Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #401
hogman$
Six Point
 
hogman$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Seminole
Hunt In: West texas
Default


Got everything loaded but the kitchen sink hunting public land for the next seven days anybody else out here this weekend ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hogman$ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #402
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogman$ View Post

Got everything loaded but the kitchen sink hunting public land for the next seven days anybody else out here this weekend ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trying Caddo in the morning. Never been there. Going in blind with the exception on OnX. Good luck!
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 06:46 AM   #403
hogman$
Six Point
 
hogman$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Seminole
Hunt In: West texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
Trying Caddo in the morning. Never been there. Going in blind with the exception on OnX. Good luck!


Iíve always wondered about that place itís just a bit far for me but best of luck to you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hogman$ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #404
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Another mature crab claw 8 pt. was killed yesterday evening. There have been some really nice bucks killed in the last few days.

If you'd like to see the pictures, join this FB page. Be sure and answer the three simple questions. Just add TBH to a response and I'll approve you. Be sure and read the page rules before posting.

LBJ Grasslands Deer Hunters Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1763066240400624/
There sure are a lot of NON-LBJ posts on the LBJ facebook page
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #405
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
There sure are a lot of NON-LBJ posts on the LBJ facebook page
Agreed, kind of annoying.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #406
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

But there have been some nice bucks posted that were actually killed on LBJ as well. I feel like the weather has really called for a good season across the US so far. A lot of midwest hunting shows I watched have killed a lot of bucks, abnormally early this year.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #407
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Athens/Denton, Tx
Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
There sure are a lot of NON-LBJ posts on the LBJ facebook page
noticed that too, some folks need to understand were not there too see your daily facebook posts....I hunted there yesterday evening and this morning, saw 4 bucks, 5-6 doe....they were running hard, had a very very nice buck almost come into my pinch point, but he was hot on a doe and went south of me...
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #408
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

It was hot and heavy out there this time last year. Shot a buck on Nov 11th that was chasing a doe, couldn't find him though...
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #409
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
It was hot and heavy out there this time last year. Shot a buck on Nov 11th that was chasing a doe, couldn't find him though...
Shot mine last season on Nov. 12th. Was out this year on the 12th and the are definitely chasing right now. Saw plenty just never a shooter. Someone posted a pic of the buck they shot out there opening weekend of gun season. and it was the buck I have been chasing for the past 2 years. Was a bit defeated. Going to get back out Friday. Also agree there are way to many non LBJ posts in that group in my opinion. It isn't something worth rocking the boat on but it does get annoying from time to time.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #410
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Shot mine last season on Nov. 12th. Was out this year on the 12th and the are definitely chasing right now. Saw plenty just never a shooter. Someone posted a pic of the buck they shot out there opening weekend of gun season. and it was the buck I have been chasing for the past 2 years. Was a bit defeated. Going to get back out Friday. Also agree there are way to many non LBJ posts in that group in my opinion. It isn't something worth rocking the boat on but it does get annoying from time to time.
Was it posted on facebook?
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #411
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
Was it posted on facebook?
Yes. Not by me but by the guy who shot it.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #412
mbranch
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Ill Be headed out friday. staying till monday afternoon im pumped.
mbranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 02:32 AM   #413
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default 2019 LBJ Grassland

Killed my first public land buck today! Put down my bow for the past 2 days and went out with the slug gun. It was a hellacious drag out but got it done with a good friend of mine. Makes all the hours of using OnX maps to scout and miles I have walked scouting worth it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #414
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Way to go Jeremy! Congrats to you! Good first buck on PL. I know you've been trying for a long time. Well deserved.



Your dad was so excited, he sent me a pic while yall were still dragging it out.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #415
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

And regardless of what others say on this web site, there is a sub culture TG pic following (TG= tail gate pics). And I like-em!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #416
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Thanks Mike!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #417
jnd1959
Eight Point
 
jnd1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

Congrats! Nice buck. I could of swore I put my name on him!

Well earned!
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2019, 11:25 PM   #418
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Congrats! Nice buck. I could of swore I put my name on him!

Well earned!


LOL. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #419
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Athens/Denton, Tx
Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County
Default

My buddy lives near Decatur and didnít even know about lbj until I told him about it, we hunted a lot together so far this season

He killed an old ugly stub buck last week lol, cool little rack but heís going to eat well, I helped him butcher it and we got some good cuts

He said he came running in right too him, got him at 20 yards with a crossbow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 02:03 AM   #420
Blood Trail
Pope & Young
 
Blood Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Killed my first public land buck today! Put down my bow for the past 2 days and went out with the slug gun. It was a hellacious drag out but got it done with a good friend of mine. Makes all the hours of using OnX maps to scout and miles I have walked scouting worth it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Is that an H&R Ultra Slug Gun?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 02:10 AM   #421
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default 2019 LBJ Grassland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
Is that an H&R Ultra Slug Gun?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Youíre correct sir


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #422
Blood Trail
Pope & Young
 
Blood Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Youíre correct sir


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


One of the most accurate ever made. Sucks the stopped making them. I have 3. 2 in 12 and one 20.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #423
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

I've seen pics of two deer killed with that very same gun this year, so far. Both in Wise county. But two different hunters, two different locations.



And I've got one of those also that I've shot a few deer with. Great guns, if you can find one.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #424
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I've seen pics of two deer killed with that very same gun this year, so far. Both in Wise county. But two different hunters, two different locations.



And I've got one of those also that I've shot a few deer with. Great guns, if you can find one.


I know yours is accurate cause Iíve dropped deer with it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #425
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
One of the most accurate ever made. Sucks the stopped making them. I have 3. 2 in 12 and one 20.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Itís my pops gun. I like em! A little heavy for my style of hunting, but carries for miles through the woods better than I originally thought it would.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #426
Blood Trail
Pope & Young
 
Blood Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Itís my pops gun. I like em! A little heavy for my style of hunting, but carries for miles through the woods better than I originally thought it would.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Took mine on a hog hunt where it was all spot and stalk. Will never do that again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #427
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
Took mine on a hog hunt where it was all spot and stalk. Will never do that again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yeah. Iím looking at a Mossberg 500 slug gun for next season. Any other recommendations?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #428
Blood Trail
Pope & Young
 
Blood Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Yeah. Iím looking at a Mossberg 500 slug gun for next season. Any other recommendations?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Perfect. I have a Mossberg slug gun and itís accurate too. That my gun of choice for spot and stalk now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #429
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
Perfect. I have a Mossberg slug gun and itís accurate too. That my gun of choice for spot and stalk now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Awesome. Thanks and good luck!

We had a good sit this evening. Saw 2 does and some good sign.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #430
jnd1959
Eight Point
 
jnd1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #431
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Yeah. Iím looking at a Mossberg 500 slug gun for next season. Any other recommendations?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to have one in 12ga. Sold it a few years ago, but it shot 2" groups at 100yds.

I might buy another one in 20ga
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #432
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
I used to have one in 12ga. Sold it a few years ago, but it shot 2" groups at 100yds.



I might buy another one in 20ga


Cool thanks for the input! Why the 20? Just curious


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #433
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

I got a Savage 220 slug gun in .20 a few years ago. It's pretty sweet! I've only shot it a few times though and it's not sighted in yet.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #434
bmac
Ten Point
 
bmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Weatherford
Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD
Default

I think the 12 vs 20 gets to how much recoil you can handle. I sold my 12 slug gun and got a 20 as after 4 shots it was painful. I dreaded pulling the trigger as I know it was a mule. Now I have a savage 220 and it is better, and still a stiff but now tolerable recoil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #435
jnd1959
Eight Point
 
jnd1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

Are these single shot or pump guns? I could swing a single shot slug gun I think.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 12:28 AM   #436
Blood Trail
Pope & Young
 
Blood Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....
Default 2019 LBJ Grassland

I think a lot of grown men complain too much about 12 ga recoil. You never feel it when your pull the trigger on game. Any slug ainít for plinking at the range.


My 11 year old son killed his buck a couple of weeks ago with a 12 ga. He didnít say a word about the recoil.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 12:30 AM   #437
Blood Trail
Pope & Young
 
Blood Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Are these single shot or pump guns? I could swing a single shot slug gun I think.


HR is a single. 220 is a bolt gun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #438
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Like said Blood Trail said above, you don't notice the recoil most of the time when you bring down those sights on game. I see shooters at the range shooting off a bench with the body set up in a more forward rigid position. And with shoulders square to the gun. Try slanting your body slightly with one shoulder more forward than the stock side when on a bench so that your shoulders give a bit when the shot occurs. Also a good sandbag, thick winter jacket, or recoil pad on the shoulder can reduce the felt recoil making the shooting session longer. Try shooting a few off-hand. And you will notice how the recoil is reduced. Your body is not in the squared position. And allowed to move when the recoil occurs.




For those in the market for a bolt action slug gun, both Marlin and Browning produce(d) them also. There are a few others. But the price starts going up. If I remember correctly, Rem had one on their 700 action for a very short limited run. I'm not sure if it was ever commercial available. They also had a limited run on a muzzle loader with their 700 action.


For those who want a pump gun, several rifled barrels are offered by mfgs. Rem offers barrels for most all models of the 870. Mossburg dose for the 500 and 835. Benellie has limited runs for the Nova and Super Nova barrels. There are a good number of mfgrs that offer "Deer Models". But not all of them have rifled barrels. "Hastings" was another older after market mfgr (and very popular during their day) that gave great results from their barrels. Unfortunately, they have gone out of business. They offered great alternatives back in the day, to having to buy a Rem barrel from Rem, or Ithaca, and many others.


Rem also offers barrels for several of it's semi-autos with fully rifled barrels.

If you want to top your pump gun (or a Rem semi-auto) with a scope, look for a barrel with a cantilever mount. It's a mount that is permanently attached to the barrel, extends up off the barrel, and travels rearward over the receiver. This allows mounting of scopes with conventional eye relief (vs using one with a long eye relief if the barrel is drilled and tapped). Many mfgs are also drilling and tapping the receivers today. Mostly for use with Red dots demanded by turkey hunters. But scope base(s) and rings can be mounted to some receivers. Problem with that, and thus the invention of the cantilever barrel, is the barrel (on guns with removable barrels) shifts in the receiver when fired. So the POI changes slightly at longer yardages. The cantilever scope mount eliminates a lot of that due to it being attached to the barrel. So when the barrel shifts, the scope (and POI) shifts with it. Bolt guns do not have that problem. As the barrel is pinned to the receiver so it doesn't shift. And of course, most single shots have the scope base mounted to the barrel as well.


Also, if you find a single shot with a rifled barrel, and it is not drilled and tapped for scope bases, it might or might not be able to have that done depending on the gun. I ran across one another member on here bought several years ago. And the barrel walls were to thin to drill and tap it for a scope base. It did have Buckhorn open sights on it. But wasn't meant to be used with a scope. There are also barrels with smooth bores that have open types of sights also. And they can help when aiming at a target at closer ranges (sub 100 yard). Many "Defense" type shotguns have those types of sights so that buckshot or slugs can be used in them.


Then there is also the "screw-in" choke tube. These, with good optics or some type of sights, can increase your accuracy a good bit out to 100 yards.



This is meant to just help a few get into the slug game if your interested in it. I've been hunting and shooting slugs since the late 1970s. Blood Trail has been doing a lot of experimenting with both slug and buckshot loads of all types. And has lots of great info to offer. It's good to see more folks have taken up shooting slug guns.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-30-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #439
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young
 
Buckshot-73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson
Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose
Default

I just wish I could kill a deer with my USH.
Everyone else does.


I would like to locate a rifled barrel for my 870 express, in 16ga.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #440
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young
 
Buckshot-73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson
Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose
Default

Also, my painful journey starts over, since Remington apparently stopped making copper solids.


After shot 24, my old shoulder hurts for 2 weeks.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #441
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
Also, my painful journey starts over, since Remington apparently stopped making copper solids.


After shot 24, my old shoulder hurts for 2 weeks.
Just get a lead sled. Worth the money if working with slug guns or high caliber rifles.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #442
rolylane6
Four Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Just get a lead sled. Worth the money if working with slug guns or high caliber rifles.
I second this^^^

I let the sled handle all the recoil until its "tuned", then shoot a couple off the shoulder to make sure the shoulder shoots the same zero as the sled.


Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #443
rolylane6
Four Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Like said Blood Trail said above, you don't notice the recoil most of the time when you bring down those sights on game. I see shooters at the range shooting off a bench with the body set up in a more forward rigid position. And with shoulders square to the gun. Try slanting your body slightly with one shoulder more forward than the stock side when on a bench so that your shoulders give a bit when the shot occurs. Also a good sandbag, thick winter jacket, or recoil pad on the shoulder can reduce the felt recoil making the shooting session longer. Try shooting a few off-hand. And you will notice how the recoil is reduced. Your body is not in the squared position. And allowed to move when the recoil occurs.




For those in the market for a bolt action slug gun, both Marlin and Browning produce(d) them also. There are a few others. But the price starts going up. If I remember correctly, Rem had one on their 700 action for a very short limited run. I'm not sure if it was ever commercial available. They also had a limited run on a muzzle loader with their 700 action.


For those who want a pump gun, several rifled barrels are offered by mfgs. Rem offers barrels for most all models of the 870. Mossburg dose for the 500 and 835. Benellie has limited runs for the Nova and Super Nova barrels. There are a good number of mfgrs that offer "Deer Models". But not all of them have rifled barrels. "Hastings" was another older after market mfgr (and very popular during their day) that gave great results from their barrels. Unfortunately, they have gone out of business. They offered great alternatives back in the day, to having to buy a Rem barrel from Rem, or Ithaca, and many others.


Rem also offers barrels for several of it's semi-autos with fully rifled barrels.

If you want to top your pump gun (or a Rem semi-auto) with a scope, look for a barrel with a cantilever mount. It's a mount that is permanently attached to the barrel, extends up off the barrel, and travels rearward over the receiver. This allows mounting of scopes with conventional eye relief (vs using one with a long eye relief if the barrel is drilled and tapped). Many mfgs are also drilling and tapping the receivers today. Mostly for use with Red dots demanded by turkey hunters. But scope base(s) and rings can be mounted to some receivers. Problem with that, and thus the invention of the cantilever barrel, is the barrel (on guns with removable barrels) shifts in the receiver when fired. So the POI changes slightly at longer yardages. The cantilever scope mount eliminates a lot of that due to it being attached to the barrel. So when the barrel shifts, the scope (and POI) shifts with it. Bolt guns do not have that problem. As the barrel is pinned to the receiver so it doesn't shift. And of course, most single shots have the scope base mounted to the barrel as well.


Also, if you find a single shot with a rifled barrel, and it is not drilled and tapped for scope bases, it might or might not be able to have that done depending on the gun. I ran across one another member on here bought several years ago. And the barrel walls were to thin to drill and tap it for a scope base. It did have Buckhorn open sights on it. But wasn't meant to be used with a scope. There are also barrels with smooth bores that have open types of sights also. And they can help when aiming at a target at closer ranges (sub 100 yard). Many "Defense" type shotguns have those types of sights so that buckshot or slugs can be used in them.


Then there is also the "screw-in" choke tube. These, with good optics or some type of sights, can increase your accuracy a good bit out to 100 yards.



This is meant to just help a few get into the slug game if your interested in it. I've been hunting and shooting slugs since the late 1970s. Blood Trail has been doing a lot of experimenting with both slug and buckshot loads of all types. And has lots of great info to offer. It's good to see more folks have taken up shooting slug guns.
A semi auto with a cantelever mount is awesome. The semi auto takes a lot of recoil out of the slug. I shoot an Rem 1187 Sportsman with rifled cantilever and a cabelas slugger ex scope that's calibrated for hornaday sst sabots and it's incredibly accurate and very forgiving on the shoulder. I have yet to have a deer go more than 40 yds and shots to 175 yds haven't been a problem.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #444
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Like said Blood Trail said above, you don't notice the recoil most of the time when you bring down those sights on game. I see shooters at the range shooting off a bench with the body set up in a more forward rigid position. And with shoulders square to the gun. Try slanting your body slightly with one shoulder more forward than the stock side when on a bench so that your shoulders give a bit when the shot occurs. Also a good sandbag, thick winter jacket, or recoil pad on the shoulder can reduce the felt recoil making the shooting session longer. Try shooting a few off-hand. And you will notice how the recoil is reduced. Your body is not in the squared position. And allowed to move when the recoil occurs.




For those in the market for a bolt action slug gun, both Marlin and Browning produce(d) them also. There are a few others. But the price starts going up. If I remember correctly, Rem had one on their 700 action for a very short limited run. I'm not sure if it was ever commercial available. They also had a limited run on a muzzle loader with their 700 action.


For those who want a pump gun, several rifled barrels are offered by mfgs. Rem offers barrels for most all models of the 870. Mossburg dose for the 500 and 835. Benellie has limited runs for the Nova and Super Nova barrels. There are a good number of mfgrs that offer "Deer Models". But not all of them have rifled barrels. "Hastings" was another older after market mfgr (and very popular during their day) that gave great results from their barrels. Unfortunately, they have gone out of business. They offered great alternatives back in the day, to having to buy a Rem barrel from Rem, or Ithaca, and many others.


Rem also offers barrels for several of it's semi-autos with fully rifled barrels.

If you want to top your pump gun (or a Rem semi-auto) with a scope, look for a barrel with a cantilever mount. It's a mount that is permanently attached to the barrel, extends up off the barrel, and travels rearward over the receiver. This allows mounting of scopes with conventional eye relief (vs using one with a long eye relief if the barrel is drilled and tapped). Many mfgs are also drilling and tapping the receivers today. Mostly for use with Red dots demanded by turkey hunters. But scope base(s) and rings can be mounted to some receivers. Problem with that, and thus the invention of the cantilever barrel, is the barrel (on guns with removable barrels) shifts in the receiver when fired. So the POI changes slightly at longer yardages. The cantilever scope mount eliminates a lot of that due to it being attached to the barrel. So when the barrel shifts, the scope (and POI) shifts with it. Bolt guns do not have that problem. As the barrel is pinned to the receiver so it doesn't shift. And of course, most single shots have the scope base mounted to the barrel as well.


Also, if you find a single shot with a rifled barrel, and it is not drilled and tapped for scope bases, it might or might not be able to have that done depending on the gun. I ran across one another member on here bought several years ago. And the barrel walls were to thin to drill and tap it for a scope base. It did have Buckhorn open sights on it. But wasn't meant to be used with a scope. There are also barrels with smooth bores that have open types of sights also. And they can help when aiming at a target at closer ranges (sub 100 yard). Many "Defense" type shotguns have those types of sights so that buckshot or slugs can be used in them.


Then there is also the "screw-in" choke tube. These, with good optics or some type of sights, can increase your accuracy a good bit out to 100 yards.



This is meant to just help a few get into the slug game if your interested in it. I've been hunting and shooting slugs since the late 1970s. Blood Trail has been doing a lot of experimenting with both slug and buckshot loads of all types. And has lots of great info to offer. It's good to see more folks have taken up shooting slug guns.


Thanks for the info Mike!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #445
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
I just wish I could kill a deer with my USH.
Everyone else does.


I would like to locate a rifled barrel for my 870 express, in 16ga.

That is one barrel I've never seen Rem produce. Nor have I seen any for .410 or 28ga. But they do have them for all the 12 and 20ga 870s. Just make sure the barrel you order or get is the one for the model of 870 you have. ALL the 870 models are not the same. And change with every mod that Rem made to produce newer models.


One thing that I have seen some die hard slug pump-gun/simi-auto users do is dedicate a barrel to a receiver by having the barrel pinned to the receiver by a competent gun smith. That way it reduces the barrel shift when fired helping to hold the POI.



And don't rule out the little .410. It's capable of taking 300lb Ohio Whitetail. I've seen several fall to such demise. And it will certainly take down Texas sized deer. You just need to limit your shots to being close. As the little 1/5 lead slug is not much. But is certainly capable of downing a deer or small pig within reasonable range. Being most have a smooth bore, I'd personally keep it to 50 yards or less. The closer, the better. But that's just me.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-30-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2019, 10:13 PM   #446
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

I reluctantly got permission from my wife to go hunt the last evening of doe days today. Left my house about 3pm, got in the tree about 4:15 pm, saw 0 deer on stand. Saw a buck walking out but not sure what he was. It's the first time in about 4-5 sits that I haven't seen a deer from that spot. It was a beautiful night though!

Good luck to you all still going after horns!
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #447
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
I just wish I could kill a deer with my USH.
Everyone else does.

I would like to locate a rifled barrel for my 870 express, in 16ga.
I've never seen a rifled 16ga. Also never seen Sabots in 16ga.

You will likely be limited to Rifled Slugs and Buckshot
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #448
Linehand6
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default

I’m shooting the savage 220 most accurate slug I’ve ever shot
Linehand6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #449
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linehand6 View Post
Iím shooting the savage 220 most accurate slug Iíve ever shot
What brand ammo do you suggest for this gun?
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #450
Linehand6
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
I reluctantly got permission from my wife to go hunt the last evening of doe days today. Left my house about 3pm, got in the tree about 4:15 pm, saw 0 deer on stand. Saw a buck walking out but not sure what he was. It's the first time in about 4-5 sits that I haven't seen a deer from that spot. It was a beautiful night though!

Good luck to you all still going after horns!
If you get to o back and get something give me a holler Iím training a tracking dog and would like to put him on some good blood trails
Linehand6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com