Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #101
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULL21 View Post
I killed 3 doe yesterday afternoon with the 6.5 with 143 grain eld-x. The first 2 at 265 and 295 yards dropped in their tracks. The last was shot at 731yds and only went 40 yards. My buddy shot one at 400 yds that went 50 yards with a blown shoulder. His 15 year old son shot one at 675 yds that went approximately 50 yds. Incredible damage from this round with large exit wounds
Yes but what youíre seeing here is that the bullet needs to slow down in order to perform. It need to be shot at distance.
hoyt21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #102
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I killed 3 doe yesterday afternoon with the 6.5 with 143 grain eld-x. The first 2 at 265 and 295 yards dropped in their tracks. The last was shot at 731yds and only went 40 yards. My buddy shot one at 400 yds that went 50 yards with a blown shoulder. His 15 year old son shot one at 675 yds that went approximately 50 yds. Incredible damage from this round with large exit wounds
My experience as well. I recently shot a pronghorn with the 6.5 PRC Eldx at 400 yards. The shot was on the mark. The vitals were blown out like a crater, like a v shaped crater. I seriously could of field dressed him through the hole.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #103
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
Yes but what youíre seeing here is that the bullet needs to slow down in order to perform. It need to be shot at distance.
I agree that it performs better at 250+ yards, but I disagree that itís not effective at closer distances. A well placed shot will be just as effective as other rounds.
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #104
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

7mm 162 gr. ELDX through a 500 lb. antelope from 20 yards.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #105
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
I agree that it performs better at 250+ yards, but I disagree that itís not effective at closer distances. A well placed shot will be just as effective as other rounds.
Yep. I have used the 143 out of my Saum at around 3100fps and had great results from 100-515yds
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #106
TB80
Ten Point

I don't have any personal experience with the ELDX. However, both on this thread and on other hunting forums (blasphemy, I know), I have seen a similar disagreement about the effectiveness of the round. It seems some people love it and others are not happy with how it works.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #107
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB80 View Post
on forums I have seen disagreement
FIFY
Specific and universal at the same time!
Old 11-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #108
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Eldx precision hunter loaded ammo in 6.5PRC was bad medicine for this Aoudad opening day of the General season. I hit him at 150yds quartering away and the bullet passed through vitals and ended under the skin in the neck on the opposite side. He ran probably 50 yards and dropped dead.

Name:  Adjustments.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  147.5 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #109
Ryan81
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Iím not a fan of it. Iím shooting it out of .260 Remington. Iíve killed 2 bucks, 1 doe, and 1 spike to go along with 15+ hogs.

Most of the hogs were head/neck shots. I had two deer DRT and two run about 40-50 yards. Had a small exit hole on all the deer with little blood.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #110
bphillips
Pope & Young

I’m starting to think people expect them to act like a ballistic tip. It’s not that type of bullet
Old 11-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #111
BULL21
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Iím not a fan of it. Iím shooting it out of .260 Remington. Iíve killed 2 bucks, 1 doe, and 1 spike to go along with 15+ hogs.

Most of the hogs were head/neck shots. I had two deer DRT and two run about 40-50 yards. Had a small exit hole on all the deer with little blood.

Youíve killed 19+ animals with the bullet, and youíre not a fan. What are you expecting from a bullet?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #112
B&C
Four Point

Hunt In: Maverick County

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureagg View Post
Here are my thoughts on the ELDX and from my experience. I had heard great things about them. So my dad and I both used them. His in 6.5cm mine in 308. We both shot deer last year. Mine at 120 yards his at 20 yards. Neither of us had exits. Both deer dropped in tracks. I have shot multiple pigs and big pigs 200+lb ones that they have dropped in their tracks. But never any blood that would’ve been trackable.

These bullets hit HARD. But you better hope that the animal does not run or you are in trouble.

These were initially designed for long range hunting 150yards plus from a hornady rep I met.

Exactly my experience. I had great expectations for them. Most shots under 120yds were problematic, bullet expanded too fast. Past 120 worked great. I had 2 does under 100yds that the coyotes found before me. No blood after 20 yds.

We shoot between 50-80 deer per year on our MLD and test a lot of bullets. ELD-X are off the list with a few others.

My personal preferences (6.5 creed is my favorite round):
Barnes Triple Shocks and GMX perform the best if the rifle will shoot them. SST's shoot well in most rifles and perform well, tougher than a Nosler BT.
Sierra GameKing's shoot well in every rifle I've loaded them for and are deadly (not a marketing favorite).
Nosler Ballistic Tips are a super accurate choice in most rifles and work extremely well under 3000 fps.

Currently shooting Elite Hunters in 6.5, they are the most accurate loads I've tested in that rifle. They're too long for the magazine is the down side. The field testing is still under review (not enough shoulder shots at different distances yet). Also testing some 7-08 hand loads with Federal Fusion 140's and Hornady Interbond 140's this weekend.
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #113
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&C View Post
Exactly my experience. I had great expectations for them. Most shots under 120yds were problematic, bullet expanded too fast. Past 120 worked great. I had 2 does under 100yds that the coyotes found before me. No blood after 20 yds.

We shoot between 50-80 deer per year on our MLD and test a lot of bullets. ELD-X are off the list with a few others.

Barnes Triple Shocks and GMX perform the best if the rifle will shoot them. SST's shoot well in most rifles and perform well, tougher than a Nosler BT.
Sierra GameKing's shoot well in every rifle I've loaded them for and are deadly (not a marketing favorite).
Nosler Ballistic Tips are a super accurate choice in most rifles and work extremely well under 3000 fps.

Currently shooting Elite Hunters in 6.5, they are the most accurate loads I've tested in that rifle. They're too long for the magazine is the down side. The field testing is still under review (not enough shoulder shots at different distances yet). Also testing some 7-08 hand loads with Federal Fusion 140's and Hornady Interbond 140's this weekend.
I would be interested in your results with the Hornady Interbond in the 7-08, also would like to know why you have not mentioned Accubonds?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #114
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Love the 143 eld X out of my 6.5cm. So does my son. Although I neck shoot all my deer, itís been devastating. My son has shot several hogs and dropped everyone in its tracks.

ďThere's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.Ē -Fred Bear-
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #115
B&C
Four Point

Default Accubonds

I couldn't get the accubonds to shoot in 2 different 6.5's. My Bergara Ridge has shot 7 different bullets under .5" and I could barely get them down to an inch with an unexplained flyer too frequently. The ELDX and SST accuracy has been very good in every rifle I've tested so I wanted to try the Interbond to insure a drain hole. Federal just released the Fusion bullet for hand loaders this year and I have high expectations for it. Folks were pulling them from factory ammo and selling the bullets. They're also surprisingly cheap at $0.23/ea from midway (140gr .284's). TSX, GMX, ELDX, etc can be $0.75/ea and come in boxes of 50. I'm out of bullets before I finish testing a stubborn rifle!

Last edited by B&C; 11-11-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #116
Ryan81
Ten Point

Default 143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Quote:
Youíve killed 19+ animals with the bullet, and youíre not a fan. What are you expecting from a bullet?
Lets not use the head/neck shot on the hogs as a reliable indicator of bullet performance.

The bullet worked for whitetail but there was no need to track. What if the deer ran 150-200+ yards in this years waist high broom weed?

I want a bullet that will leave a blood trail. Based on my observations along with several negative posts in this thread, Iím just going to use it for hogs or target shooting from now on. Iíll pick up something else for whitetail.

Edit: If a Broadhead resulted in 4 dead deer but little to no blood trail, would you continue using it?

I didnít read every post but what is your opinion of the bullet?

Last edited by Ryan81; 11-12-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #117
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:

Barnes Triple Shocks and GMX perform the best if the rifle will shoot them.
Wait a second-- you think the ELD-X, which is designed for 50-60% retention, doesn't perform well under 120 yards on white tails and your answer is a monolithic copper alloy bullet designed for 95% retention?
That don't make no sense!
Old 11-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #118
Arrowflinger84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Spikezilla

Hornady SST 6.5 creedmoor, .270, .30-06 and .22-250 all make great entrance and exit holes at all ranges.
Arrowflinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #119
TexAg07
Four Point

If you are disappointed in the performance of ELD-X bullets due to lack of blood trail after average range shots then you are not understanding what the ELD-X was intended to do.
TexAg07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #120
str8ght
Four Point

Im on the 140 bthp band wagon. Great exit wounds and short tracking jobs. Even started shooting them in my grendel and have gotten same results compared to old faithful 123 sst. My creedmoor seems to really love bthp and shoots very poorly with eld-x and the white tails. Wifes 260 is outstanding with Berger's! Shot multiple animals with that one as well shooting eld-x and it pushed the issue to try something else.
str8ght is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #121
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ght View Post
Im on the 140 bthp band wagon. Great exit wounds and short tracking jobs. Even started shooting them in my grendel and have gotten same results compared to old faithful 123 sst. My creedmoor seems to really love bthp and shoots very poorly with eld-x and the white tails. Wifes 260 is outstanding with Berger's! Shot multiple animals with that one as well shooting eld-x and it pushed the issue to try something else.

The 140 bthp the same bullet used in the hornady black ammo 6.5cm? Because my rifle shoots that ammo amazingly. If so I may start reloading them instead. Accurate and a little cheaper.

ďThere's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.Ē -Fred Bear-
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #122
BULL21
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Lets not use the head/neck shot on the hogs as a reliable indicator of bullet performance.

The bullet worked for whitetail but there was no need to track. What if the deer ran 150-200+ yards in this years waist high broom weed?

I want a bullet that will leave a blood trail. Based on my observations along with several negative posts in this thread, Iím just going to use it for hogs or target shooting from now on. Iíll pick up something else for whitetail.

Edit: If a Broadhead resulted in 4 dead deer but little to no blood trail, would you continue using it?

I didnít read every post but what is your opinion of the bullet?

I have nothing but good results with the bullet. Iíve had up to golf ball size exit wounds in the lower ribcage

Where is your shot placement With this bullet. Many talk about high shoulder shots. Those shots are not as conducive to a great blood trail as a lower chest shot behind the shoulder.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #123
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barksdale

I started this thread to see what others have shot and how they performed in their 6.5ís. If you compare bullet performance by an animal being dead then I guess Iíll start shooting deer with my .22 in the head. Most anything will kill in exactly the right spot. These guns are what my daughters shoot and most shots will be under 100 yds. Yes all but one deer was an easy recovery but if they wouldíve ran any decent distance they sure would not have. Iím not worried about the perfect shot as much as the not so perfect shot.

I appreciate all of the responses of the different bullets. Iíll be trying a few different ones.

As with opinions everyone has one. My next thread will be mechanical vs fixed or rage vs something.

Good luck with whatever you shoot.
deep n the heat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #124
Ryan81
Ten Point

Quote:
I have nothing but good results with the bullet. Iíve had up to golf ball size exit wounds in the lower ribcage

Where is your shot placement With this bullet. Many talk about high shoulder shots. Those shots are not as conducive to a great blood trail as a lower chest shot behind the shoulder.
No shoulder shots on the WT. All were in the vitals with pretty square broadside shots.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #125
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Default 143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep n the heat View Post
I started this thread to see what others have shot and how they performed in their 6.5ís. If you compare bullet performance by an animal being dead then I guess Iíll start shooting deer with my .22 in the head. Most anything will kill in exactly the right spot. These guns are what my daughters shoot and most shots will be under 100 yds. Yes all but one deer was an easy recovery but if they wouldíve ran any decent distance they sure would not have. Iím not worried about the perfect shot as much as the not so perfect shot.

I appreciate all of the responses of the different bullets. Iíll be trying a few different ones.

As with opinions everyone has one. My next thread will be mechanical vs fixed or rage vs something.

Good luck with whatever you shoot.
Different bullets are designed for different thingsó just like broad heads. Guess what? Itís real hard to take a white tail with a guillotine designed to sever a turkeyís neck.
Put a bullet designed for 50% retention into heavy bone and itís going to blow up. Put a 95% retention bullet through the liver and you could be tracking that deer a long way if youíre able to find it. Put either through the high shoulder and blood trails are not very likely. The high shoulder shot is for putting an animal down where it stands.
No bullet is going to make up for poor shot placement any more than a high capacity case will.
How any of this is surprising or new is a mystery.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #126
travlinman
Four Point

Hunt In: Austin and Shackelford Counties

I've used the ELDX in my 308 with negative results. Two deer shot just behind shoulder left small exit wounds. Only one spec of blood to know they were hit. One was at 100 yards and the other at 220 yards. Both went about 50 yards and expired. I've since switched to the Federal Trophy bonded ammo and they work better for me.
travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #127
BULL21
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinman View Post
I've used the ELDX in my 308 with negative results. Two deer shot just behind shoulder left small exit wounds. Only one spec of blood to know they were hit. One was at 100 yards and the other at 220 yards. Both went about 50 yards and expired. I've since switched to the Federal Trophy bonded ammo and they work better for me.
Iím confused with many on here talking about negative results from dead deer inside 50 yds. What does the Federal bullet do better? Just curious.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #128
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Iím confused with many on here talking about negative results from dead deer inside 50 yds. What does the Federal bullet do better? Just curious.

Not sure
Hornady and Federal are both 3 syllable words

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #129
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barksdale

Quote:

The confusion is that these bullets perform more like a fmj than a hunting bullet. Yes they kill but so will a rock as long as you hit it in the right spot. As you can read from many on here that have had the same results as me. I do not recall ever having no exit expansion with a core loc. They perform in the right situations but if I have to carry an assortment of bullets around depending on how far, how big, or what the barometric pressure is then I do not believe they are the right bullet for me.
deep n the heat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #130
bphillips
Pope & Young

I think I’ll use them on whitetail in Mexico this year and see what happens. Spoiler I know they will be great
Old 11-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #131
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

I just picked up a 6.5 in ruger American predator. I picked up a box of Hornady American Whitetail with 129 gr. interlock bullets. After cleaning it and mounting a scope I had on hand I got to the range. 6 shots later I had it zeroed with pretty good accuracy. I may buy another box and shoot some more letting the barrel break in while I get set up to load this caliber. I will be using the interlocks due to cost, and the fact that they have never failed me.
When I get to the point of stretching the range out, then I will look at the ELD, but probably not for hunting.
I really like the interlock in case you couldn't tell, but I do shoot different bullets. When I got a Tikka in 25-06 a few years ago I picked up some nolsler ballistic tips in 115 gr. very cheap. After some work up, this rifle really shoots the BT's well. Also it shoots 115 gr partitions well. 100gr TTSX soot well too. And it carried over to a weatherby mkv ultralite in 25-06 I got recently. After dealing with a bad scope and maybe action screw torque issues it shoots the same loads even better. The only thing I worry about is the BT's close range performance at the 25-06 velocities (3050 fps or so). I know the interlock will perform at 7mm mag 139 gr. velocities (3100 fps +).
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #132
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep n the heat View Post
The confusion is that these bullets perform more like a fmj than a hunting bullet.
Well that's confusing, since most people's complaints are that they blow up and do not exit-- exactly opposite of an FMJ hole punch.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #133
BULL21
Eight Point

Inside 350-400 yards, they’re supposed to make a large wound channel dumping 30-40% of their weight. Over 400+ yards, they only dump approximately 15% of their weight. Definitely not like a FMJ that would make the same size hole all the way through the animal(goggle the gel test with this round). Like them or not, they’re effective as most all post said that animals were found dead inside 50yds.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #134
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
Inside 350-400 yards, theyíre supposed to make a large wound channel dumping 30-40% of their weight. Over 400+ yards, they only dump approximately 15% of their weight. Definitely not like a FMJ that would make the same size hole all the way through the animal(goggle the gel test with this round). Like them or not, theyíre effective as most all post said that animals were found dead inside 50yds.
but no blood trail doe
Old 11-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #135
TxLonghorn
Spike

The eld x is a tough bullet so that he can stay together at further ranges. If you are hunting shorter distances or not a higher velocity than usual it’s not the right bullet. Inside 200 yards it wouldn’t be my go to bullet, with a shorter barrel it wouldn’t be my go to bullet. If I was building a gun that was designed to reach out and touch something than maybe.
TxLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #136
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

The people complaining are shooting them at velocities around 2700fps. With todays rifles, that's relatively slow. I have a problem understanding why they wont perform at near ranges and not far. If its coming apart moving that slow, its not a bullet I want to use.
I know they are finding the deer, but lots of scenarios where you don't find a deer without a blood trail.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #137
TxAg
Pope & Young

This thread has gotten goofy. Half the guys say it's a fragile bullet and half say it's too tough.
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #138
B&C
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Wait a second-- you think the ELD-X, which is designed for 50-60% retention, doesn't perform well under 120 yards on white tails and your answer is a monolithic copper alloy bullet designed for 95% retention?
That don't make no sense!
They blow up and down exit. No drain hole. They stop bleeding pretty quick. It kills them but they're hard to find, especially with a late afternoon shot. Mono's always exit and turn everything in the wound channel to jelly...
Old 11-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #139
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
This thread has gotten goofy. Half the guys say it's a fragile bullet and half say it's too tough.
Exactly... I know less about this bullet now than I did before following this thread. It either blows up on impact.....or pencils through.....or performs perfectly. Letís face it, iíd say 90% of us rarely shoot deer or hogs over 200 yards. If this bullet wasnít designed for that.....lots of folks are using the wrong bullet
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #140
BULL21
Eight Point

Quote:
They blow up and down exit. No drain hole. They stop bleeding pretty quick. It kills them but they're hard to find, especially with a late afternoon shot. Mono's always exit and turn everything in the wound channel to jelly...
They donít stop bleeding at all. Thatís the reason that only a couple of posts have said anything about losing a deer, which can happen with any bullet. The bulletís is optimally designed for longer range(300+) If you shoot inside 200 yds, then shoot something else.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #141
Radar
Pope & Young

https://www.hornady.com/support/faqs...ith-eld-bullet

1600fps, so get out your ballistic chart and look at what yardage your caliber is below 1600fps that is the point at where you could have a failure on expansion and or performance. Not rocket science here boys and I am probably the dumbest guy on TBH.

All bullet manufacturers will have terminal ballistic information on their bullets. It aint that hard to figure out, then again you got to hit that animal in the right spot too. Hornady, Speer, and Sierra put out a lot of information on bullet design. Do a little reading and figure out what you want your bullet to do. I use old junky Sierra Game Kings and Speer HotCor flat base in a lot of my rifles. I use a bonded bullets in my magnums, and I do use Berger in some of my hot rods.

Aint no need in a VLD bullet with a high BC if you shooting things under 300 yards, its a waste of money. Flat base bullets are typically more accurate under 300 yards too and a boat tail aint gonna help you out under 300 yards. If you do not prep your cases right for reloading, a flat base will give you problems.

I want to say a lot more but gonna stop or some yayhoo will get offended.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #142
TB80
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
[url]Flat base bullets are typically more accurate under 300 yards too and a boat tail aint gonna help you out under 300 yards.
Forgive me for my question as I am admittedly ignorant on this subject, but why would flat base bullets be more accurate under 300 yards? It wouldn't make sense to me that a bullet would be less accurate within 300 yards (versus a comparable bullet) and then be more accurate after 300 yards. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night so maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #143
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Letís face it, iíd say 90% of us rarely shoot deer or hogs over 200 yards. If this bullet wasnít designed for that.....lots of folks are using the wrong bullet
solid point

That said I shot the second and third animal with my 24" 6.5 and the 143. 201# boar dropped like a wet rag. I know where I was aiming but was unable to find an entrance or an exit (but he was pretty rank and I didn't look terribly hard). He was at about 130 yards

Third animal was a decent sized east tx buck around 115 ish. Apparently he was quartered away just a hair and bullet entered just behind shoulder and exited opposite side center shoulder. There wasn't much difference in the entrance and exit hole. Bullet absolutely devastated internals and the shoulder meat for that matter. Not a lot of blood in the trail and he went about 40 yards.
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #144
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I'm a fan of the amax. They have not done me dirty yet and I have taken quite a few animals with them.

What kind of dog is that?
LeanMachine is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #145
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Forgive me for my question as I am admittedly ignorant on this subject, but why would flat base bullets be more accurate under 300 yards? It wouldn't make sense to me that a bullet would be less accurate within 300 yards (versus a comparable bullet) and then be more accurate after 300 yards. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night so maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Flat base bullets are easier to manufacture symmetrically, boat tails not so much. A flat square based bullet is more forgiving with a bad crown, boat tail takes longer to clear the muzzle blast gas and it can exaggerate the affects of bad crown. Here is a picture of what I mean.

Name:  Offcenter Boattail.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  60.2 KB

The main advantage boattails have is the higher ballistic coefficient, which means if you fired a flat base and a boat tail at the same velocity at a real long range target the boat tail would get there first and more accurate because of less exposure to the elements. Faster would be more better

There is more to it than that but I aint the guy to ask stuff like this, I just been around a lot of folks that have forgot more about it than I will ever know. High Power shooters, silhouette shooters and bench resters have shown me a lot over the years.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #146
TB80
Ten Point

Quote:
Flat base bullets are easier to manufacture symmetrically, boat tails not so much. A flat square based bullet is more forgiving with a bad crown, boat tail takes longer to clear the muzzle blast gas and it can exaggerate the affects of bad crown. Here is a picture of what I mean.

The main advantage boattails have is the higher ballistic coefficient, which means if you fired a flat base and a boat tail at the same velocity at a real long range target the boat tail would get there first and more accurate because of less exposure to the elements. Faster would be more better

There is more to it than that but I aint the guy to ask stuff like this, I just been around a lot of folks that have forgot more about it than I will ever know. High Power shooters, silhouette shooters and bench resters have shown me a lot over the years.
Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #147
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
I'm a fan of the amax. They have not done me dirty yet and I have taken quite a few animals with them.

What kind of dog is that?

I just switched to the A max. Shot a buck that weighed over 160lbs field dressed and he didnít go 30 yds. He was about 100yds away at the shot.

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #148
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
No problem, I just hate to post much technical stuff or anything intelligent on TBH.

Rather keep people thinking I am a total idiot, life is a lot easier that way.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #149
TxLonghorn
Spike

Quote:
https://www.hornady.com/support/faqs...ith-eld-bullet

1600fps, so get out your ballistic chart and look at what yardage your caliber is below 1600fps that is the point at where you could have a failure on expansion and or performance. Not rocket science here boys and I am probably the dumbest guy on TBH.

All bullet manufacturers will have terminal ballistic information on their bullets. It aint that hard to figure out, then again you got to hit that animal in the right spot too. Hornady, Speer, and Sierra put out a lot of information on bullet design. Do a little reading and figure out what you want your bullet to do. I use old junky Sierra Game Kings and Speer HotCor flat base in a lot of my rifles. I use a bonded bullets in my magnums, and I do use Berger in some of my hot rods.

Aint no need in a VLD bullet with a high BC if you shooting things under 300 yards, its a waste of money. Flat base bullets are typically more accurate under 300 yards too and a boat tail aint gonna help you out under 300 yards. If you do not prep your cases right for reloading, a flat base will give you problems.

I want to say a lot more but gonna stop or some yayhoo will get offended.

In theory your right, but their seems to be some evidence that you need more than 1600 for reliable expansion. I think the 143x is a good bullet itís just not good for creed. In some of the hotter 6.5 it would do better imo.
TxLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #150
TxAg
Pope & Young

Has anyone confirmed that this is a bonded bullet? I didn't think it was
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top