Move to Southwest Colorado???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to Denver tomorrow for a final interview back in orthopedic surgical sales, I did total joints, sports med and trauma back before the oil patch.

Anyway, does anyone live in or have lived in Grand Junction or Montrose, Colorado area? Was looking at Durango, but the prices are nuts and I'd actually be in Farmington, NM most of the time. Not a big fan of that, being that I've already lived in NM right out of college.

I spent an afternoon in Montrose last fall on my way to scout for a mule deer hunt, seems like a nice town. Just curious if anyone lives or has lived in that part of the world???

What about Pagosa?

Comment

My in-laws lived in Palisade for a while and they absolutely loved it(this was 12-13 years ago). I only got to visit once before they moved, but I absolutely loved it too. More to do outdoors than you could wrap your head around, mild winters and summers, good little airport in GJ, great sized town. The only reason I wouldn’t REALLY want to live there is because of how liberal CO is becoming. The West Slope is still pretty red, but the state is run by the front range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

SonoftheSouth lives up there (Bayfield)

I bought some land from him in the same neighborhood a few years ago.

I much prefer the Durango-Pagosa Springs area to most of the rest of the state.

Grand Junction used to be a fun little town, years ago when I spent a lot of time around Powderhorn (Mesa).

Comment

Originally posted by TxBobcat View Post
          What about Pagosa?
          Too Far East for the position, and there isn’t much there either. As far as full time living is concerned.

Comment

Like I told you. Give it a few years. Doesn’t have to be for the rest of your life [emoji6] Plus you know you and your kids will love it.

Last edited by JTeLarkin08; 08-12-2020, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I lived in Fruita, right outside of GJ, for 11 years. That valley is a sportsman’s paradise. Would move back there in a second if it wasNt for my custody rules.

Comment

Hunted the Uncompaghre Nat'l Forest from the early 80' into the 2000's. Grand Junction was a nice place. We used to ride dirt bikes and trials bikes there, a lot of outdoor activities. Finally settled in Ft.Collins but always liked the western slope area.

Comment

I used to live in GJ. Could probably answer any questions you have.

Comment

Check out Delores. It’s not far from Durango abs I think it would be much cheaper. My dad had friends who lived there. It’s a nice little town

Comment

Delta is a nice little town also.

Comment

No but day dream all the time of moving there

Comment

We kill some nice elk every year up there in GJ..heading back in a couple months. Douglas pass off 139 just north of town.
                          I have spent a good amount of time there over the last 7 years it has surprised me how much GJ has grown. There is everything you need right in town and the wilderness is a short 30min drive. There is thousands of acres of BLM land to ride and hunt just outside of town. They have one of the best long shooting ranges I have ever shot (1300yd gongs) and its all free BLM. I considered taking a good job offer there but my current one is really hard to beat.

Good luck, and I wouldn't hesitate to move there if I had the opportunity.

Comment

My family owned a ranch in Hesperus co , west of Durango, it was nice being in the foot hills
                            Of south west Colorado, ,

Small town and easy to get around the area, good hunting and fishing
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-12-2020, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I have lived in both Durango and Grand Junction during the early years of my career and covered all of that portion of Colorado you are talking about.

If you are going to be in Farmington most of the time, keep in mind that the drive from Montrose to Farmington during the winter months would get pretty old. Having said that, Montrose is a great little community, as is Ouray on the North side of Red Mountain Pass.

If I were going to spend that much time in Farmington and Durango was too expensive, I would probably go a little east to Pagosa Springs unless you want to go a little West to Cortez, Mancos and that area.

It is a beautiful part of the state for sure but compared to living in New Mexico, your taxes and cost of living are going to be higher. Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X