Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
    Looks great. Is that 4 x 6 blind or 5 x 6. Can’t really tell. Thanks

It’s 4x6 I thought I put that somewhere? I think 5 would take too much more in materials without giving enough extra room to justify it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Seay View Post
      It’s 4x6 I thought I put that somewhere? I think 5 would take too much more in materials without giving enough extra room to justify it

Sorry. Size is in the title. Thanks anyway

Comment

Looks great. I want to do this. How many sheets of plywood did it take? Appears in the drawing, you had a short door...Did you switch to a taller door and did it mess up any of your pieces?
        Thanks

Comment

Looks great. How high up from the floor are your windows? Could you take another picture or two of your plans for us old guys to see better? $250 or so plus labor is a win in my book. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
            Looks great. I want to do this. How many sheets of plywood did it take? Appears in the drawing, you had a short door...Did you switch to a taller door and did it mess up any of your pieces?
            Thanks

You are correct on the door. And no it didn’t mess up or cost any extra OSB. After getting a couple of the sides together and standing next to them in person I quickly realized a short door would be more of a pain then I thought. Getting in and out with a rifle on your shoulder would never work!

It took 5 total sheets. The 4 in the drawn plans plus 1 more for the roof. But there are a couple extra cut pieces that will roll right on over to the second build making it only take 4 sheets. I will get measurements and pictures of the left overs when I get home this evening.

Comment

BUDGET 4x6 rifle blind build

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
              Looks great. How high up from the floor are your windows? Could you take another picture or two of your plans for us old guys to see better? $250 or so plus labor is a win in my book. Thanks

I will have to get another picture of the plans after work this evening.

Windows are 36” from bottom and 12” tall. These measurements made it easy to keep math straight in my head to prevent wasting useful OSB and 2x4 studs.

Also the question about using 2x2’s came up earlier. A total of 15 8’ 2x4’s is what it took to build. The cost difference wasn’t enough to worry about considering the ease of keeping things square using all 4” wide lumber. The extra weight wasn’t a factor either. Myself and one other were able to load it with ease. The base it sets on in the pictures lined up about an inch lower than my tailgate so I just sat in the bed of the truck and pushed it out with my legs no problem.

Comment

nice blind!

Comment

Nice thread. I "skimp" on some stuff, and like to see where other people do the same. Great price for a couple really nice stands!

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. View Post
                    Nice thread. I "skimp" on some stuff, and like to see where other people do the same. Great price for a couple really nice stands!

I hear ya! No doubt about it I would love to be able to dump $2500-$3000 cash on a heck of a nice blind. But it’s just not in me. Especially after how this turned out and more importantly for how cheap it ended up being.

I’m thinking after I finish 4x6 #2 I will TRY a hexagon shaped bow blind. Already have the wheels turning on plans for that one.

Comment

Thanks. I need two of these myself.

Comment

I hear ya! No doubt about it I would love to be able to dump $2500-$3000 cash on a heck of a nice blind. But it’s just not in me. Especially after how this turned out and more importantly for how cheap it ended up being.

I’m thinking after I finish 4x6 #2 I will TRY a hexagon shaped bow blind. Already have the wheels turning on plans for that one.

Nothing but air and opportunity!! I'll be watching for a follow up on the 6 sider!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Thanks. I need two of these myself.

For the second one we decided to move the door to the back side. I think it wastes just a little less OSB.

Comment

Thanks Seay,
                            Your drawings are well done,
                            took me a moment to get it clear in my head since I'm old, and haven't had enough coffee.

Top row, 4 pics are sheets of plywood with cut outs and dimensions.
                            Bottom row, 4 pics are view of the built blind. Correct?

So 4 sheets of plywood shown, plus a top and bottom are needed?

I don't see the Right Window shown in the top row. Did I miss it?
                            Thanks Again, Dozier

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                              Thanks Seay,
                              Your drawings are well done,
                              took me a moment to get it clear in my head since I'm old, and haven't had enough coffee.

Top row, 4 pics are sheets of plywood with cut outs and dimensions.
                              Bottom row, 4 pics are view of the built blind. Correct?

So 4 sheets of plywood shown, plus a top and bottom are needed?

I don't see the Right Window shown in the top row. Did I miss it?
                              Thanks Again, Dozier

All correct! Right window will be from one of the few left over cut outs from blind #1 good eye

Comment

All correct! Right window will be from one of the few left over cut outs from blind #1 good eye

Also if you look at the paper I drew the second plans on there are small dots. From dot to dot is 1/2 cm = 1/2 foot. That’s the scale I used to make it easier.
                                Another side note for those looking. In the drawing the windows are ALL the way across but I ended up covering 1’ on each side of each window and really like how it turned out.

Last edited by Seay; 08-12-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X