
DAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #93
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

What's the activity looming like at Teniente these past 2 days guys?
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #94
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Hope yíall put some down

Old 12-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #95
HuntorFish
Spike

It was a great hunt even though I ended up not shooting anything. Saw probably 25-30 nilgai over the entire time. Most of them while I was walking around trying to stalk a few which really turned more into exploring/scouting but did have some close encounters with a few but between fog a few mornings and thick brush couldnít get a shot off. saw a bunch of whitetail. Thereís some nice bucks out there. Also saw a scimitar oryx not sure where he came from. Loved using OnX app for the first time and it helped a ton. Place didnít seem over crowded and after talking to quite a few people I know of at least 3 bulls were taken during this hunt period. Definitely will be putting in again for this hunt. Overall weather was good, like no wind everyday, and I learned a lot about the hunt area. Good luck to those on upcoming hunts.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #96
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Wow that does sound memorable

Old 12-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #97
HuntorFish
Spike

I am sure I just missed them since I spent most of the time in the field but never saw a game warden or border patrol vehicle on the refuge. Rattlesnakes are around also so be careful.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #98
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

You guys could use some corn
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #99
mags84
Spike

Hunt In: TX and PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
You guys could use some corn
Nilgai wont even look at corn anyway..My lease borders Teniette and have never seen them touch it or deer protein. Not even fresh cut alfalfa. Good luck out there, wish I got selected, were only allowed one nilgai/year (landowner rules) and the meat is great. My family can eat a 400pounder in 6months.
mags84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #100
txhoghunter73
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.

I can’t wait to get down there and stick one
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top