Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #651
Whalerboy67
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
My biggest sighting was NOT the doe that came and laid up four yards from me not realizing I was there. (Took that one home with me) or the three nilgai bulls that I missed, or all the nilgai that were out of range.

My biggest sighting was this 65 year old hunter out in unit 3 asking to borrow my game cart. I rode up on him on the rode and he says "do you mind putting that cart to good use". I said you shot one? He says yes it is right over there. You should have seen the bow he was using. All this hype of these new bows, this man was using a bow that was almost 30 years old. Got a clean pass through and we could not find the arrow. We loaded up the doe onto the game cart and I started the 4.5 my bike ride back to the gate. He offered to pull the cart but I insisted that I take it. About halfway there he insisted that he help haul out the animal. I finally said okay go ahead. I was thinking to myself he will ask me to take over here in a bit. Well was I surprised.

For all you hunters thinking you may be too old. This 65 year old man biked out for over two miles against the wind like a young buck chasing a hot doe. It was impressive to see.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Did I understand from your post you were pulling the game cart with the bike? If so would you mind sharing your setup? Trying to figure out my setup for next weekend. Thanks
Whalerboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #652
Green feathers
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFireFighter View Post
I was the one that found the dead cow and for your information I did actually look for the hunter. By 2pm the next day(75 deg and in direct sunlight), the cow was bloated, full of flys and it hair was slipping. There was no salvaging it at all or I would have made the 2 mile trek out in an attempt to save it for the hunter. Having killed several Nilgai myself, I know how difficult they are to kill and how much of a prize it would have been. I went by the check station the next 2 evenings in an attempt to locate the hunter so I could share the location of the cow and his arrow. These were my only opportunities as we arrive early and sit all day in the field. But by all means go ahead and keep assuming.
TxFireFight. First off I want to thank you for service you provide to our community.
Secondly thanks for locating my misfortune.
I am curious on how far she ran from where I shot. I still would like to know even for being a few weeks old news. I new to this site since the hunt and trying to get around here and find posts and info.
Tried to send an email but I guess I'm to new they want more posts before emailing.
Thanks again for the info.
Green feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #653
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
Did I understand from your post you were pulling the game cart with the bike? If so would you mind sharing your setup? Trying to figure out my setup for next weekend. Thanks
This is what I did last year. I will do the same this year. Wasn't bad at all.
Name:  ref.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  96.0 KB
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #654
RGV Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
I will take some pics when I get home tomorrow.
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #655
Whalerboy67
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks guys. Nice set up Buckshot.
Whalerboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #656
Bryan2014
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard County, Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
Every single morning? That's something I've never heard of before.
Sounded strange to me too, I donít whether thatís true or not. Just what I heard.
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #657
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green feathers View Post
TxFireFight. First off I want to thank you for service you provide to our community.

Secondly thanks for locating my misfortune.

I am curious on how far she ran from where I shot. I still would like to know even for being a few weeks old news. I new to this site since the hunt and trying to get around here and find posts and info.

Tried to send an email but I guess I'm to new they want more posts before emailing.

Thanks again for the info.
Thanks. I sent you a PM with a map view of where I found her.
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #658
jronning77
Spike

I'll be solo hunting 11/22-11/26 I'd be interested in helping pack out anyone that needs help just to check out one of these beast up close and personal. If anyone downs an animal or gets crazy lucky and downs multiple and needs an extra set of hands/eyes grid searching or to finish packing out to avoid spoilage I would'nt mind helping and sharing contact info. Have a pretty nice non-Ebike �� trailer set up so it should make it a little smoother. Also wouldn't mind grabbing a beer or two with dinner after a hard days hunting with like minded hunters possibly strategizing and sharing intel.
jronning77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #659
CAP
Spike

Question, how are you guys getting up in trees if you canít hang stands? Just climbing? How far off the ground do you get?
CAP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #660
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP View Post
Question, how are you guys getting up in trees if you canít hang stands? Just climbing? How far off the ground do you get?
If you can find a good, solid tree, you can probably get about 2 feet up
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #661
rolylane6
Four Point

Quote:
Never been there but looking at where it is, on the lower Laguna Madre, I'm guessing you would have to bring your own tree?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #662
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
A couple guys wore harnesses for some that I showed them, if that tells you much. Other trees just a few feet, which is all you need. Don't count on finding many in most places

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #663
Bowhunter1994
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Those of you asking what kinda stand , is HD best luck with 6-8í aluminum tripod. Why aluminum ? Because you have to carry these stands miles if you wanna go back in there.
Bowhunter1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #664
ppeeks59
Nubbin' Buck

There were zero climb-able trees in the north end where I was hunting. Zero. Any tree that had potentially weight-bearing branches also had 3-inch stilletto knives sticking out of its trunk and every branch. Plus here's more fun: a swarm of Africanized honey bees invaded and passed through the little area I was sitting in, and swarmed into and then out of the few taller trees around me. I was pretty frightened, knowing that if the swarm turned in my direction there wasn't a whole lot I was going to be able to do about it. I just sat as quietly and as motionless as possible until the swarm moved on.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #665
hound dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
"If you climb it, They will come"

Unless you weigh 200 plus, then your better off climbing the fence post. Not many trees in the good areas will support that weight. If you can get off the ground 6' or better, that would help. They hardly look up. I have had a spike and doe walk under my 6' tripod in the past. Lightweight tripods are always the best to take in and set up.
(956)281-1863 this guy Makes light weight rigs. His name is Dean, lives in Harlingen which is 20minutes from refuge.
Good luck.
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #666
piercebronkite
Spike

Hunt In: South Texas, West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
Those of you asking what kinda stand , is HD best luck with 6-8í aluminum tripod. Why aluminum ? Because you have to carry these stands miles if you wanna go back in there.

I brought a Millenium T-100 which is an all aluminum tripod but only used it twice. I found that a chair brushed in gave me better options and allowed me to be more mobile. Hauling it in wasnít an issue since I had a mtb bike and a custom made bike cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #667
GBludau
Eight Point

Selling drop pins to the highest bidder.

Bids start at $1,000.00

Old 11-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #668
RGV Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercebronkite View Post
I brought a Millenium T-100 which is an all aluminum tripod but only used it twice. I found that a chair brushed in gave me better options and allowed me to be more mobile. Hauling it in wasnít an issue since I had a mtb bike and a custom made bike cart.

That's how I have hunted for years. No blind or tripod just a compact chair with a seatback for comfort. The chair fits inside my back pack and my bow is strapped on top of it. Completely hands free. Pack in light and hopefully if everything goes well pack out heavy.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #669
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Selling drop pins to the highest bidder.

Bids start at $1,000.00

I will throat punch you in the wageena if you give away the hot spots!

Won’t as hard if you split any funds with us!!! Lol
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #670
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post

Wonít as hard if you split any funds with us!!! Lol
Them spots are all mine! Lol you know **** well I wouldn't give those spots up for $1,000. Maybe $10,000 for a just one

Old 11-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #671
jronning77
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound dog View Post
"If you climb it, They will come"

Unless you weigh 200 plus, then your better off climbing the fence post. Not many trees in the good areas will support that weight. If you can get off the ground 6' or better, that would help. They hardly look up. I have had a spike and doe walk under my 6' tripod in the past. Lightweight tripods are always the best to take in and set up.
(956)281-1863 this guy Makes light weight rigs. His name is Dean, lives in Harlingen which is 20minutes from refuge.
Good luck.

How much $$$ do these tripods normally run? Pictures ?
jronning77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #672
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:

I mean those nilgai are already dead... lol
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #673
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Them spots are all mine! Lol you know **** well I wouldn't give those spots up for $1,000. Maybe $10,000 for a just one

Hahah I know.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #674
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:

Fight!
I'd pay to see that.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #675
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Fight!
I'd pay to see that.
No save your PPV money! I actually know the spots and Iím like cheaper than dirt! 😂
Old 11-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #676
GBludau
Eight Point

PBUCKSHOT-
Yeah, I was told you hunt guys that actually know what they are doing and follow them in to find out where they are hunting...makes sense. Real cool bro.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #677
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Quote:
PBUCKSHOT-
Yeah, I was told you hunt guys that actually know what they are doing and follow them in to find out where they are hunting...makes sense. Real cool bro.

Good ol Jesse talking it up again. That's actually a pretty funny visual, someone following a hunter in the brush I sure hope you're smarter than that little fella and know better
Old 11-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #678
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
Good ol Jesse talking it up again. That's actually a pretty funny visual, someone following a hunter in the brush I sure hope you're smarter than that little fella and know better
I gotta call a chump public land hunter out when they ask for it and tell them they can get it any time, little buddy.

Work for something yourself. Pathetic.

C'EST LA VIE

Old 11-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #679
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Quote:
I gotta call a chump public land hunter out when they ask for it and tell them they can get it any time, little buddy.

Work for something yourself. Pathetic.

C'EST LA VIE

It seems that you have made up some kind of "elite" public land group ever since the guy you named "Laguna Master" pointed you to the back side of Unit 1. I've been talking trash with your "Master" before you stepped foot back there man. Heck we've spent hours looking for some deer he conrndogged. I was joking and suggest you tone it down or send me a PM and I'd be glad to address this if you have a problem.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #680
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
It seems that you have made up some kind of "elite" public land group ever since the guy you named "Laguna Master" pointed you to the back side of Unit 1. I've been talking trash with your "Master" before you stepped foot back there man. Heck we've spent hours looking for some deer he conrndogged. I was joking and suggest you tone it down or send me a PM and I'd be glad to address this if you have a problem.
Ha, backside of 1, really shows what you don't know. No one pointed me any where and that can be easily proved. No need to. Funny how you'd like to assimilate that, especially from a guy who is known to creep another guy to find out the spots that they put the leg work in for. Suggest what you want, I ain't toning down for no chump.
PM me if you need a spot, I'll send you a pin...

Good luck! You better make that chalkboard with something exceptional, don't let us down in those spots. Wouldn't want to ruin your rep.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #681
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ha, backside of 1, really shows what you don't know. No one pointed me any where and that can be easily proved. No need to. Funny how you'd like to assimilate that, especially from a guy who is known to creep another guy to find out the spots that they put the leg work in for. Suggest what you want, I ain't toning down for no chump.
PM me if you need a spot, I'll send you a pin...

Good luck! You better make that chalkboard with something exceptional, don't let us down in those spots. Wouldn't want to ruin your rep.

He talks a good smack and got you believing so I gotta give him credit. Cool to see he has a follower. The whole creeping other hunters is pretty dang funny. We'd probably get arrested if someone found our phones and saw the smack over the years. I'm not worried about no chalkboard that gets erased every year either. Hey but im not gonna go back and forth just cuz you got your panties in a wad over a joke man. I'll see you around
Old 11-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #682
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Now, now children!!! Hahahahahaha
Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #683
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Now, now children!!! Hahahahahaha
Hey now. Only people that put in their work solo need apply in this discussion sir!
Old 11-12-2019, 01:29 AM   #684
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #685
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

This is suppose to be a thread about hunting Atascosa, not about egos. If you are reading this it's because you have interest in public hunting. Some of us hunt for the meat and some for bragging rights and rub it in others faces not knowing they're doing it. Cest le vie.
I'm sure Greg got hundreds of requests for intel (I was one) and it's up to him to decide who to share it with. He can't work with everyone. I personally will share info if I'm not in the current hunt or have it upcoming. I don't mind sharing info because I've received lots of info from awesome TBHers, including spots and areas at Hagerman where I had a chance to shoot the biggest buck of my life.
So let's get back on track. Good luck to the hunters this weekend. It should be good weather and this latest front should get the animals moving more. I'll be out there the following5 day hunt. Hit me up if you need some help.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #686
GBludau
Eight Point

WHAT? I'm just keeping this thread interesting! It's good entertainment!

Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #687
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #688
Jspradley
Ten Point

Did we end up determining who had the biggest Laguna peepee????
Old 11-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #689
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post

Hahahaha, good one..
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #690
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:

Let the audience be the judge!

Old 11-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #691
CAP
Spike

Attached Images

CAP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #692
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey now. Only people that put in their work solo need apply in this discussion sir!
lol I'm always solo.
Quote:
With the weather today, I bet they all have the same size
Old 11-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #693
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
lol I'm always solo.

Speak for yourself, they donít call me Bigred for no reason
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #694
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
lol I'm always solo.

Hahaha, you're not solo anymore homie and all the Laguna peepees have retreated!

Old 11-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #695
Jspradley
Ten Point

Laguna? More like lagone-a!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #696
boweye
Six Point

True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less!
boweye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #697
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Iíll admit that I was poking, knowing heíd jump on. Definitely not a measuring contest for me so no Team or master labeling here. Hard to tell if someone is full of themselves or just and old fashioned smack talker sometimes by reading. I apologize for derailing. Wonít do that again gentlemen. Good luck to everyone. See you all out there soon if Godís willing.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #698
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Quote:
lol i'm always solo.:d

with the weather today, i bet they all have the same size:d:d
:d:d:d
Old 11-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #699
caalexander4
Four Point

Yíall got anymore of them rifle spots. Somehow I pulled a rifle tag on my first year applying. I found spots during the archery hunt that nilgai in bow range so I should be good. But I will always take advice.

caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #700
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Speak for yourself, they donít call me Bigred for no reason
Not what I heard
Quote:
Hahaha, you're not solo anymore homie and all the Laguna peepees have retreated!

I've never been solo. I just needed you there to pack out my deer for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caalexander4 View Post
Yíall got anymore of them rifle spots. Somehow I pulled a rifle tag on my first year applying. I found spots during the archery hunt that nilgai in bow range so I should be good. But I will always take advice.

Best advice I got is, don't shoot a nilgai on the north side of unit 3 there was guy who shot one with an arrow and it died 10 yards from Thomae park. long arse pack out