Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Kestrel Research Program (You can help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Kestrel Research Program (You can help!)

My daughter is the lead researcher in this program and I thought those who hunt in these counties could keep an eye out for her while you're in the hunting blind. I periodically see Kestrels while hunting in Throckmorton area, but she hasn't banded there, so I'm no help. Below is the info from her:

"Hey Texans, do you like raptors and scavenger hunts? If so, we need your help! Migrating American Kestrels have begun to move back into their winter territories across Texas and our team of researchers will begin their surveys for banded birds this month; we would love your help! If you are in Denton County or in one of the 5 central Texas counties we have banded in (Blanco, Gillespie, Kendall, Kerr, and Llano), please be on the lookout for American Kestrels with red leg bands. Any sightings of these birds help us tremendously and we will always message you back with any information about the kestrel you found. There are potentially 40 in Central Texas and 150 in North Texas, so your odds of finding one are pretty decent!"
    Attached Files

I spend some time in the Blanco area this time of year. I’ll keep my eyes out. That’s a cool project.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
      I spend some time in the Blanco area this time of year. I’ll keep my eyes out. That’s a cool project.
      Thanks. She took me out last February to help her trap and band, it was quite interesting for this old dad to go along and take orders from his daughter. Pretty cool experience though.

Comment

Really cool. Will be on the lookout and keep camera close. Has she posted on any birding websites too let people know to be watching for them?
        Last edited by Red_RaiderHTC; 10-10-2020, 08:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I’m in Blanco county ( Cypress Mlll ) I’ll keep an eye out

Comment

Originally posted by Red_RaiderHTC View Post
            Really cool. Will be on the lookout and keep camera close. Has she posted on any birding websites too let people know to be watching for them?
            She works closely with the Peregrine Fund and the American Kestrel Partnership. Their work in central Texas this spring also involves the Texas Audubon Society. I know she is working to get the word out, I just don’t know which sites. I told her the hundreds of hunters on TBH we’re about to spend 1000s of total hours in the field at prime hours and we could lend a lot more eyes to the project. They are cool birds to watch. Most hunters are like me in that we have seen them all our lives, just didn’t know what we were seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              I’m in Blanco county ( Cypress Mlll ) I’ll keep an eye out
              Thanks. She appreciates ever eye watching.

Comment

Working...
              X