Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live hunt: Rocky Mountain National Park

Kind of. Lol.

No, Chongo and I didn’t get permission to cull the elk herd in RMNP, but we did get a hall pass from the wives to sneak away for the weekend and get some photos of the elk, sheep and all the amazing landscapes and scenery.

Initially the plan was to fly out tomorrow but after realizing how much it would cost to check our camera gear, we made the last minute decision to drive and save those fees as well as not have to deal with a rental car. Plus we will have more opportunities to shoot as me travel across Colorado on the way up and back. Left DFW at 11pm Thursday, stopped at buccees for ice and jerky and are making good time!

Plan to be in Raton pass around sunup and stop for a few Photos, then play it by ear up through CO. Feel free to offer any stop suggestions for some epic photos, we’d appreciate it. This will be my first trip ever to RMNP, and Congo’s first trip strictly for the purpose of photographing, so we expect little sleep, little food and tons of photos and frequent memory card dumps. We’re staying at an Airbnb in Estes park and have passes to the park for all 3 days, so we should be good on entries and opportunities to shoot all hours.

For the nerds in the group, here’s the gear breakdown:
    Chongo:
    1dX MK ii, Canon 500mm F4 IS, canon 2x extender
    5DS, Canon 16-35 F4 IS
    Gitzo 5543 tripod with Gitzo mountaineer gimbal head

Myself:
    5d Mk iv, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS ii, Canon 2x extender
    90d, Canon 10-22 3.5 & Sigma 18-35 1.8 (video lens)
    Hand-me-down manfrotto tripod

Hopefully will be posting updates, BTS shots as well as a few edited ones here as we have time. Thanks for tuning in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I turned over driving responsibilities and now I’m going to grab a few hours of shut eye.

The decision to pull all the seats was a solid one! Life is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh man I’m in for this! Sounds like an awesome trip! Subscribed!!

Comment

Safe travels
          Certainly plenty up the take photos of

Comment

I need to get out more.

you guys are going to have a blast!

RMNP is one of my favorite places on earth, for a couple of years I had unfettered access as an inholder. Never paid an entry fee and got some cool access to a few places behind the chains.

Comment

Looking forward to the pics

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

This big bull moose was hanging around the Sprauge Lake area four weeks ago. We saw four big mulies twice in the evening in a field south of Estes. Just checked and the cross street is Arapaho Rd. Might be worth a look if you want to photo big mulies. We saw plenty of nice ones in the park but these were giants.

Comment

Sounds like a cool trip. Good luck and stay safe.

Comment

That’s a good trip. Did you guys pack any fishing gear?

Should be some opportunity for pics of bear too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Safe travels. This flatlander is kinda jealous, you’re gonna enjoy the crisp mountain air.

If’n you have time, Pikes Peak has some spectacular views.

Comment

On your way up I not in any hurry don't take the interstate up. Hang a left at raton and take the back roads up through cuchara, canon city, buena vista or something like that. Will have way better views and lots of opportunities for pics. All roads should be fine and open going through there. And then you get to bypass pueblo colorado springs and denver. Which all suck to drive through and scenery sucks.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bishops castle is amazing for scenery if you can get there, royal gorge also a must, seven falls is also spectacular, pikes peak as well. These can all be hit on the way up and avoid the interstate.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Take Fall River road up to the RMNP visitors center. It is a one way dirt road and should have some good photo ops. Head to the Grand Lake side of the park and take some of the trails in the Kawuneeche valley on that side. Check out the McGregor Ranch north of Estes Park off the road to GlenHaven.

Comment

Working...
                              X