Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default Barrett 6.5 Swede load workup is done I think...

I've had this Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Swede for a little over a year now. I mounted a Swarovski Z3 3.5-10X42 on it and have been working on load recipes off and on. I haven't been able to work on it as much as I wanted to or this would have been done a long time ago. I've got two loads to work with but I'm gonna stick with the 130 Scirocco/42.5 IMR 4350/Rem 9-1/2 for awhile. This is a four shot group after getting the barrel fouled. I had cleaned it down to bare metal and it took a little while to settle back in and these were the last 4 rounds I took with me. Velocity is 2660 FPS. This is the second time I've shot this load and got under .5 MOA.

Name:  IMG_0683 (3).jpg
Views: 169
Size:  79.3 KB

I've been playing around with the 130 Accubond as well. It shot so well in my 7/08 that I thought I'd try it in the Swede. 47.5 RL-19/CCI 200 and I was pleasantly surprised. Velocity is right at 2770 fps.

Name:  IMG_0675.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  55.2 KB
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
ahlongslide
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

Great shooting!
I love my Fieldcraft in 6.5CM. Mine shoots amazingly well with the weight of an Omega 762 on the end and Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. I just need to reverse engineer that factory load for handloads.
ahlongslide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Thanks! I don't have a can on mine and being that the rifle is extremely light makes shooting for group a challenge. When shooting off the bench in load development I have to modify my shooting form just a little to keep the groups tight. In the field, it hasn't mattered.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
ahlongslide
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

Yeah, I was shooting it with a Specwar can on the end and it was more finicky on my hold. I had to be very careful on the way I held it to get consistent shots. I think the Omega must be the perfect weight to hit an accuracy node or something. It's much easier to group. Even with a scope, can, ammo and sling it still weighs less than 7.5#.
I wish they would come out with a 6.5PRC or SAUM
It just hit me that your first group is smaller center to center than the diameter of the projectile, that's amazing! Congrats again!
ahlongslide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Yeah, I know! The first group I had with that exact load was .185. You could hardly tell there were 3 shots. It looked more like a bug hole. I wasn't sure if it was the actual load or maybe I flinched just right when the guy next to me started blasting away with his .308 AR. I think this time the load is confirmed. And that Scirocco is one bad arse bullet.